Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I think this is the whole point of BvS ... We are seeing previews showing where BM was I suspect we'll see where and why Diana is suddenly in Metropolis post Kryptonian invasion. I personally think it's a weak argument to attack her for not being there since there are a million easy explanations. Maybe she was on Olympus, maybe PI is in an alternative dimension as it was for parts of her various continuities. MOS was a Superman origin tale so no one else needed to be there. Now they are adding to the mythos.
    Then it makes more sense for her to appear now, not reappear now

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I can think of a dozen moments in history where Diana would have been needed. Plus WWII is often glorified in many media and tying Diana to that event makes her look archaic.
    Archaic? That she was a hero in the single most destructive conflict in human history? And who is to say she wasn't involved in Korea, Vietnam, the various Gulf Wars or any number of other conflicts? WWII is easy to "glorify" because of the scale of it and the horrendous villainy that took place. The Nazi's and Imperial Japanese are easy to make villains because they were doing such a variety of crazy things. Human experimentation, mass murder, racial cleansing ... Certainly they aren't unique in history, but they were the most widely seen doing it. WW deserves a massive scale not to be hidden an obscure conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Archaic? That she was a hero in the single most destructive conflict in human history? And who is to say she wasn't involved in Korea, Vietnam, the various Gulf Wars or any number of other conflicts? WWII is easy to "glorify" because of the scale of it and the horrendous villainy that took place. The Nazi's and Imperial Japanese are easy to make villains because they were doing such a variety of crazy things. Human experimentation, mass murder, racial cleansing ... Certainly they aren't unique in history, but they were the most widely seen doing it. WW deserves a massive scale not to be hidden an obscure conflict.
    I meant archaic in how it makes her look like a propaganda tool for the U.S. Combine this with the xenophobic portrayals of Germans and Japanese people in the Golden Age comics.

If she were involved in the Suffrage movement were she could interact with other women I'd prefer it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Narrative View Post
    Still terrible. Just cobble her actual freaking post crisis stories together like they did for superman in mos. Why is that so hard?!!
    Making her solo movie a period piece takes Superman, Batman and Aquaman out of the equation. We have seen it Marvel where Captain America 1 is a period piece and his story and the Capsequels have several other heroes and don't forget all the complains people had about Iron Man 3, the president gets kidnapped but where are the Avengers?

A period piece makes it a total Wonder Woman show.

Also to your BM/WW point in the OP, it seems like they will go for it. The picture from EW with Bruce and Diana dancing and trailer with both of them at the valet parking and Affleck saying Diana and Bruce know each others secrets. Gal also said she auditioned with Ben and was cast because of their chemistry.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Narrative View Post
    Like what? Besides losing Steve, which happened many times per crisis, Perez got rid of a lot of dumb stuff like her being so weak, Disney Hercules levels of inaccuracies to the greek myths, and lame cliches like diana Prince.
    Etta Candy would be another character that was essentially sidelined(or reduced to a more minor role). I'm not saying Perez's run wasn't probably the best WW run since Marston, but none the less i do think it started some trends that have been detrimental to the character. Batman and Superman's supporting cast are iconic due to repetition, and reuse. Like them or hate them Wonder Woman had characters that were capable of being somewhat iconic, but Perez's run essentially took them out of the picture as main characters, and we've pretty much had a very inconsistent supporting cast ever since. Hippolyta has probably been the most consistently shown supporting cast member, but her nature and the fact that she rarely leaves the island kind of hinders her as a regular cast member. The Wonder Girl's both Cassie and Donna have always made relatively sparse appearance in the book, especially in comparison with their counterparts in the Batman and Superman books, and lets not even get into wonder Woman's villains. Character's like Artemis and a few others have potential, but for what ever reason aren't used more.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 07-25-2015 at 12:23 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

How is a mythic character or a secret I.D less generic than fighting Nazis?

It's the sum of the whole that made Pre-Crisis WW more unique. She fought gods, monsters, Nazis, super-villains, aliens plus she interacted with the gods, Amazons, Steve, Etta, and Donna. She used futuristic technology(Mental Radio, Invisible Jet, etc.), a magic lasso, and rode a Kanga from time to time. I liked that there was more variety in the mix.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Etta Candy would be another character that was essentially sidelined(or reduced to a more minor role). I'm not saying Perez's run wasn't probably the best WW run since Marston, but none the less i do think it started some trends that have been detrimental to the character. Batman and Superman's supporting cast are iconic due to repetition, and reuse. Like them or hate them Wonder Woman had characters that were capable of being somewhat iconic, but Perez's run essentially took them out of the picture as main characters, and we've pretty much had a very inconsistent supporting cast ever since. Hippolyta has probably been the most consistently shown supporting cast member, but her nature and the fact that she rarely leaves the island kind of hinders her as a regular cast member. The Wonder Girl's both Cassie and Donna have always made relatively sparse appearance in the book, especially in comparison with their counterparts in the Batman and Superman books, and lets not even get into wonder Woman's villains. Character's like Artemis and a few others have potential, but for what ever reason aren't used more.
    hippolytas diana's mother, so it is already limiting and having only her a constant is not enough.
    it is a tradition get rid of the previous supporting team when a new creative team takes over. New 52 steve and etta never showed up on the wonder woman comic

The movies are going with the 70s TV show idea of Wonder Woman being an immortal, as was the character that Lynda Carter played. While I don't have a problem with that, I think it's regrettable that the DC movies are starting the WW story out, in the 1930s, instead of in the present. Perhaps, if her past experiences can be portrayed in flashbacks, as Connor MacLeod's are in the Highlander films, I would feel more optimistic about how it might turn out.

When you think about it, a good cinematic adaptation of the New 52 Wonder Woman comic - a globe-trotting warrior and adventurer, with otherworldly origins and a mysterious past - would read very much like the Highlander films and TV series. It's plain to anybody, who's seen any of those films, ..that the First Born, WW's best, new super-villain, is simply the Kurgan, reloaded for the Wonder-mythos.

Fingers crossed...
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-25-2015 at 03:22 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The movies are going with the 70s TV show idea of Wonder Woman being an immortal, as was the character that Lynda Carter played. While I don't have a problem with that, I think it's regrettable that the DC movies are starting the WW story out, in the 1930s, instead of in the present. Perhaps, if her past experiences can be portrayed in flashbacks, as Connor MacLeod's are in the Highlander films, I would feel more optimistic about how it might turn out.

When you think about it, a good cinematic adaptation of the New 52 Wonder Woman - a globe-trotting warrior and adventurer, with otherworldly origins and a mysterious past - would read very much like the Highlander films and TV series.

Fingers crossed...
    Diana isn't Connor MacLeod. She doesn't need to rip off other characters.

I'm okay with tying her to past events but WWII is overdone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrap View Post
    A period piece makes it a total Wonder Woman show.
    I agree that one big strength of a period piece is that it can allow for a WW movie to be her own movie.

Too late: "daughter of Zeus" is a BIG rip off.

I'm okay with tying her to past events but WWII is overdone.
    WWII may feel overdone to you, but I think it makes sense. Not only was it her original origin, it was a HUGE global event. I'm not saying it's needed for a WW to work, but I can see appeal to it.

Did I say she was ..or anything about ripping anybody off? I said the First Born is the Kurgan of the Wonderverse, ..and he is. What's your problem?
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Did I say she was ..or anything about ripping anybody off? I said the First Born is the Kurgan of the Wonderverse, ..and he is. What's your problem?
    I think you added that edit after my comment. I can still see the original in my post.

I think you added that edit after my comment. I can still see the original in my post.
    "...When you think about it, a good cinematic adaptation of the New 52 Wonder Woman - a globe-trotting warrior and adventurer, with otherworldly origins and a mysterious past - would read very much like the Highlander films and TV series..." That's what I wrote. I don't care what your original post says.

Being "a globe-trotting warrior and adventurer, with otherworldly origins and a mysterious past" is something 52 Wonder Woman and Connor MacLeod have in common. It doesn't make her a rip off of Highlander, anymore than she is a rip off of Xena: Warrior Princess, ..something else I'm tired of reading. A WW movie being "very much like the Highlander films" isn't a call to rip off anything.

Why do you hate me? I know what I wrote!

"...When you think about it, a good cinematic adaptation of the New 52 Wonder Woman - a globe-trotting warrior and adventurer, with otherworldly origins and a mysterious past - would read very much like the Highlander films and TV series..." That's what I wrote. I don't care what your original post says.

Being "a globe-trotting warrior and adventurer, with otherworldly origins and a mysterious past" is something 52 Wonder Woman and Connor MacLeod have in common. It doesn't make her a rip off of Highlander, anymore than she is a rip off of Xena: Warrior Princess, ..something else I'm tired of reading. A WW movie being "very much like the Highlander films" isn't a call to rip off anything.

Why do you hate me? I know what I wrote!
    Okay, okay. I'm sorry. I misunderstood. It won't happen again.

Okay, okay. I'm sorry. I misunderstood. It won't happen again.
    You make my head feel so ORANGE, Agent Z! Stop persecuting me!

Not to get too far off topic, ..but, I think you have a point. Anyone, who wants to read the first five issues of the Chiangzarello WW run, will see that the ripping off of Highlander, Modesty Blaise and Doc Savage, should you choose to call it that, is already done. It's just there, all over that agonizingly long 'First Born' story arc.

Just the same, I am hoping to see the 52 Wonder Woman, in all her pulp-inspired glory, brought to life in the upcoming films, ..and I think Gal Gadot can pull it off. Now, who plays Zola Grenola? This film must have a Zola!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-25-2015 at 04:34 PM.