Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why are they determined to keep her tied to ww2?

I'm sure this will come off as a rant, and possibly inflammatory to some, but it simply must be said. Why do creators feel like she has to be tied to WW2, and usually to the chagrin of her mythos?

Young Justice did it, Bruce Timm in the JLU cartoon did it, and now it seems that the DCEU might be doing it, too. Why?!!!!!!

Yes, she first appeared during this era, but was Man of Steel, or any other major Superman adaptation in the last 30 years set in the Great Depression? What is Batman suddenly pulled out of couple of glocks and starting popping caps in the "punks" of Gotham's underworld? And of course, we can't forget Billy Batson's rather "colorful" achievement in the Golden Age of painting himself to resemble a blackface golliwog. Why didn't Geoff Johns bring THAT back?

It is so lazy, because the second that she's in WW2, all she will fight is Nazis. Especially if this is the case in the DCEU, as nothing she would have done would have been noteworthy, seeing as how MOS was the catalyst for public superheroes in this universe.

I will admit, for the most part, I generally despise Pre-Crisis Wonder Woman, and say that the only mistake Perez made was oldening up Steve Trevor. Why are mostly Pre-Crisis elements being used for WW's film debut? Her best stuff is from the Post-Crisis era, everyone knows this. It's bad enough that we seem to have to sit through the idiocy that is Diana Prince (white costume.........beat me now......ugh). Besides feeling the need to kill of Pa Kent, MOS was blatantly Post-Crisis, and seems to be continuing that with businessman Luthor. We can already tell that Batman is drawing from mostly Post-Crisis and Miller written stories. So why is the 3rd member of the Trinity's big live action movie debut using elements from a period of her history generally seen as inferior and outdated?!!!!!!

1. Diana Prince
    2. Possible Invisible Jet? ("practically fly")
    3. Potential WW2 connection

Why??

Also, you fans do realize that if her origin is in WW2, Steve Trevor will be dead in the current time, leaving her open for BM/WW stupidity? Why must her mythos and supporting cast be shafted?!!!!!

They could have easily adapted Gods and Mortals, updating it from the Cold War to either Middle Eastern, North Korean, or even Chinese Yellow terror, with a bit of fear add from the growing metahuman population. This crap is not hard!!!!!

I'm sorry if this is a rant, but I simply can not be excited at Pre-Crisis elements. Bad enough we'll have to deal with Morrison's creepy lesbian feminist bondage Golden Age throwback (not trying to be mean, but that's what he basically said it is) being more than likely hailed as the new standard.

When did Young Justice tie her to WWII? I don't rememberer WWII being mentioned in that show at all.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I feel a lot of those elements shouldn't have been removed in the first place. I think removing major elements like the ones you mentioned created the situation we are in now where every new creative team wants to throw out what came before and start over. This title has very few reliable through lines when you compare it to its pears, and ithat has definitely hurt it over the years.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 07-25-2015 at 08:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

I think it's because her original origin was tied to WWII in ways that Superman's and Batman's and other Golden Age characters weren't, and because the most popular versions of her--Marston's and Lynda Carter's--were largely tied to WWII even beyond their origins. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just answering the question in your title: I think these are the reasons why.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I feel a lot of those elements shouldn't have been removed in the first place. I think removing major elements like the ones you mentioned created the situation we are in now where every new creative team wants to throw out what came before and start over. This title has very few reliable through lines when you compare it to its pears, and ithat has definitely hurt it over the years.
    I wouldn't count WWII as a major element to Diana's mythos. A lot of stuff was needlessly removed, but WWII wasn't one of them. I mean what purpose does it serve?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Like what? Besides losing Steve, which happened many times per crisis, Perez got rid of a lot of dumb stuff like her being so weak, Disney Hercules levels of inaccuracies to the greek myths, and lame cliches like diana Prince.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Because Wonder Woman fighting Nazi villains is awesome!!!

I'm happy that they're using some of these elements in the movie as it makes for a more rounded character rather than just another generic all myth character slashing away with their weapon. Many of these elements were introduced Post-Crisis, just not right away. By the time Flashpoint came along, we had the Invisible Jet, the Diana Prince secret identity, and a Wonder Woman who fought during WWII(Hippolyta). Even in the New 52 Wonder Woman has occasionally appeared as Diana Prince(Justice League) and used the Invisible Jet aka Sky Chariot(Superman/Wonder Woman).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

I'm happy that they're using some of these elements in the movie as it makes for a more rounded character rather than just another generic all myth character slashing away with their weapon. Many of these elements were introduced Post-Crisis, just not right away. By the time Flashpoint came along, we had the Invisible Jet, the Diana Prince secret identity, and a Wonder Woman who fought during WWII(Hippolyta). Even in the New 52 Wonder Woman has occasionally appeared as Diana Prince(Justice League) and used the Invisible Jet aka Sky Chariot(Superman/Wonder Woman).
    How is a mythic character or a secret I.D less generic than fighting Nazis?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Narrative View Post
    I'm sure this will come off as a rant, and possibly inflammatory to some, but it simply must be said. Why do creators feel like she has to be tied to WW2, and usually to the chagrin of her mythos?

Young Justice did it, Bruce Timm in the JLU cartoon did it, and now it seems that the DCEU might be doing it, too. Why?!!!!!!

Yes, she first appeared during this era, but was Man of Steel, or any other major Superman adaptation in the last 30 years set in the Great Depression? What is Batman suddenly pulled out of couple of glocks and starting popping caps in the "punks" of Gotham's underworld? And of course, we can't forget Billy Batson's rather "colorful" achievement in the Golden Age of painting himself to resemble a blackface golliwog. Why didn't Geoff Johns bring THAT back?

It is so lazy, because the second that she's in WW2, all she will fight is Nazis. Especially if this is the case in the DCEU, as nothing she would have done would have been noteworthy, seeing as how MOS was the catalyst for public superheroes in this universe.

I will admit, for the most part, I generally despise Pre-Crisis Wonder Woman, and say that the only mistake Perez made was oldening up Steve Trevor. Why are mostly Pre-Crisis elements being used for WW's film debut? Her best stuff is from the Post-Crisis era, everyone knows this. It's bad enough that we seem to have to sit through the idiocy that is Diana Prince (white costume.........beat me now......ugh). Besides feeling the need to kill of Pa Kent, MOS was blatantly Post-Crisis, and seems to be continuing that with businessman Luthor. We can already tell that Batman is drawing from mostly Post-Crisis and Miller written stories. So why is the 3rd member of the Trinity's big live action movie debut using elements from a period of her history generally seen as inferior and outdated?!!!!!!

1. Diana Prince
    2. Possible Invisible Jet? ("practically fly")
    3. Potential WW2 connection

Why??

Also, you fans do realize that if her origin is in WW2, Steve Trevor will be dead in the current time, leaving her open for BM/WW stupidity? Why must her mythos and supporting cast be shafted?!!!!!

They could have easily adapted Gods and Mortals, updating it from the Cold War to either Middle Eastern, North Korean, or even Chinese Yellow terror, with a bit of fear add from the growing metahuman population. This crap is not hard!!!!!

I'm sorry if this is a rant, but I simply can not be excited at Pre-Crisis elements. Bad enough we'll have to deal with Morrison's creepy lesbian feminist bondage Golden Age throwback (not trying to be mean, but that's what he basically said it is) being more than likely hailed as the new standard.
    Personally I like that it gives her a sense of history. A hero that appears when the whole world needs her. As an immortal she can realistically come into any time period without a lot of problem. I also want them to acknowledge her role as one of the longest existing heroes in the world and her presence during WWII helps accomplish that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Personally I like that it gives her a sense of history. A hero that appears when the whole world needs her. As an immortal she can realistically come into any time period without a lot of problem. I also want them to acknowledge her role as one of the longest existing heroes in the world and her presence during WWII helps accomplish that.
    I can think of a dozen moments in history where Diana would have been needed. Plus WWII is often glorified in many media and tying Diana to that event makes her look archaic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    So where the crap was she when the kryptonians came? You see how this is stupid?!

And generic all myth character? Yeah, when the only other superhero in the mainstream with myth was turned into a cheap Star Wars ripoff, and his friend already occupied the ww2, im sure that myth will make her redundant and ww2 will make her original..........wait.....

Spectacular Member

There were also rumors about the Crimean War or 1920s Greece and one leaked script seemed to be set in the 60/70s. Also the was the other rumor that she is gonna be "old" in BVS and pictures of her adventures would be shown.

So i don't think the're set on WWII, it's probably gonna be a old-timey adventure, maybe several time periods

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

Hmmm.....post infinite Crisis and new 52 diana Prince was introduced by geoff johns, a silver age fan who along with mark Waid tried to return superman from post crisis to pre crisis. You're telling me the same guy that had Luthor lose his money to become me a criminal mad scientist again in post crisis reintroduced Diana Prince, not once, but twice? How surprising!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrap View Post
    There were also rumors about the Crimean War or 1920s Greece and one leaked script seemed to be set in the 60/70s. Also the was the other rumor that she is gonna be "old" in BVS and pictures of her adventures would be shown.

So i don't think the're set on WWII, it's probably gonna be a old-timey adventure, maybe several time periods
    Still terrible. Just cobble her actual freaking post crisis stories together like they did for superman in mos. Why is that so hard?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Narrative View Post
    So where the crap was she when the kryptonians came? You see how this is stupid?!

And generic all myth character? Yeah, when the only other superhero in the mainstream with myth was turned into a cheap Star Wars ripoff, and his friend already occupied the ww2, im sure that myth will make her redundant and ww2 will make her original..........wait.....
    I think this is the whole point of BvS ... We are seeing previews showing where BM was I suspect we'll see where and why Diana is suddenly in Metropolis post Kryptonian invasion. I personally think it's a weak argument to attack her for not being there since there are a million easy explanations. Maybe she was on Olympus, maybe PI is in an alternative dimension as it was for parts of her various continuities. MOS was a Superman origin tale so no one else needed to be there. Now they are adding to the mythos.