Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post
    Is Geoff Johns the hero DC needs?
    His heart seems to be in the right place when it comes to these things. He's certainly been an advocate for Bronze Age creators within DC. His stories are another matter altogether.

DC seems to be doing a bunch recently to reconnect and repair relationships with various creators. I'm optimistic about all this. It's good that DC are doing it and I predict much better things and a happier company as time goes by.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Incredible Member

Wonder if this could also lead to a reprinting of TonY's SHADOW WARS OF HAWKMAN themed work as well??

But for now I will just be happy with the coming Black Lightning reprints!!

I loved his original BL title. I need to pull it and re-read to see how it holds up. I'll definitely pick up the TPB to have it collected, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Wonder if this could also lead to a reprinting of TonY's SHADOW WARS OF HAWKMAN themed work as well??

But for now I will just be happy with the coming Black Lightning reprints!!
    I just finished re-reading the Shadow Wars mini--literally finished yesterday--and did not even notice he'd written it. I loved the Hawkworld series that followed but it's a shame the shadow war storyline ended so prematurely.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Beat me to it. I hope they reprint his entire Hawkman run someday. It's one of my favorites.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Glad to hear this is happening.

And I love the name Black Lightning. I think we're at a point in pop culture where its not the least bit cringe-worthy.

Retired

What's wrong with Black Lightning as a name? Isn't that his power?

Black Lightnin' was the name of Johnny Thunder's horse, by the way--that was two decades before the super-hero. Right now I've begun to read POLDARK and Ross Poldark's horse is named Darkie--even though it's a play on his last name, that's a truly cringe-worthy name, I think.

Good to see that Tony may finally be getting his due. I wonder if his original deal was made when Carmine Infantino was publisher and when Carmine left (under mysterious circumstances), the new publisher felt no obligation to honour any deals he made. It's strange though, because Jenette Kahn went on to establish an improved policy on creator rights at DC.

Of course, DC could just keep doing what it was doing, replacing Black Lightning with electrical storm African-American doppelgangers. But if they have big plans for Black Lightning (movies?) then they might want a friendly relationship with the creator for the purpose of promotion.

Black Lightning actually having black lightning is a fairly recent addition. Traditionally, he's just been a guy with electrical powers who had his ethnicity in his name. I don't mind it too much though, not only because of the context, but also because Black Lightning sounds freakin' cool.

Very happy Geoff and DC are reaching out to Isabella and trying to settle hurt feelings.

Jefferson Pierce is Black Lightning...there's no other name he needs IMHO.
    The costume is a different story...please change it ASAP!

Hopefully BL will move forward and be a strong individual character again.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

I have a weird "relationship" with Tony Isabella. Black Lightning was what brought me into comics, before I could even read. I loved the 'Shadow War of Hawkman". One of my favorite mini-series to this day. When James Robinson's 'Starman' came out and everyone was nuts about the portrayal of Shade, I pointed out although it was great, it was pretty much what Mr. Isabella did with Gentle Ghost in his Hawkman,

Then a few years ago, I complimented Mr. Isabella on his website message board. He thanked me, and knew who I was. A short time later (like REALLY short) when my then comic strip got cancelled he took to his forum to talk about how mediocre my comic was...like immediately...like as I was still punched in the face by the news. I thought it was kind of a jerk move.

So, that said:

1. When you're in a business for 40 years and have to keep leaving projects after about a year for "creative differences", it's not ALWAYS the editors.

2. Mike W. Barr is the greatest Black Lightning writer of all time.

I am writing this out of spite, but that doesn't make it not true.

Petty? Sure. But I do feel better. I admit, I'm not very 'zen'.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Man I'd love it if we could get 1 last retcon in. Black Lightning IMHO should've been in the first Justice League roster instead of Cyborg.

For me Cyborg is a Titan forever and BL has his place in the League. Heck they've been trying to replace him for years, Black Vulcan and all those other electric Black heroes were just placeholders until BL came back in the fold.

Ultimate Member

That's interesting choice of words cuz Black Vulcan was an almost literal placeholder for BL in the Superfriends cartoon. He was created cuz DC/Hanna Barbera didn't want to pay Isabella.

In an issue of JLA, I believe John Stewart asked Black Lightning about using the "Black" for his name and BL stated at the time there wasn't any other black people doing what he was doing so he wanted to make a statement of sorts.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    Man I'd love it if we could get 1 last retcon in. Black Lightning IMHO should've been in the first Justice League roster instead of Cyborg.

For me Cyborg is a Titan forever and BL has his place in the League. Heck they've been trying to replace him for years, Black Vulcan and all those other electric Black heroes were just placeholders until BL came back in the fold.
    Looking back, I would have preferred BL over Cyborg if John Stewart was not an option for JL founder status.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That's interesting choice of words cuz Black Vulcan was an almost literal placeholder for BL in the Superfriends cartoon. He was created cuz DC/Hanna Barbera didn't want to pay Isabella.
    That was messed up, indeed.