Page 68 of 118 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1758

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    It's nice to think people are trolling when this happens....but sadly, I fear it may be real.

Going further, here's another pic of the family.
    Attachment 63386
    Clearly a black family. Sorry for the bad quality
    LOL that is a pic of Synch and the twins. I honestly don't care if you want to label M as black or not. My opinion she is just mixed. Her mother is Algerian royalty which could be any blend of skin color. For the most part she has always been a Caramel tone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Her mother was dead and her father was an Algerian diplomat. They had money since she was living in Monaco and was raise a rich spoiled brat. There is a very distinct difference between light skinned arab Algerians who rule the country and dark skinned subsaharan workers who live in Algeria.

There's no real distinction between arab and black when it comes to how artists/colorist depict someone in comics. If we're going by how it looks on paper then the new Ms. Marvel and Dust must be black. Even thought going by the text on the page they are not. In this case you can NOT tell by looking at a character what their ethnicity is you HAVE to go by what is written on the page as well.

To me it makes Monet a lot more important to have an arab woman depicted the way she is because there are SO little heroes of an arab background.
    Which makes me want to ask, if a black and white gets married, or a black and another race gets married, is it automatic that their children are classified as black?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Her mother was dead and her father was an Algerian diplomat. They had money since she was living in Monaco and was raise a rich spoiled brat. There is a very distinct difference between light skinned arab Algerians who rule the country and dark skinned subsaharan workers who live in Algeria.

There's no real distinction between arab and black when it comes to how artists/colorist depict someone in comics. If we're going by how it looks on paper then the new Ms. Marvel and Dust must be black. Even thought going by the text on the page they are not. In this case you can NOT tell by looking at a character what their ethnicity is you HAVE to go by what is written on the page as well.

To me it makes Monet a lot more important to have an arab woman depicted the way she is because there are SO little heroes of an arab background.
    Dad is a diplomat from Monaco. Mom was Algerian royalty.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I didn't know but thank you for the answers.

Besides, since Monet's father is black then whether Monet is shown having a lil lighter skin color or not, she's black.
    Also depends on which history.

They merged her origin with Penance, giving her Algerian/Bosnian/Monegasque lineage. She's brown and she's perfect.

BANNED

Im asking nicely. Was it clearly stated that Monet's father is black. Just asking cos the artist may have mistakenly drew the father or the colorist made a mistake or the father just have a darker skin but not black.

Just like in the Philippines, there are filipinos who have white skin, others have fair complexion, others have different shades of brown. There are also dark skinned filipinos. But of course, if the colorist will use brown to color a character, people would think the character is black, unless clearly stated that the character is a Filipino

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I didn't know but thank you for the answers.

Besides, since Monet's father is black then whether Monet is shown having a lil lighter skin color or not, she's black.
    Her having a lighter complexion isn't an issue. It's when they outright white-wash her that people find annoying or angering. She could be black or mixed-black. Whichever people wanna use.

But in some instances, she's neither. Such as here.
    1698644-m_2.jpg
    She's Caucasian here, and quite different from how she started out.

Which makes me want to ask, if a black and white gets married, or a black and another race gets married, is it automatic that their children are classified as black?
    It depends what genetics they got more of.

Tia & Tamera Mowry are mixed. Black Mother, White father. Tia identifies as black and that's accepted generally. But looking at them, they appear to have gotten more of the genetics from the black side of their family.

On the flip side, plenty of mix black white people look more white, and that's what they'll be classified as. A girl I am acquainted with has this issue. She's mixed, but looks like a Caucasian woman. She's very interested in her black African heritage, and tries identifying as black. But due to how she looks, she says many don't usually take her seriously when she identifies as black. They see her as Caucasian.

Ronda Rousey has a black grandfather, or great grandfather. I forget which.
    ronda-rousey-maxim-cover-5.jpg
    Everyone who knows her, for the most part, considers her Caucasian.

That's the One-drop rule. Damn near everyone has other races in their lineage, and it can get confusing labeling yourself with every last thing in your lineage.

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    LOL that is a pic of Synch and the twins. I honestly don't care if you want to label M as black or not. My opinion she is just mixed. Her mother is Algerian royalty which could be any blend of skin color. For the most part she has always been a Caramel tone.
    And the twins are Monet's family aren't they? I was talking about them. Should've worded it better. That's my fault. But I was saying we see them with Synch, another black character, and they all seem to go together is my point. Looking at them, they look like a black family. It's not a case of Synch being there & the twins are drastically different. They don't look non-black. Can be black, or mixed black if people see them that way.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 03-16-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Im asking nicely. Was it clearly stated that Monet's father is black. Just asking cos the artist may have mistakenly drew the father or the colorist made a mistake or the father just have a darker skin but not black.

Just like in the Philippines, there are filipinos who have white skin, others have fair complexion, others have different shades of brown. There are also dark skinned filipinos. But of course, if the colorist will use brown to color a character, people would think the character is black, unless clearly stated that the character is a Filipino
    I don't think it was ever clearly stated that he was "black". She is Bosnian by birth Algerian through her mom and Monégasque through her dad. If that fits your category of being "black" well then there you have it.

Jasmine Tookes is what I think of when I think of M

M.jpg

Jasmine Tookes is what I think of when I think of M

M.jpg
    I dont know who she is, but I think i'm in ovve
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

BANNED

What a sad state of events. Monet really deserves better than this mess. I pray she gets the respect and recognition she so rightfully earned.

I hate that this topic comes up every couple of months. People need to stop whitewashing her and trying to add color. She has never been clearly defined yet. She is of mixed races just leave it at that.

BANNED

I hate that this topic comes up every couple of months. People need to stop whitewashing her and trying to add color. She has never been clearly defined yet. She is of mixed races just leave it at that.
    I'd be happy with that. She's "perfect" because she's a mix of other mutants powersets if she were simply mixed she'd simply be the best of everything.

Ultimate Member

I always viewed M as being somewhere in the middle color wise, not white but not terribly dark either, a mix...which is fine, it just ends up with some of those that do the coloring in the comics don't keep her skin color consistent and that causes trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Why you so...

First Storm, now Monet. Stop white washing fictional black women. The father is black. The twins always looked black. Marius in his human form always looked black. And there mother was a lighter skinned POC that could be many things but white she was not. She has always been black. Case closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Given the features she had, she was certainly intended as black.

Her complexion always varied.

She was could be very light brown or caramel, like sometimes depicted in Phalanx Covenant.
    Attachment 63382
    Or she would be dark chocolate, like later GenX chapters showed.

And looking at her father, he's definitely black.
    Attachment 63381
    He was colored white in 2 cameo appearances. But when we actually meet his character, and see him interact with his family, there was no mistaking it. Same way her brother is also obviously black when you see him in human form.

So lets not start an agenda that Monet never was black. Because she obviously was. They just took the blackness off of her 2006 - 2014, possibly to make her look like a standard Algerian. Same way & reason she was randomly made Muslim out of nowhere, and her justifying it on the grounds that most Algerians are Muslims. There's a small percentage of black Africans in Algeria, so Monet's original blackness was not incorrect & didn't need to be changed.
    Can't be better said...

Saying she's mixed race is also defining her race when canon supposedly hasn't yet (not that I agree with that).