Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I'd give Spider-man a slight edge, but batman's got a lot of great ones too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
    How is this even a question? Of course. Then Spider-Man.
    I'd assume more people in general, for decades, recognized Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, and Riddler, as well as Lex Luthor, for decades, before "Green Goblin", 2002.
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-31-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Between his and the Flash, I think.

Spider-Man's rogues are overrated. Too many of them are dated and corny. Quantity isn't necessarily quality in his case, unfortunately.

I'd say the Flash and then Batman.

Batman certainly has the most iconic villains, but for me at least there isn't a Batman villain that's more interesting than the Rogues or Thawne.
    But are you the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?

BANNED

Spider-Man: Best Villains. But then again, it's hard for anybody to compete with Lex Luthor. This guy (at least in the Old 52) because he blamed Supes for making him go bald. You can't get nastier than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Between his and the Flash, I think.

Spider-Man's rogues are overrated. Too many of them are dated and corny. Quantity isn't necessarily quality in his case, unfortunately.
    Right. And Calendar Man is such a quality villain. The Sinister Six alone would eat Batman's main villains for breakfast. And I would love to see a crazy contest between the Joker and Carnage and which one would win in a fight. C'mon. Spider-Man wins hands down, but I will admit Batman villains get the most exposure.
    Last edited by the nomad; 05-31-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Incredible Member

As far as Marvel goes, I'd say Doctor Doom has been the representer of Marvel's fiends, moreso than Green Goblin or Doctor Octopus, Doom having been chief villain in almost every medium (except live action television), but his movies having been stinkers as well.

But I'd still say, in public recognition:

1. Joker
    2. Catwoman
    3. Penguin
    4. Riddler
    5. Lex Luthor
    6. General Zod
    7/or/8. Mister Mxyzptlk or Bizarro

Mister Freeze, also having been, from Batman (1966), until Beware the Batman, every single Batman television show, plus movie Batman & Robin (1997), praised or famously mocked, Arnold Schwarzenegger Freeze action.

Even Metallo, from Superboy, other than Legion of Superheroes, been in every Superman television show, live action or animated.

Joker
    Ra's al Ghul
    Riddler
    Penguin
    Scarecrow
    Catwoman

Yes, he does and I don't think it's particularly close

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    Right. And Calendar Man is such a quality villain. The Sinister Six alone would eat Batman's main villains for breakfast. And I would love to see a crazy contest between the Joker and Carnage and which one would win in a fight. C'mon. Spider-Man wins hands down, but I will admit Batman villains get the most exposure.
    Mindless "Metahuman" like Powers isn't always everything.
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-31-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Mighty Member

I think the Fantastic Four is close, the only thing is that their villains become larger than them to the point where few of them are considered Fantastic Four villains anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Joker
    Ra's al Ghul
    Riddler
    Penguin
    Scarecrow
    Catwoman

Yes, he does and I don't think it's particularly close
    Joker- Carnage
    Ra's al Ghul- Green Goblin (Neither Knows how to stay Dead)
    Riddler- Doc Ock
    Penguin- Kingpin
    Scarecrow- Mysterio
    Catwoman- Black Cat (She's on the edge of being a villain. Kinda. It's complicated. Read Amazing Spider-Man #1)

You know what, I think they both have equally interesting characters, who pose a great threat to their respective universe. How about that. No one is better than anybody.
    Last edited by the nomad; 05-31-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Astonishing Member

100% yes. Spidey's second.

Sinestro is another great villain who's really stepped up over the years, but isn't enough to take away the limelight from Batman's villains. For me, there's a far more psychological edge to them that writers haven't shied away from, which makes them more appealing to read about and deconstruct from certain perspectives.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Mindless "Metahuman" like Powers isn't always everything.
    Neither is mindless killing just because it's fun. But again, both characters have equally compelling characters, no one is better than anyone and they both have good villains. Fair.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    Neither is mindless killing just because it's fun. But again, both characters have equally compelling characters, no one is better than anyone and they both have good villains. Fair.
    No, Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, Two-Face, ect, is more than just potentially fatal physical action, they use CUNNING. They use their wits and ruthlessness and environment to time and again cause trouble for Batman, Robin, Batgirl, ect, way, to more than make up for their lack of "super". Even time and again, just pure savagery of desperation of what Joker is capable to do when cornered into physical confrontation leads to more dramatically compelling showdowns, than some "zapfest" of zapping, or webbing, or busting walls.
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-31-2014 at 11:16 PM.