Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

most definitely yay!

Mighty Member

Another yay here!

BANNED

back in highschool I got the first trade paper back DC put out that contains the first four issues. I still have it and it has a forward by John Ostrander.

I have taken pics of the forward and here it is:

Part 1

part 2
    Last edited by Professor Moriarty; 06-01-2014 at 08:26 PM.

BANNED

Might as well make this the ostrander/mandrake spectre appreciation thread. Oh so good , ostrander tied the primal spectre force origins to bibical times , to events from the bible.

Highest possible recommendation. One of the best comic series I have ever read. The entire run from first to last is awesome.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."-
    Benjamin Franklin

I read and LOVED the first year. I looked at it as a complete story and moved on for reason another poster has mentioned. However I may try the second trade that's coming out someday. I really don't see you hating the 12 or so issues I read.

John Ostrander is probably my favorite comic book writer ever. Why, because he got characters I never cared about, got in their heads and made me really love them. He did it for Firestorm, did it for most of his Suicide Squad (some of those I already liked beforehand), and did it for Spectre. Unlike SS, I don't have the full series, but the first vol is on it's way in the mail and vol. 2 is already in my Amazon cart. What I have read of it is simply brilliant. So a resounding YAY from me!
    I like his martian manhunter even more than I did his Spectre, possibly because I already loved the character before Ostrander got his hands on him. A shame we don't see much more of Ostrander's work nowadays, due to health issues. He could teach a whole lot to many of the "super-stars" hac... I mean writers of nowadays.

Peace

This is the best Spectre run...period. It was great, and only gets better after the first volume. If he gets an ongoing anytime down the line it needs to be like this one.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    A shame we don't see much more of Ostrander's work nowadays, due to health issues. He could teach a whole lot to many of the "super-stars" hac... I mean writers of nowadays.
    It's not so much his health (which has actually approved the past two years from what I've heard), but that's sort of fallen out of fashion with editors at the Big Two. He doesn't know many people there anymore, which is sadly all too common in this industry. He is still working on Dark Horse's Star Wars books, and while he's said he hasn't been approached by Marvel/Disney, they'd be very foolish not to give him some serious consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    It's not so much his health (which has actually approved the past two years from what I've heard), but that's sort of fallen out of fashion with editors at the Big Two. He doesn't know many people there anymore, which is sadly all too common in this industry. He is still working on Dark Horse's Star Wars books, and while he's said he hasn't been approached by Marvel/Disney, they'd be very foolish not to give him some serious consideration.
    Really nice to know. I hope someone wises up really soon, because Ostrander is too good to waste. His H4H was some of the best I've read over at Marvel, Loved his JLA Incarnation mini-series, his Suicide Squad is legendary... And I could go on and on and on...

Peace

BANNED

I've only read a bit, but based on what I've read: yay.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Really nice to know. I hope someone wises up really soon, because Ostrander is too good to waste. His H4H was some of the best I've read over at Marvel, Loved his JLA Incarnation mini-series, his Suicide Squad is legendary... And I could go on and on and on...

Peace
    I'm right there with you. Ostrander is one of my favorites.

He has a regular column over at ComicsMix that's worth checking out, if you don't already.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I'm right there with you. Ostrander is one of my favorites.

He has a regular column over at ComicsMix that's worth checking out, if you don't already.
    I don't, but I will now. Thanks.

Peace

Simply put, one of my favorite comic runs ever. IT was one of the main reasons I went to the comic shop each month during its entire run.

-M

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Peace
    Don't forget Hawkworld!

I know, I know... everyone does...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES