Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Kurt Busiek would be my ideal pick, but like Jimenez, I think he's soured on the state of the DCU and the character at the moment.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    As much as I would LOVE that, I highly doubt that would happen. Phil has said numerous times that he does not care for the overhaul that Azzarello has given to Wonder Woman's world so I can't see Phil wanting to play in this arena unless DC gave him the green light to make major changes to it. At the same time, if there's anyone who could reinvigorate Wonder Woman's world from it's current dark state, it's Phil.
    Which to me is an automatic disqualification. I don't want anyone who doesn't honor what Azzarello built here. You don't follow up a critically acclaimed run with someone who then wants to tear it down for an idealized version of a past incarnation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Which to me is an automatic disqualification. I don't want anyone who doesn't honor what Azzarello built here. You don't follow up a critically acclaimed run with someone who then wants to tear it down for an idealized version of a past incarnation.
    I agree, continuously rebooting the character and throwing out everything when a new writer comes on is exactly why Wonder Woman isn't on the level of Superman and Batman. She's never been able to establish a stable mythology. The next writer who comes has to build upon what Azz created in his run. Either Soule or Bunn would be good choices.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batknight View Post
    I agree, continuously rebooting the character and throwing out everything when a new writer comes on is exactly why Wonder Woman isn't on the level of Superman and Batman. She's never been able to establish a stable mythology. The next writer who comes has to build upon what Azz created in his run. Either Soule or Bunn would be good choices.
    Yes, and yes!

Batknight couldn't be more right. Having new writers come in and throw away everything the previous writers did is EXACTLY the thing that has kept Diana from the level of popularity Superman and Batman enjoy.

When a new writer takes over on Superman and/or Batman, what happens? Oh, he might focus on different villains. He might make more use of certain supporting characters. He might change the type of story being told......but he will NEVER throw away everything that came before and he will NEVER seek to "fix" Superman and/or Batman by completely re-inventing him from the ground up.

Superman and Batman are popular because EVERYONE KNOWS WHO THEY ARE. Everyone knows who Superman and Batman are and what they do. This is because they have gone largely unchanged for decades at a time. Each subsequent story has only BUILT on the work of previous writers.

Wonder Woman NEEDS that as well. Constantly uprooting her entire story has only kept her stunted and underdeveloped as a character, and has led to the misconception that she's a deeply contradictory character with an acute case of Multiple Personality Disorder.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Batknight View Post
    To be honest with you, this far in, for the most part I don't disagree. The Amazon sex pirate business is the only thing I think is so seriously wrong as to warrant a retcon. I wouldn't even mind her staying the Goddess of War; maybe she is or becomes Athena, who from some interpretations was born from Zeus's brain. She's always been more like Athena than Artemis anyways.

This run will always be like ashes in the mouth for me; but at least part of that is Azzarello's slothful storytelling. In the end, we've no choice but to be grateful for what's little left of Wonder Woman that they condescend to give us.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    So if a wish Rucka, he will really write WW?
    I would like to see Bendis writing her...why not lol
    If we're going for Marvel-eclusive writers, I'd like for Matt Fraction to have a go, but the Fraction that did Casanova and The Order, not the Fraction that does events.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    This run will always be like ashes in the mouth for me; but at least part of that is Azzarello's slothful storytelling. In the end, we've no choice but to be grateful for what's little left of Wonder Woman that they condescend to give us.
    This I do not get. Wonder Woman is one of the better paced superhero books out there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    If we're going for Marvel-eclusive writers, I'd like for Matt Fraction to have a go, but the Fraction that did Casanova and The Order, not the Fraction that does events.
    IIRC, Fraction is doing Ody-C under the impression that he will never get to write Wonder Woman.

BANNED

This I do not get. Wonder Woman is one of the better paced superhero books out there.
    Very slow moving and decompressed. That is the general complaint this run gets, and even before the boards got rebooted, some of the more ardent fans of Azz's run mentioned this also.

Not sure where you are getting the "one of the better paced superhero books", unless of course it is in your opinion just that.

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    As much as I would LOVE that, I highly doubt that would happen. Phil has said numerous times that he does not care for the overhaul that Azzarello has given to Wonder Woman's world so I can't see Phil wanting to play in this arena unless DC gave him the green light to make major changes to it.
    Given his work about the history of Wonder Woman, I would imagine that he's rather attached to the non-rebooted version yeah.

His WW run was pretty cool, too.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Very slow moving and decompressed. That is the general complaint this run gets, and even before the boards got rebooted, some of the more ardent fans of Azz's run mentioned this also.

Not sure where you are getting the "one of the better paced superhero books", unless of course it is in your opinion just that.
    I don't see it that way at all.
    Lots of stuff happens every issue, the plot keeps going at a steady pace as far as I can tell.
    It's just that it is a very, very long story, by superhero standards anyway. It's basically all one arc.

It's most certainly not decompressed. Decompression is a very specific way of telling a story. Ellis and Bendis use it a lot. Azzarello does not.

I call it very well paced because it's very tightly written with not a page wasted on splashes or even on pointles fight scenes that don't do anything to advance the story.

BANNED

Lots of stuff happens every issue, the plot keeps going at a steady pace as far as I can tell.
    It's just that it is a very, very long story, by superhero standards anyway. It's basically all one arc.

It's most certainly not decompressed. Decompression is a very specific way of telling a story. Ellis and Bendis use it a lot. Azzarello does not.

I call it very well paced because it's very tightly written with not a page wasted on splashes or even on pointles fight scenes that don't do anything to advance the story.
    Thank you. People use the word decompressed without learning what it actually means.

BANNED

I am not alone in saying this series is decompressed. Obviously you love the pace and style. Others will say the opposite. We will have to agree to disagree.

Or, if you are totally convinced that you are in the majority on this, why not start a poll asking whether the pacing is fast, or whether readers think the run is decompressed. It would at least offer an argument to your point that the run is at a 'steady pace' as you put it if the poll is overwhelmingly on your side.

No one seems to have told Azzarello that part of the job involved thinking up words for the characters to say that explain what's going on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    No one seems to have told Azzarello that part of the job involved thinking up words for the characters to say that explain what's going on.
    Some people like the writer not to treat the reader as someone who needs every little detail explained to them and as someone who understands art can convey story too.