Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default George R.R. Martin Weighs in on "Ant-Man," Wasp, MCU Villains & More

Martin recounted his history with the character and praised the movie as one of his favorite MCU films, despite a weak villain and the lack of Wasp.

Full article here.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Spider-Man also fought Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Sandman, The Lizard, and Electro. I don't know if Martin knows what he's talking about.
    Last edited by thecrimson; 07-23-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

The MCU films have a villain problem. Most are completely under-developed and simply dark reflections of the heroes, in terms of powers and/or personality.

Really only Loki can stand above the other villains as someone who has a fully realized character.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    The MCU films have a villain problem. Most are completely under-developed and simply dark reflections of the heroes, in terms of powers and/or personality.

Really only Loki can stand above the other villains as someone who has a fully realized character.
    I think the MCU villains are so underdeveloped because unlike the opposite criticism that has been made about a lot of previous superhero movies, that the villains are so much more interesting and compelling than the heroes, the MCU has gone to great lengths to focus on the heroes' characterization and development. Of course, this has come at the expense of the villains' characterization and development, which isn't so good, either, but I suppose from Marvel's vantage point, it prevents the villains from being more admired by the audience than the heroes the audience is supposed to cheer for.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I'll come out and say it. Why hasn't Mr. Martin been approached to WRITE a Marvel film screenplay or prose novels?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'll come out and say it. Why hasn't Mr. Martin been approached to WRITE a Marvel film screenplay or prose novels?
    We need him to finish those Game of Thrones books boy!!!
    I'm convinced that most people, who hate on a comic, never read said comic.

Superior Spider-fan Agent Scarlet's Avatar

It's taken him 10 years to put out 2 books. Martin's opinion related to anything literary became irrelevant years ago.

Astonishing Member

Because George R. R. Martin and deadlines work together like vampires and holy symbols.

He's basically right. I really love the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I'm not all that dazzled by any of the villains/antagonists they have. The closest I came to actually think the bad guy was cool was IM3's Mandarin, but then the twist happened and I felt it was time to tune out of whatever scheme Guy Pearce's character had.

I actually don't really care about the comic Mandarin, but the build up of the movie Mandarin was pretty awesome. I actually felt he posed a serious threat.

Then again, I was never an Avengers comic fan. The X-Men always had and will always have the best bad guys. Too bad Marvel Studios doesn't own the rights to Magneto. Or even the best villain in comics - Dr. Doom!
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Scarlet View Post
    It's taken him 10 years to put out 2 books. Martin's opinion related to anything literary became irrelevant years ago.
    What does his inability to meet deadlines have to do with his opinion on a movie?

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    Spider-Man also fought Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Sandman, The Lizard, and Electro. I don't know if Martin knows what he's talking about.
    The Lizard arguably has the same physical powers as Spider-Man though, so it's still a one-on-one match-up. When cinematic Spider-Man first fought Green Goblin, at least then the modern superhero movie was still young. But he's not exactly complaining about Doctor Octopus, Sandman, or Electro either -- he specifically pointed out Venom. He also enjoys several of the movies that he's talking about right now (because, y'know, watching a movie doesn't have to be black and white judgment here). And, he only mentioned ONE Spider-Man movie, come on now; he didn't indict all Spidey movies in one article.

With that said, Venom vs. Spider-Man was pretty boring. The first two Raimi movies were superior because of their villains. And Sandman had way more personality than Venom.

But let's explore other movies, too: Loki isn't a powerhouse like the Avengers, he's a schemer, and he was good enough to keep bringing back. Magneto completely overpowers the X-Men with no one on the team to match him, and he keeps coming back (how many times has he trounced Wolverine? With and without adamantium?). Joker is as unorthodox as Batman is strict, completely frustrating him. They're all much different from the heroes they face.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Scarlet View Post
    I don't think you understand how literary criticism works there. Creating something and evaluating something are two very different things.

BANNED

Captain America two had a good deal with it's Villain, Since it's villain had great motivations, didn't wear a costume, and thought he was doing the right thing. He was the worst type of villain.
    Also the secondary villain was also a "hero" who lost his way. That's one of the reasons I put TWS above most of the MCU films.

BANNED

Why would he even care to? He has his own stuff going on, where he gets to do where he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz
    irai;1377199
    Captain America two had a good deal with it's Villain, Since it's villain had great motivations, didn't wear a costume, and thought he was doing the right thing. He was the worst type of villain.
    Also the secondary villain was also a "hero" who lost his way. That's one of the reasons I put TWS above most of the MCU films.
    Excellent point! I agree that Martin has a point about Marvel's Cinematic villains. He would know, he has written some of the most dastardly characters in the history of epic fantasy. Then he turns them into POV characters you can sympathize with. Similar to How Loki was used.

The villains from winter soldier and Loki are the only exceptions. However Darren Cross was a significant improvement over previous Marvel villains. But he could have been so much more. A few more scenes here and there to explain the obsession and psychopathic behavior would have done it. They left too much hanging for the audience to assume in my opinion.
    Www.remotexpression.wordpress.com. Expressing Entertainment Culture. Reactions. Expressions. Speculations.

Drag them for the Janet fridging, GRRM!