Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Does Batman have the best rogues gallery in comics?

Batman is DC's most popular character, and is also widely considered to have the best rogues gallery at DC Comics, as well as one of the best in comics in general. I believe that's no coincidence, as I'm a firm believer in the saying "A hero is only as good as the villains he fights". Similarly, Spider-Man is Marvel's most popular character and is also widely considered to have the best rogues gallery at Marvel, with Bats and Spidey often being neck-and-neck for the best in comics overall. Do you agree?

Personally, I love Batman's rogues because all of them are unique and very fleshed-out. There's a good mix of superpowered and non-powered individuals, a good mix of backstories and motivations, and a good mix of appearances and personalities.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Yes, and it's not particularly close. The Joker alone probably only trails Batman, Superman, Spider-Man and Wolverine for popularity and cultural impact. Ask any non-comics fan on the street and most could name at least 5 Batman villains. No other character's rogues have anywhere near the name recognition and cultural significance of Joker, Catwoman, Riddler, Penguin, Scarecrow...and on and on
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-31-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Incredible Member

Batman certainly has the best Rogues Galley in comics. He has the most iconic villains as well.

Yes hands down he does. The closest runner up would be Spiderman but even that isn't close.

Batman's Rogues Gallery doesn't even have competition.

Batman has the best hands down. The closet Rogues Gallery in terms of popularity would probably be Spider-Man.

No he has the most overrated. The Joker sucks.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

How is this even a question? Of course. Then Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardNigma View Post
    Yes hands down he does. The closest runner up would be Spiderman but even that isn't close.
    Nothing could be clearer.

The only thing better than the rogues gallery is pinups of the rogues gallery.

BANNED

Batman has indeed the best rogue gallery in comic book history. His villains are a representation of his personality and a psychological extension of himself. When Batman fights his villains, he fights his demons.

Amazing Member

I remember seeing a thread with a similar subject in the Spider-Man boards, and even most of them agreed that Batman's rogues are superior to Spidey's. Guess that says it all, really.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yes, easily. They're not only popular among comic fans, but they leave the other rogues galleries in the dust as far as mainstream popularity goes. It doesn't matter how many crappy stories they're in right now (and boy, are there a bunch), their legacy is unmatched.

They're my favorite too. I'm currently more interested in the villains of Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, and the rest right now but that's only because the Gotham rogues have been a part of my life since I was 4-5 years old and I like to broaden my horizons. But I'll always go back to them as my #1.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Huh. I didn't know Gentleman Ghost was officially considered a Batman villain. I always thought he was primarily a Hawkman villain who occasionally tangled with Batman.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Arguably the most popular, but Superman and Spider-Man each have a better rogues gallery.