Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Weirdworld, #2

In Jason Aaron and Mike Del Mundo's "Weirdworld" #2, Arkon finds an ally in Apelantis.

Full review here.

This book is a true treat. I though Del Mundo's art on the latest Elektra series was great, but this here? Magnificent. He was born to draw this fantastical world, and I really need this book (or something similar) to be constant thing, as long as Aaron and Del Mundo are doing it.

Spectacular Member

Love the return of Crystar and his world!

This book is simply amazing! Probably my favorite work by Aaron yet and Del Mundo's art is stunning. I really hope they both want to and get to work on this for a long while!

Same as I did recently on spin-offs of Secret Wars. As Hail Hydra Where Monsters Dwell or the choice of the title Weirdworld doubly surprised me because on one hand it refers to a license that has nothing to do with Arkon, the other is to give many bad for not much. In their place I may have been in the direction of a Savage Sword of Arkon Arkon The Barbarian or for even more emphasize the parallel with Conan. But it is a question of order "cosmetic" because there's another series that has nothing major, and yet, installs a coherent world and full of surprises. I confess that I do not necessarily know what a neophyte retain, but for me, the route of a barbarian who has lost sight of his kingdom and desperately seeks contains enough archetypes for This "talks" immediately.

Drawing level, Mike Del Mundo gives the series something that takes a bit of atmosphere of the new generation picture not so far from a Black Science or Low (though the designers have concerned other styles). Now I must say that here, too, to go all out in an atmosphere Heroic Fantasy, my first choice would have been quite another Mike Deodato, with its shadows more pronounced, the most massive characters. Del Mundo is doing well, though, and I also believe that the companion in misfortune of Arkon has never been well defined since its inception in the 80s Quite Incredibly, in this second episode , there is Crystar the menu. What rejoicing probably some fans of this forgotten series ... but also what make them scream as Jason Aaron plays the Scottish shower. Yet regardless of the state of some extras, it can give them a mystic. Arkon terrified of forgetting his world, the search for his partner and the purpose of it ... Everything works so that I would not say no if I announced an upcoming Ongoing with the same protagonists ...
    "my feminism will be intersectional, or will it be bullshit." Kelly Sue Deconnick
    "All this magic stuff needs new terminology because it's not what people are being told it is at all." Grant Morrison

i can't believe they tied this into Crystar. was not expecting that at all.