Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Spectacular Member ParticleFreezer's Avatar

No he doesn't, but I will concede has the single best villain in
    Joker, and won't even attempt to find a counterpart.

Magneto > Ras al Ghul
    Mystique > Catwoman (Jlawrence n Rebecca rjmain >WB actresses )
    Phoenix > court of owls
    Sentinels > mr freeze
    Juggernaut > bane
    Sebastian Shaw > riddler
    Stryker > Hugo strange
    White queen > talia
    Pyro > firefly
    Shadowking > scarecrow
    Saber tooth > crock

Astonishing Member

Batman has always had the best rogues gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by ParticleFreezer View Post
    No he doesn't, but I will concede has the single best villain in
    Joker, and won't even attempt to find a counterpart.

Magneto > Ras al Ghul
    Mystique > Catwoman (Jlawrence n Rebecca rjmain >WB actresses )
    Phoenix > court of owls
    Sentinels > mr freeze
    Juggernaut > bane
    Sebastian Shaw > riddler
    Stryker > Hugo strange
    White queen > talia
    Pyro > firefly
    Shadowking > scarecrow
    Saber tooth > crock
    None of those villians except for Magneto, Mystique and Phoenix are any where near the popularity of the others.

Astonishing Member

Second place goes to Spidey's.

What about the fantastic four. We got Galactus, Annihilus, Impossible man, Kree, Skrulls, Dr Doom, Namor, Frightful Four. Those are off the top of my head

Any decent costume party will tell you that the answer is yeah, Batman villains

Extraordinary Member

Trying to define the "best" rogues gallery is a losing battle without qualifiers. But I'd argue that in terms of iconic pop culture recognition and respect, even F4's great villains aren't as immediately recognizable as Batman's.

Dr. Doom may be recognizable to a lot of people, but is he as iconic as the Joker? Maybe. I doubt it, but maybe.

But the others don't stack up. Riddler, Two-Face, Penguin, Poison Ivy, Catwoman are all names kids bandy about on the playground. The Kree may get referenced by kids who like Guardians of the Galaxy, Galactis by the fun geeks who like to have fantasy battles against Unicron, but Annihilus? Impossible Man? The Kree? The Frightful Four? Heck, Aquaman's a hipster's favorite target to demonstrate their knowledge of tire Superfriends jokes and pathetic comics knowledge, and he's still more popular Namor.

All of them are arguably more powerful to such a degree that any kind of power rivalry goes to the F4 foes. So, best rogues gallery depends on your argument and your standards.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I don't think teams should really be compared to solo characters. If it were, the Justice League would have the best rogue's gallery because it encompasses all of the rogues for each individual hero. You cannot beat a list that includes all of Batman's villains, all of Superman's, all of the Flash' villains and all the other Leaguer's rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Not sure where that image originally came from (I also found it on a more recent blog site, but no attribution as to the original source), but I think we've got:
    I. Top Row =
    Hugo Strange
    Talia al Ghul
    Cat-Man
    Scarecrow
    Cavalier

II. Middle Row =
    Mr. Freeze
    Mad Hatter (the second one)
    Killer Moth
    Gentleman Ghost
    Getaway Genius
    Clayface (Hagen)
    Penguin
    Joker
    Two-Face
    Ra's al Ghul
    Riddler
    Captain Stingaree
    Clayface (Payne)
    Blockbuster (Mark Desmond)
    Black Spider (Eric Needham)
    The Spook (Val Kaliban)

III. Bottom Row =
    Tweedledee and Tweedledum
    Catwoman

Far as I remember it’s always been 1. Batman, 2. Spider-Man, and then X-Men, Superman, and Flash for the top 5. And only Batman and Spidey have a consistent order as number 1 and 2 respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Far as I remember it’s always been 1. Batman, 2. Spider-Man, and then X-Men, Superman, and Flash for the top 5. And only Batman and Spidey have a consistent order as number 1 and 2 respectively.
    Yeah Batman and Spidey have both quality and quantity. Easily the top 2 Rogues Gallery.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Obviously so, with a very close number 2 being Spider-Man.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

No, Batman easily can out upgrade his rogue gallery meaning Batman is force lose upgrades or he loses his gallery. Spiderman has bunch of villains in rogue's gallery that can upgrade right along with him like Vulture,Dr Octopus, Green Goblin,etc. Both Spiderman and Batman forced to stay status quo But when Spiderman has a run in Venom suit or Iron Spider suit most of his gallery can handle the upgrade. Any decent upgrade to batman suit and large chunk of his gallery goes in the trash. If Batman never upgrades he has the best gallery in comics but Spiderman and Superman have rogue galleries because they can grow along with them better.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Walk down the street and ask a random person to name 1 X-Men villain and see the blank stare. I would imagine most random people could list off 5 Batman villains without thinking too hard. The Joker is arguably the 3rd most popular character in comics period after Batman and Spider-Man and Harley Quinn may be the most popular female comic book character ever. Batman's rogues have more selling power than all but a few heroes
    Recognition does not mean anything in this convo, People are throwing out Batman villains names but the stories are what matter most importantly the payoff and Batman villians are interesting but Two face, Riddler, Joker, Penguin are not realistic physical match for Batman so the pay off meh. I rather the Deathstroke, Bane, Ra's al Ghul,Lady Shiva match ups because then you get the physical match up. Batman is probably the most popular comic book character of course his villains are recognizable and iconic. You have gotten 2 acts of amazing movie,It is time for Hero and Villain to have shown down in the 3 act, Nobody is really wants to see Penguin, Riddler and even Joker in fight with Batman. Batman gallery the big names that people are calling out are overrated quite honestly. It is Victor Zsasz, Kg beast, Lock up, etc who are pulling up his group the old standards villains make you question things.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-24-2018 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Not sure where that image originally came from (I also found it on a more recent blog site, but no attribution as to the original source), but I think we've got:
    I. Top Row =
    Hugo Strange
    Talia al Ghul
    Cat-Man
    Scarecrow
    Cavalier

II. Middle Row =
    Mr. Freeze
    Mad Hatter (the second one)
    Killer Moth
    Gentleman Ghost
    Getaway Genius
    Clayface (Hagen)
    Penguin
    Joker
    Two-Face
    Ra's al Ghul
    Riddler
    Captain Stingaree
    Clayface (Payne)
    Blockbuster (Mark Desmond)
    Black Spider (Eric Needham)
    The Spook (Val Kaliban)

III. Bottom Row =
    Tweedledee and Tweedledum
    Catwoman
    Did a little digging and it looks like that was from the digest The Best of DC #14 (July 1981).

and here's what they had as the answer to Who's Who for the 24 shown:

Incredible Member

My opinion, all according to perspective and each's personal bias preference - whether one is a "Superman person", one is a "Green Lantern person", one is a "Spider-Man person", even whether one is a "Hulk person", "Aquaman person", "Swamp Thing person", ect, ect.

DC-wide wise, one could argue Superman has the better - as there is Lex Luthor, Brainiac, General Zod, Metallo, Parasite, Mxyzptlk, Bizarros, Mongul, Doomsday - Most of them, not only great toe-to-toe against the Man of Steel, but also the Justice League of America / Superfriends in 70s-80s animation. The only way Joker or Riddler could or did possibly touch JLA was by using their cunnings to cheat, otherwise one punch KO, or all Superman had to do, would be to scoop them up, drop them to confinement facility.
    Last edited by ngroove; 09-25-2018 at 10:34 AM.