Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default Batman's Utility Belt

Hey everyone. Thought it would be interesting and fun to start a discussion on Batman's famous utility belt. There have been many versions over the years, and he's whipped out a lot of very handy stuff on many occasions.

So what do people think, realistically speaking, are the default essentials he should carry around with him? He only has so many pouches, but should still be able to fit quite a lot. These images help.

I'm thinking that he should carry 1 or 2 max of those exploding batarangs he's got. Also how do people feel about sharp batarangs? Do they make more sense? Maybe he carries both sharp and non-sharp ones?

I imagine the grappling hook hangs off the belt almost gun-like towards the back. The extra roped batarang should be storable as well.

Gas pellets, flash bang grenades, gas mask, mini-torch, first aid, lockpick set, flashlight, cuffs, and fingerprint set are all the other essentials IMO. Plus a USB-like hacker device. His boots and gloves definitely add more compartments for such tools as well. I also remember in the cartoon he pulled a lock pick out of his mouth, I wonder if he could fashion those to braces when he goes out. Now that I think about it, does he wear a mouthguard?! Maybe a slim one.

Oh crap, can't forget the bolas!

Bat-Shark Repellent. Never get caught without it.

giphy.jpg

Fantastic Member

I like the idea initially advanced with N52 JL's first arc that all of his gadgets are small enough to fit into identical cylindrical capsule shapes that all fit in the belt's ampules. Which was pretty much dropped shortly with the Bat solo books. I do like when the pouches are big since it makes me think they could hold as much as Bats has been shown to at times. I also like the idea in some Batman "guide books" that show a bunch of different batarang types.

An early picture of the BvS armor looked to me like he had a second utility belt strapped across his chest, which was a cool idea to me since it's likely that in an overpreparedness situation two belts would be symbolic of an overwhelming arsenal or some such.

I have a fondness for his different belt loadouts in the Arkham games. A design aspect I like is how the same rear section/trigger group is used for multiple things such as the batclaw, REC and disruptor.

For a crazier example I like in one Brave and the Bold episode where his suit transforms into a spacesuit when he pushes a button on the belt. A slightly less crazy thing I remember is a pair of big folding bat-sword-thingies in Planetary/Batman.

A last thing I like to see is some kind of knuckle weapon. In Long Halloween (iirc) he uses brass knuckles to knock someone's teeth out and Dick had pretty cool-looking batsymbol-shaped taser knuckles.
    Last edited by Rising7; 07-26-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taylortexas View Post

giphy.jpg
    Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Rising7 View Post
    I like the idea initially advanced with N52 JL's first arc that all of his gadgets are small enough to fit into identical cylindrical capsule shapes that all fit in the belt's ampules. Which was pretty much dropped shortly with the Bat solo books. I do like when the pouches are big since it makes me think they could hold as much as Bats has been shown to at times. I also like the idea in some Batman "guide books" that show a bunch of different batarang types.

An early picture of the BvS armor looked to me like he had a second utility belt strapped across his chest, which was a cool idea to me since it's likely that in an overpreparedness situation two belts would be symbolic of an overwhelming arsenal or some such.

I have a fondness for his different belt loadouts in the Arkham games. A design aspect I like is how the same rear section/trigger group is used for multiple things such as the batclaw, REC and disruptor.

For a crazier example I like in one Brave and the Bold episode where his suit transforms into a spacesuit when he pushes a button on the belt. A slightly less crazy thing I remember is a pair of big folding bat-sword-thingies in Planetary/Batman.

A last thing I like to see is some kind of knuckle weapon. In Long Halloween (iirc) he uses brass knuckles to knock someone's teeth out and Dick had pretty cool-looking batsymbol-shaped taser knuckles.
    Oh yeah, the brass and taser knuckles definitely help. Very realistic and easily stored tools to help maximize a punch. On some suits it looks like the knuckles are already reinforced on the gloves, would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by taylortexas View Post

giphy.jpg
    Now you know he didn't actually have that stored in his utility belt right? He had it, along with other Bat-ocean animal repellant sprays, in the Bat-copter.

I don't know if they're standard utility belt fare, but a few of my favorite gadgets he's pulled out...
    1. In Crisis on Two Earths, when he used smoke bombs/pellets on Superwoman and we find out it's anesthetic gas. Because only knock out gas bombs can trump regular gas bombs.
    2. The Dark Knight Returns, when fighting Two-Face's goons, the gas grenades are clearly meant (only watched the movie) to have fear gas in them.
    3. I can't name the specific Adam West episode, but I know for a fact there's a cookie in one of those pouches.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Now you know he didn't actually have that stored in his utility belt right? He had it, along with other Bat-ocean animal repellant sprays, in the Bat-copter.

I don't know if they're standard utility belt fare, but a few of my favorite gadgets he's pulled out...
    1. In Crisis on Two Earths, when he used smoke bombs/pellets on Superwoman and we find out it's anesthetic gas. Because only knock out gas bombs can trump regular gas bombs.
    2. The Dark Knight Returns, when fighting Two-Face's goons, the gas grenades are clearly meant (only watched the movie) to have fear gas in them.
    3. I can't name the specific Adam West episode, but I know for a fact there's a cookie in one of those pouches.
    Ah, in case there's a child around of course.

Also curious as to how the electric protection of prying hands is triggered.