Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It is kind of a sticking point to me that Batman's villains are all just overtly twisted characters. Luthor and Osborn can hold office (I hate the respective executions, but still) because part of what makes them work is that they are often written as the hero of their own story. Norman's crimes have been brought to light, but he's able to maintain credibility as a wealthy politician. DC characters get a little more leg room since the company has rebooted twice. But Joker and Two-Face should very clearly never be allowed out of jail, never mind able to run wild in the same city time after time.

No, I don't. I think it's good that Batman's villains are iconic. That's not all there is to it but it is a core strength of any fictional character. Now if there was no contest, there would not be a second page to this thread.
    Oversimplifying much? Spider-Man is my favorite superhero and his supporting cast is the best there is in comics but Bruce clearly has the better villains.

And FYI, great stories have been done with the Penguin running for prominent posts of public office. Batman Returns included. In fact, I'd say election campaigns for Oswald Cobblepot are always more interesting than Luthor's and especially Osborn's as he is often preying on the goodness of people and their sympathy for the outcast. That's what makes him such a wonderfully fascinating and evil villain.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
    Better Question who is the best Superhero?
    That'd be Superman; but for most people, opposition-wise, most remembers solely Lex Luthor the easiest. Superman is more known for his super-strength, super-flight, super-breath, and his optimism to do all that is right; the proud image of Superman alone, whether breaking chains, or standing heroic pose.

I think the Joker alone puts Batman's rogue gallery ahead of a guy like Flash's. Flash has some great villain but credit has to be given if a character can successfully dominate in every media it appears in (66 TV show, BTAS, B89, TDK)

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I think the Joker alone puts Batman's rogue gallery ahead of a guy like Flash's. Flash has some great villain but credit has to be given if a character can successfully dominate in every media it appears in (66 TV show, BTAS, B89, TDK)
    The Joker isn't actually all that interesting of a villain, when you realize that writers use the "he's crazy!" excuse to make him do anything they want him to for his stories.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt396
    KGBeast,Killer Moth,Lock Up,Harley Quinn,Man-Bat,Ventriloquist,Lady Shiva
    Harry, the Vultures, Morbius, Silvermane, Cardiac, Hammerhead, Anti-Venom. There's hardly an objective measure of quality so the numbers game is amusing.

And I doubt anyone would bother disagreeing for its own sake. In fact I'm pretty sure you'd get a lot more resistance outside of the Batman board.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 06-01-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    The Joker isn't actually all that interesting of a villain, when you realize that writers use the "he's crazy!" excuse to make him do anything they want him to for his stories.
    It isn't just comics. He's one of the most iconic and popular movie villains of all time and his cartoon adaptation is still incredibly popular.

BANNED

I really can't answer this question, because my comic book collection has mostly been limited to core 'family' books, such as the X-Men, Batman and Spiderman. So I am not familiar with the general run down of most villains in the industry. But from what I have read there are far more interesting rogues or villains than those that Batman has. What? with the exception of Catwoman, Ra's and The Penguin. All of Batman's villains are mostly just anti-social nut jobs...they aren't fully formed characters. A good villain in my eyes doesn't consider himself or herself to be a villain. It's why I love Doctor Doom and Ra's. There should also be some complexity to them. Batman's villains (for the most part) just want to destroy stuff and jump up and down with fiendish glee as they watch society be repulsed by them. Boring.

Incredible Member

Why exactly are everyone just viewing Bat-Nemeses as CRAZY???

Joker = jokes, cards, himself
    Riddlers = riddles, puzzles
    Catwoman = cats, or things that start with the word "Cat"
    Penguin = birds, umbrellas
    Two-Face = chances, the number "2"
    Mad Hatter = hats
    Scarecrow = he's the original "scaring people", with burlap sacked namesake
    Black Mask = masks, physically or metaphorically, also once upon a time, personally against Bruce Wayne

It was Grant Morrison who started the concept of Arkham psychos representing psychology garbage, followed by all going to Heck soonafter.
    Last edited by ngroove; 06-01-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Spectacular Member

Batman's villains are good characters. Spider-man's are unique in that they are often sad sack losers kind of like he is at times and there is such a wide range. Keep in mind you could count even The Punisher as a Spider-man villain/antihero. The Flash's rogues have been well rounded characters over the years, even if not well known. It's not surprising why the Suicide Squad/Secret Six used so many of the Bat and Flash rogues over the years, they are well established characters. Superman's villains take a step up if you count Darkseid as one of his villains. I don't think Superman's rogues gallery is near as deep, but the top is pretty impressive.

Fantastic Four have some pretty powerful villains and the cast of the comic introduced many other iconic Marvel characters like the Silver Surfer, The Inhumans and Black Panther. For firepower- Dr. Doom, Galactus, Molecule Man, Annihilus (& Negative Zone), Immortus/Rama Tut (which is shared w/ Avengers Kang), Kree and Skrulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    But from what I have read there are far more interesting rogues or villains than those that Batman has. What? with the exception of Catwoman, Ra's and The Penguin. All of Batman's villains are mostly just anti-social nut jobs...they aren't fully formed characters. A good villain in my eyes doesn't consider himself or herself to be a villain. It's why I love Doctor Doom and Ra's. There should also be some complexity to them. Batman's villains (for the most part) just want to destroy stuff and jump up and down with fiendish glee as they watch society be repulsed by them.
    And they constantly lounge in Arkham Asylum
    That's how I see the majority of the bat villains
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Extraordinary Member

It's Batman vs Spiderman no matter what, but in the world of comics, I think Batman holds the edge thanks to a bit more acceptance of his more obscure B-and-C listers. The A-teams match up pretty well, but Spider-man's both younger as a franchise than Batman and I think had more focus put on his best villains, leaving him with a somewhat smaller iconic rogue's gallery, while Batman's had a few more character resuscitations thanks to Grant Morrison, Paul Dini, and Batman Brave and the Bold.

Though there is some definite overlap and more than a few debts both groups owe to each other. Goblin killing Gwen Stacy is still the first huge WTF moment in comics, and Joker's win column probably was paved by The Night Gwen Stacy Died. Similarly, Black Cat is basically just Catwoman in Spider-man's world.

I do still feel that more kids can name more Batman bad guys than Spiderman, but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It's Batman vs Spiderman no matter what, but in the world of comics, I think Batman holds the edge thanks to a bit more acceptance of his more obscure B-and-C listers. The A-teams match up pretty well, but Spider-man's both younger as a franchise than Batman and I think had more focus put on his best villains, leaving him with a somewhat smaller iconic rogue's gallery, while Batman's had a few more character resuscitations thanks to Grant Morrison, Paul Dini, and Batman Brave and the Bold.

Though there is some definite overlap and more than a few debts both groups owe to each other. Goblin killing Gwen Stacy is still the first huge WTF moment in comics, and Joker's win column probably was paved by The Night Gwen Stacy Died. Similarly, Black Cat is basically just Catwoman in Spider-man's world.

I do still feel that more kids can name more Batman bad guys than Spiderman, but not by much.
    For whatever reason people don't want to admit it but one group is way more iconic,my wife knows Batman's foes she has no clue about Spider man's just the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
    For whatever reason people don't want to admit it but one group is way more iconic,my wife knows Batman's foes she has no clue about Spider man's just the truth.
    Not everyone defines the best rogue's gallery as the most iconic one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kencana View Post
    Well, Lex Luthor is one of the smartest man in the world. It's a proof that he show his smartness.
    Being the smartest man in the world proves and means nothing. Its common knowledge that Luthor tried to kill one of Earth greatest hero in the name of Superman and yet the people decided to vote for Lex. It does not make sense at all especially regarding his past criminal record known to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Kencana View Post
    That still didn't answer my question. Why Bruce don't deduce Dr. Jeremiah as an enemy? He's supposed to be a smart detective. Why he cannot see through his nonsense? Arkham Asylum is pretty useless at doing their job. Their patient often escapes. It's been proofed over and over. I've often heard people saying Bruce is as smart as Sherlock Holmes. I cannot imagine Sherlock Holmes don't see through a villain nonsense.
    Because Dr. Jeremiah never acted like the enemy here. He never did anything legally wrong. Having favors from powerful people does not prove you are criminal. Thats only prove you are smart enough to have the right people in the right place helping you when needed. See, being able to legally do your things with powerful people backing you up is more clever than Lex being caught and still getting away because of PIS. Lex is overrated anyway.
    Last edited by Bat007007; 06-01-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Not everyone defines the best rogue's gallery as the most iconic one.
    Then what is the term best used for?