Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Marvel Zombies, #2

Simon Spurrier demonstrates strong characterization and growth while Kev Walker makes it all disgustingly beautiful in "Marvel Zombies" #2, a "Secret Wars" tie-in.

Full review here.

I'm really enjoying this series. Spurrier is adding depth to Elsa without stripping away the snarky exterior we've come to love. This is probably my favorite tie-in right now, a really pleasant surprise.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Great issue, just like the first. I detest zombies but read the book for Elsa and her situation and snark haven't failed me yet. Looking forward to the rest of this awesome series.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Surprised by how much I am enjoying it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Great issue, just like the first. I detest zombies but read the book for Elsa and her situation and snark haven't failed me yet. Looking forward to the rest of this awesome series.
    Ha, Agreed. I don't care for zombies (though I do love TWD) and I wasn't all that familiar with Elsa, but I'm thoroughly enjoying this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Surprised by how much I am enjoying it.
    Even though I'm biased towards Zombies I'm also surprised at how great this book is! Also, I'm really enjoying Kev's art here. I wasn't all for his New Avengers issues, but here he really shines, the book looks great!

Such a ghoulish concept of the world has Daddy Bloodstone, who has lived through and experienced all of the Marvel Universe and more. Only, I'm not sure the flashbacks Elsa remembers of her father are of the 616 or Battleworld? I'm thinking this is 616 memories, and it reflects on Daddy Bloodstones estimation of the MU was that it is nothing but monsters and you have to keep on your constant guard, (Elsa being the legacy of the Bloodstone), because that is her only quest in life. As much as Elsa recites the lessons her father taught her to survive, she constantly breaks those rules, now with this child in tow. So cracks appear in her survival techniques, and I'm not sure if we are to believe if Elsa doesn't adhere to the rules she will fail, or, that her dad was full of s*** and just an abusive control freak?

Quote Originally Posted by Ciriaco View Post
    Even though I'm biased towards Zombies I'm also surprised at how great this book is! Also, I'm really enjoying Kev's art here. I wasn't all for his New Avengers issues, but here he really shines, the book looks great!
    Yes, there is a rustic, dusty, quality to Walkers art in MZ that suits it well.

We are surrounded by many Domains in the Deadlands, so there is the hint of salvation out of this nightmare, not far away, and, Deadlands isn't quite the death sentence it is made up to be in other series' in the 616. People know that sometime a rescue is possible by some sane agency from beyond the Shield. What Spurrier and Walker do is show a Deadlands, though acrid and dangerous, has some form of system, and society about it, (now that there is a Queen Mystique of the dead in charge, a dangerous woman in herself), but a Deadpool they can eat constantly as a food source. Raven the Shapechanger indeed. Elsa was duped very cunningly by the Queen as Angel Worthington, and one wonders how Red Skull fits in with all this from his book?

All-New Member

I like the character of Elsa Bloodstone, but the fact that her dad was a hardass is being kind of overstated. Also, on a zombie front, I'm disappointed. I wanted the actual Marvel Zombies from the series to play a role of some kind. The ones who ended up with cosmic powers. I thought they would be the ones who were in charge of the hierarchy of zombies.

Never really liked the original Marvel Zombies series or the sequels, but I am loving Battleworld Marvel Zombies and Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies.
    Cannot wait to see what is next. Would love to see a landmark among the ruins of the cities so we can see where the characters are. Most likely New York but you never know.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Another great issue, Spurrier really likes digging around in Elsa's head doesn't he? Think he's got her voice nailed down too. He doesn't have a book confirmed for after SW yet does he? Really hope we see him continue to use Elsa in some capacity.

Kev's art was great again. Seems he really likes drawing zombies. His Modoc was awesome and those opening pages were so funny.

Also, it's my favourite Merc with a Mouth! Could we be getting a team up next issue? Elsa and Wade are two of my favourite characters so that would be most appreciated.

From Deadpools appearance here, the only significance I can see of the "Deadpool Secret Secret Wars" series is that Deadpool has these dreams of himself in the first SW, every time the Zombies eat him, and he has to grow back. That would make some sort of logical sense.

Odds are at the end of Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars when the heroes are getting their wishes granted and heading home Wade says something typical of him like "I wish I had never come to this stupid planet." Thus erasing his involvement and returning the first Secret Wars to the story we remember.

Can this book just be permanent?