Page 108 of 208 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 3117
    BANNED

Default Techniques and Tricks: Thor Worldengine

For me, Worldengine is an execution-over-idea piece. I would say that the execution and storytelling were handled masterfully. The creators all communicated with each other on this story, and the end result is really a very beautiful-looking product. Mike Deodato, known in the 90s for being given to excess (in terms of skin, muscle, design, and whatnot), manages to rein it in here just a little bit and channel those energies in the most appropriate moments. As a result, he was able to showcase some of his storytelling, compositional talents. Mostly, I find that these are particular techniques that when done well, they really work for me.

Let's take a look at some of them.
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 11-30-2015 at 06:03 AM.

BANNED

Default Relief

Gutters are awesome things. Imagine, just by introducing a space in the middle of a picture, you can change the way the reader perceives how time flows throughout it. And when you put them around an entire splash, like a frame, like in this page of Thor and the Enchantress in a post-coital cuddle?
    It highlights the moment, and to me, it makes it last just a bit longer than it otherwise would have if the frame didn't exist. "Relief," as in "bas relief" in sculpting, is the best term I can come up with for it.

BANNED

Default Unconventional Directions

We're taught to read left to right and up to down, so I get impressed when someone breaks or comes close to breaking that orientation without confusion. This page of Thor and Amora comes close, with the three inset panels moving in a clockwise direction.
    Placing the panels close to each other is important here, and the visual connections also help. Thor's blond hair moves right into the upper left, with the blond hair, and his bracelet moves right into the bracelet on the lower left panel.

I imagine that composing a page like this isn't easy. If Deodato had done it with even a modicum of sloppiness, people could easily mistakenly join up Enchantress' head and butt there and she'd look like a dwarf with a giant head.

BANNED

Default Unobtrusive Fonts

To be honest, there are a very few instances when I notice lettering. I think lettering is an "invisible" art, meaning it works best when you don't notice it's there and it just blends into the story. That's what happens in Worldengine.

BANNED

Default Angled Panels

Deodato loved doing these. To amp up tension, he'd draw panels at an angle, but he'd also rotate the contents. So it wasn't just a differently shaped panel; it was a panel rotated towards you in some way. It's a good effect that simulates the third dimension.

BANNED

Default Windows and Doors as Panels

don't even really have an explanation for this one. I just like it when windows and doors are used as panels.

BANNED

Default Polyptychs

Ah, polyptychs. The act of inserting gutters into one picture to control both the pace and direction in which the reader's going.

BANNED

And then there's this page, where Deodato uses three polyptychs and twenty panels.

BANNED

So much effort was put into Worldengine and I think it's a highlight of the 90s. Sure, it's full of 90s elements, but it's a case where they were utilized to serve the story. Warren Ellis wrote it in such a way to highlight the skills of his collaborators, and they made the most of it.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Great Addition and good analysis of the World Engine Saga and some of its things

I always thought that's what might have been Thorīs book if Ellis had decided to continue or if at the time, Marvel had chosen or attempted to delve into the character of the Enchantress with a miniseries or something similar, something I always try to think , dream and imagine if some day become reality, the character clearly needs it with great urgency and necessity, itīs hard to understand that a character born in 1964 and currently being in 2015, Marvel continues to do nothing with her or that few writers really think about her for their stories and fall into the usual things without risking and go beyond.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    The Green Outfit is always a classic and iconic regarding the character in the same way that her leggings or stockings with the loop circle depending on what the artist think on that moment when is drawing her.
    I know that it's her iconic look but it's pretty much the only look that I see her in while many characters have gotten several new looks over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I know that it's her iconic look but it's pretty much the only look that I see her in while many characters have gotten several new looks over the years.
    Well, a little above and specifically in the saga of World Engine that Ellis wrote and Deodato Jr. drew and that 616MarvelYearisLeapYear has posted, you can see the only time in which there has been a change from the way Amora dresses and the colors she used.

And well, if something works, why change? she could use green for every costume she uses but there are always variations, some will work other not.

new pic

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Well, a little above and specifically in the saga of World Engine that Ellis wrote and Deodato Jr. drew and that 616MarvelYearisLeapYear has posted, you can see the only time in which there has been a change from the way Amora dresses and the colors she used.

And well, if something works, why change? she could use green for every costume she uses but there are always variations, some will work other not.
    Just saying that many characters that are much bigger characters than she have gotten several different looks over the years so just thought that Amora should get a new look every now and then as well, leaving the old classic look as always being there to fall back on when needed, maybe have her show up and operate outside of the whole Asgard world and such, and not as a villain or close to it.

Fantastic Pic Post