Page 53 of 118 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I have to agree with those that feel Monet's superiority is centered on herself. I don't think Heroism impresses her. She's spoken with derision and disdain in regards to The Fantastic Four and The Avengers. Smaller scale heroes are met with dismissive exasperation a.k.a Spiderman. Her thoughts on Doctor Doom show power isn't a ticket to her good graces or regard. She viewed Scott Summers as an insect, she's always treated Emma like she's nouveau riche and the other A-List X-Characters are always tolerated when necessary but she seems to disregard their existence whenever possible.

Human or Mutant, I honestly don't think it matters to her. I don't think she'd go along with one side wiping out the other. And in the past she has found enjoyment/amusement interacting with humans (her "history" with Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt) and her times with Princes William and Harry. Like everything else about Monet, it's wonderfully complicated.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Monet is interesting because she makes a case for mutant privilege and the concept in how it relates to today's society on racial lines, class lines, and genetically speaking but she's also a metaphor for being the "Model Minority". She's imbued with this pretty stunning array of powers, and one might say she represents what some would consider a "luxury" mutant, which i'm sure is pretty problematic if you happen to be a kind of mutant with debilitating mutations that aren't as paleteable as those that can "pass"...

What she say about Doom?

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    Monet is interesting because she makes a case for mutant privilege and the concept in how it relates to today's society on racial lines, class lines, and genetically speaking but she's also a metaphor for being the "Model Minority". She's imbued with this pretty stunning array of powers, and one might say she represents what some would consider a "luxury" mutant, which i'm sure is pretty problematic if you happen to be a kind of mutant with debilitating mutations that aren't as paleteable as those that can "pass"...
    Not really, model minority is about a minority that conforms to the dominant society and in general does not complain. As no mutant with a violent power or who uses their powers for violence would be considered a model minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    Not really, model minority is about a minority that conforms to the dominant society and in general does not complain. As no mutant with a violent power or who uses their powers for violence would be considered a model minority.
    Facts. I see what you mean. But what do you think of the idea of mutant privilege? There are definitely humans who probably generalize mutant genetic divergence as a superior trait, and probably associate that with a kind of genetic privilege, right? How much do you feel it plays into MU human bigotry/ prejudice?

Facts. I see what you mean. But what do you think of the idea of mutant privilege? There are definitely humans who probably generalize mutant genetic divergence as a superior trait, and probably associate that with a kind of genetic privilege, right? How much do you feel it plays into MU human bigotry/ prejudice?
    Mutant Privilege? Maybe amongst the acolytes of magneto at their most fanatic?

Possibly if Monet was born Neo (Mutant versions of the inhumans )

But not among the normal cultures of 616 Earth, powerful mutants just get Sentinels sic'ed on them instead of lynch mobs. Monet "won" the super power lottery but so did Jean, Storm, Husk, Emma, the list goes on.

BANNED

Mutant genetic privilege is pretty much the foundation of all anti-mutant sentiment. Humans hate and fear mutants because of their power, because it drives home the point that they are the Neanderthals to the mutants' Cro-Magnon.

Ultimate Member

Well that would only be true if you truly thought that mutants were the next stage of humanity or just an aberration that will fail in the end, or if it's a split in humanity that would create two separate people's...

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoFuriousGeorge View Post
    Mutant genetic privilege is pretty much the foundation of all anti-mutant sentiment. Humans hate and fear mutants because of their power, because it drives home the point that they are the Neanderthals to the mutants' Cro-Magnon.
    And on the other side, when it comes to "mutant allies", I can see an admiration of mutant genetic privilege playing into benevolent mutantphobia, where mutants are placed on pedestals and maybe even fetishized to uncomfortable degrees.

I'd like to see this possible aspect of problematic mutant-human relationships explored through the perspective of Princess Perfect. Who better and more fitting a character?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I'd like to see this possible aspect of problematic mutant-human relationships explored through the perspective of Princess Perfect. Who better and more fitting a character?
    I don't think Monet would even deign to acknowledge being fetishized by humans. Seems a little beneath her, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoFuriousGeorge View Post
    I don't think Monet would even deign to acknowledge being fetishized by humans. Seems a little beneath her, honestly.
    She doesn't have to be a willing participant, or she could be shown down right refusing propositions. It's just something that I feel would be a believable part of her particular mutant experience.

BANNED

She doesn't have to be a willing participant, or she could be shown down right refusing propositions. It's just something that I feel would be a believable part of her particular mutant experience.
    I dunno. She doesn't seem to pay any real attention to humans one way or the other. I don't think she'd be a good choice to play this particular melodrama out. And personally, I don't care to see it either way. The sociopolitical aspects of the X-Men can be interesting (at least when they're written well), and I feel that the X-Men experience those aspects more than other franchises, but I'd rather see my superheroes actually superheroing. The X-Men need to let the allegory chill out for a bit, lol.

I can completely see what you're talking about here. And you're right to think that the spectrum of mutantphobia deserves to be explored, especially with the "newer" X-people. I feel like there's been a slow changing of the guard in the books (as their should be in the X-books) and the newer X-men should have newer issues with prejudice to deal with.

BANNED

Guys, I really feel like we missed a great opportunity to have a snazzy title for this thread...

"Reflections on Perfection: The Monet St. Croix Appreciation Thread"

What do you think?

I guess Monet's 11-year streak of starring in a title has come to an end. :/
    Last edited by MYCMTSC; 12-02-2016 at 01:26 PM.