Page 7 of 118 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Let's not turn M's Appreciation page into yet another race war gripe fest in this iteration of CBR, ya'll. it was tired before. it's tired now.

Literally everything about her is a mash-up. she's Scott Lobdell's magnum opus trolling of Storm in that she has so many different "exotic" ethnic features, multiple citizenships, speaks multiple languages etc that "what she is" is so vague it's almost a moot point to discuss.- she's supposed to be "art" as a mutant, she's a MONET- literally a bunch of random colors and elements that make a beautiful picture far away, but up close, she's a mess. get it? her classic X-juxtaposition (updated) being that even though she's all these things, she still acts like a boorish American.

Monet is quite literally a masterpiece of a character. I am so excited to see her grow in the series. I hope she makes iconic staus one day because i wanna know how it feels to be one of those X-fans that's all "ha! i knew you back when...."

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    Let's not turn M's Appreciation page into yet another race war gripe fest in this iteration of CBR, ya'll. it was tired before. it's tired now.

Literally everything about her is a mash-up. she's Scott Lobdell's magnum opus trolling of Storm in that she has so many different "exotic" ethnic features, multiple citizenships, speaks multiple languages etc that "what she is" is so vague it's almost a moot point to discuss.- she's supposed to be "art" as a mutant, she's a MONET- literally a bunch of random colors and elements that make a beautiful picture far away, but up close, she's a mess. get it? her classic X-juxtaposition (updated) being that even though she's all these things, she still acts like a boorish American.

Monet is quite literally a masterpiece of a character. I am so excited to see her grow in the series. I hope she makes iconic staus one day because i wanna know how it feels to be one of those X-fans that's all "ha! i knew you back when...."
    I love Lobdell/Gen X Monet and I love Claremont Storm. I would love to see a modern story with both used to their highest potential because I actually think they would be a wicked duo. Wood's run has been underwhelming.

And Monet doesn't have to be hulking in physique to be strong. That's kinda the point of her powers. You don't expect that. Just looking at her she appears to be some exotic supermodel waif, but she's actually a genius and super strong/tough and telepathic and with super-senses and rich!

lol, I love her! I want more genius Monet too. PAD all but dropped that in his run and now all we get is vapid bitch. She's actually a bitch because she DOES know better/already figured it out/you hold no value for her.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I love Lobdell/Gen X Monet and I love Claremont Storm. I would love to see a modern story with both used to their highest potential because I actually think they would be a wicked duo. Wood's run has been underwhelming.

And Monet doesn't have to be hulking in physique to be strong. That's kinda the point of her powers. You don't expect that. Just looking at her she appears to be some exotic supermodel waif, but she's actually a genius and super strong/tough and telepathic and with super-senses and rich!

lol, I love her! I want more genius Monet too. PAD all but dropped that in his run and now all we get is vapid bitch. She's actually a bitch because she DOES know better/already figured it out/you hold no value for her.
    truth! oh yogaflame i could give you a hug.

i know, what with monet's weirdly new hulking body type, and skin tone she looks more Paula Patton than Jourdan Dunn and she acts like a jock, but it weeeeeirdly fits. like i'm somehow not annoyed by the liberties that their taking. I like that her athleticism is being reintroduced (Lobdell explained in GenX that she was a sports superstar before leaving Monaco) because it was cute as hell when she revealed that she was with the X-men because their her "team". that was good pathos.
    basically numonet=

but darker skinned.

I feel like the discussion of her race is not 'tired' at all. SHE is an ETHNIC character, discussing her ethnicity is about her character. How many times do people argue over Jean's deaths, or Cyclops killing Xavier, or Wolverine being overexposed. We feel strongly about characters, telling other people what to discuss and not discuss is just plain wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by S.k.i.d. View Post
    I feel like the discussion of her race is not 'tired' at all. SHE is an ETHNIC character, discussing her ethnicity is about her character. How many times do people argue over Jean's deaths, or Cyclops killing Xavier, or Wolverine being overexposed. We feel strongly about characters, telling other people what to discuss and not discuss is just plain wrong.
    i'm not telling you what to discuss, dude. I just remember how sloppy her old page got because people were ONLY concerned about her race- not what she was doing, not her as a character, not her motivations, but people only wanted to gripe about how dark or light she was and how all that cheapened the fan love.

Earth's Mightiest Hero RafDanvers's Avatar

Cant wait for next week, when X-Men's out!!
    My heroines: Captain Marvel Psylocke

my pull list: The Mighty Captain Marvel - Ultimates 2 - Uncanny X-Men *I run @captmarvelnews and @psylockenews on Twitter! Join us!

I miss her rich girl aloofness. i thought she had that down pat better than Emma!

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    I miss her rich girl aloofness. i thought she had that down pat better than Emma!
    Never forget!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Never forget!

I looooooved this scene. this is the very scene I used to justify M being a telepathic powerhouse.

Any scene with Emma and Monet was pure gold! I miss those days - GenX was a perfect storm. (This limo scene is even more amazing with Chris Bachalo kinetic style. His work just moved so fluidly back then.)

Quote Originally Posted by Beezzi View Post
    Any scene with Emma and Monet was pure gold! I miss those days - GenX was a perfect storm. (This limo scene is even more amazing with Chris Bachalo kinetic style. His work just moved so fluidly back then.)
    He still has inspired sequences from time to time, but yes, his older stuff was awesome!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSiryn View Post
    *Sigh* Why does M discussion always devolve into debate about her skin color?

Because, first impressions (appearances) are difficult to change... Anything after the fact (inker wise) is nothing less than a piss-poor white wash! I've never seen Joanna "Frenzy" Cargill colored differently.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 07-08-2014 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Pic(s) added

BANNED

Me too. I think M has always been the most popular new character member of generation X

truth! oh yogaflame i could give you a hug.

i know, what with monet's weirdly new hulking body type, and skin tone she looks more Paula Patton than Jourdan Dunn and she acts like a jock, but it weeeeeirdly fits. like i'm somehow not annoyed by the liberties that their taking. I like that her athleticism is being reintroduced (Lobdell explained in GenX that she was a sports superstar before leaving Monaco) because it was cute as hell when she revealed that she was with the X-men because their her "team". that was good pathos.
    basically numonet=

but darker skinned.
    Just WOW!

BANNED

So this would mean Hollow/Penance is black too right?

Quote Originally Posted by S.k.i.d. View Post
    I looooooved this scene. this is the very scene I used to justify M being a telepathic powerhouse.
    i loved their relationship! so dysfunctional. Emma was an unfocused nutjob and M was such a brat! it was a total Helen Keller/ Anne Sullivan dynamic.