Super Moderator

Default "Paper Girls," "Invincible Iron Man" & More in CBR's Buzzworthy Books of October

"All-New, All-Different Marvel" kicks off with new #1s, DC goes "Eternal" once more, "Back to the Future" visits comics and more in October.

Full article here.

Of the titles mentioned here, The Goon, Karnak and Doc Strange are the only ones I have real interest in.

Why do comic companies make reboots so complicated? Why can't they just end the previous universe with an unambiguous conclusion for each character and then start fresh at the drawing board with the new universe? Isn't the point of a reboot to do away with a convoluted continuity that makes things difficult for creators and readers alike?

I fail to see how fans could be happy with what they've done to pre-New 52 Lois & Clark. If I understand correctly: Their own universe has been effectively destroyed (with everything and everyone they loved) and they're trapped in another universe fighting for survival?! Why would I, or anyone, be happy about that? Why couldn't these characters have a nice ending (or the rest of the previous DC universe for that matter)?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Owen View Post
    Why do comic companies make reboots so complicated? Why can't they just end the previous universe with an unambiguous conclusion for each character and then start fresh at the drawing board with the new universe? Isn't the point of a reboot to do away with a convoluted continuity that makes things difficult for creators and readers alike?

I fail to see how fans could be happy with what they've done to pre-New 52 Lois & Clark. If I understand correctly: Their own universe has been effectively destroyed (with everything and everyone they loved) and they're trapped in another universe fighting for survival?! Why would I, or anyone, be happy about that? Why couldn't these characters have a nice ending (or the rest of the previous DC universe for that matter)?
    They tried that with the old Earth 2 Superman and Lois and they couldn't leave them alone. Twenty years later they were dragged out of the happy ending they were given and killed off and turned into zombies. Apparently nobody gets a happy ending.

Really intrigued about Karnak - he looks vastly different on this promo cover. Paper Girls is going up there too in my checklist.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    They tried that with the old Earth 2 Superman and Lois and they couldn't leave them alone. Twenty years later they were dragged out of the happy ending they were given and killed off and turned into zombies. Apparently nobody gets a happy ending.
    Man, that's horrible!

And now Marvel is jumping on the weird multiverse mashup bandwagon! I'm telling you, I don't like anything that's going on at these two companies right now.
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

This October might be one of my most expensive months for comics. Of the listed buzzworthy books, I'll definitely be getting Batman and Robin Eternal #1-4, Black Magick #1, Invincible Iron Man #1, Paper Girls #1, Extraordinary X-Men #1, and Back to the Future #1. I'm looking forward to Paper Girls and Back to the Future the most of the listed selection.

I might also get Superman: Lois & Clark #1 and Karnak #1. I'd like to see some preview pages first for those two.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa