Spectacular Member

Default Interview with Gene Yang about Superman 42 and the Truth arc

Newsarama interviewed Gene Yang about the upcoming issue and Truth in General. He reveals the Villians are called HORDR and talks about Lois "Betrayal" and their friendship

http://www.newsarama.com/25339-super...get-worse.html

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrap View Post
    Newsarama interviewed Gene Yang about the upcoming issue and Truth in General. He reveals the Villians are called HORDR and talks about Lois "Betrayal" and their friendship

http://www.newsarama.com/25339-super...get-worse.html
    Thanks for posting this. I remember you mentioned it in another thread and this makes it easier for me to read what he has to say!

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

"HORDR". Heh. That's a bit cheesy, I must say. Not necessarily in a bad way, mind ya. But it's, well, the kind of name you would expect in a comic book.
    Also, when I read the "evil Mark Zukenberg" bit, I had a passing thought for the Eisenberg as Luthor.
    Thought the part where he talks about each writer handling a different aspect of the character interesting, because it led me to think of what angle each writer was working on.
    So,Yang made it obvious he is exploring the "Man of Tomorrow" part, and Pak is clearly on the "Man of the People", at least in Action. Don't really know what angle Tomasi is doing, though, maybe it matter less in that regard because he's on a team up book or whatever.
    I also thought Yang had interesting thoughts on the whole "hiding behind glasses" thing. Overall, it's starting to feel like he's going for a somewhat more intellectual approach, compared to Pak who seems to have a more "gut feeling" aspect.
    Finally....12 issues. Interesting. That would mean he's going to stay until at least June (with the implication that his big arc is going to last at least as long). So does that mean that things aren't going to be done by the time the BvS movies comes out?
    Overall, well....it clearly works better when Romita Jr isn't here to play the "drunk embarassing friend at a party" role (no offense, mister Romita Jr).
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Spectacular Member

New Comicosity Interview, this time with JRJR:
    http://www.comicosity.com/interview-...bout-superman/

Ironically, I thought the character was kind of bland, but a lot of us are working to change that. I don’t think of that as something negative — he’s the ultimate boy scout. But the new power has changed him in many ways. He’s actually a little more short-tempered. He’s tasted beer for the first time in eternity. All of these little alterations that bring him down to earth are the changes that I enjoy.
    Oh JRJR how i missed your interviews

BANNED

Nrama: Among all the other Superman writers, what you're writing is a prequel to Lois' decision, so she's a big part of the story. Can you talk about Lois' role in your comic and what it's been like to develop her relationship with Superman in the New 52 universe?

Yang: I get it now, you know? I've always liked the Lois and Clark dynamic, through multiple incarnations. I was a huge fan of the Bruce Timm animated series, and of course the live action Lois & Clark series. I watched that when I was college. So I've always liked their dynamics through their different incarnations.

But after I signed on to do Superman, I went back and read these early issues of Action Comics and Superman, all the way back to the 1930s and '40s, and I realized that the things that people love about Lois have been there from the very beginning.

It's not like she was a response to the social changes that happened between her creation and now. She was just ahead of her time. She was very much a point to the future, I think, even in the 1930s and '40s.

However, the current incarnation of Lois and Clark are not romantically involved right now. Each of them has somebody else as their significant other. But there is still this tension between them, and it's this tension that has multiple layers. They're competitors at work. They're also colleagues at work. There is an underlying attraction between them, but at the same time,

They see friendship as just as valuable as a romantic relationship. And maybe that's a reflection of where we are as a society as well. I think for a long time, romantic relationships have been seen as a pinnacle of human relationship, and more and more, I see evidence of people saying friendship can actually be just as important.
    I would like to know who is this significan other for Lois that I never see. So there is attraction but they won't act because friendship is more important? sounds like BS

JRJR never watched MOS that clark drinks beer. also nice way to say that they are doing superman for people that doesn't like superman

"Nrama: Anything else you want to tell fans about the book and about Superman's plight in his self-titled comic?

Yang: Well, his life is about to get a lot worse.

And we will reveal why Lois did what she did. It's an intense thing that she did. Anytime you do something as intense as that, you have multiple motivations. And we'll be exploring some of those as well."

i hope none of these multiple motivation has to do with selling more paper and personal gains

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I would like to know who is this significan other for Lois that I never see. So there is attraction but they won't act because friendship is more important? sounds like BS
    Lois boyfriend is still Jonathan Carroll, they even live together sind Superman #19. He pops up every 10-15 issues for a panel or two, just like Cat Grant's boyfriend, they just exist until the're written out sich hasn't Hallen yet. Atleast John Carroll is a nice bis and not the typical replacement jerk