Super Moderator

Default "Veep" Showrunner Talks Marvel Debut, "Secret Wars" & Funny Comics

David Mandel discusses his "Hank Johnson: Agent of Hydra" one-shot which explores the Marvel U's terrorist organization from a different angle.

Full article here.

Mild-mannered journalist

When does this come out? I don't see that info in the article itself.

BANNED

But What about BOB: The Agent of Hydra and friend to Deadpool ? Doesn't Marvel care about him ?

Fantastic Member Talkie Toaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    But What about BOB: The Agent of Hydra and friend to Deadpool ? Doesn't Marvel care about him ?
    You haven't read the interview, have you?
    Bah weep granah weep ninny bong

But didn't "The Venture Bros." do this (exceedingly well) already? Collective amnesia for all things Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Yarbrough View Post
    When does this come out? I don't see that info in the article itself.
    "... arrives in stores August 26..."

I was on the fence about this one, but I think this interview sold me. Glad to see Bob at least getting a shoutout.

That Superman story sounds like it'd be fun, too.
    Robert Eddleman
    Panels on Pages

So, when did Marvel Knights fold?

As to whether Madam Hydra would come to a Hydra hearing on sexual harassment in the workplace, I seriously doubt the judges would leave that room.

Hell, Marvel used to do a comic called Not Brand Ech, so why not comedy involving super heroes. Nick Fury and comedy, like Frank Castle and comedy, I would think would be a stretch, but there is so so much comedy in the Thing and Johnny, Spiderman, Hawkeye, even Carol Danvers, "Shut your fat cow mouth" can be the victim of accidental comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    So, when did Marvel Knights fold?

As to whether Madam Hydra would come to a Hydra hearing on sexual harassment in the workplace, I seriously doubt the judges would leave that room.

Hell, Marvel used to do a comic called Not Brand Ech, so why not comedy involving super heroes. Nick Fury and comedy, like Frank Castle and comedy, I would think would be a stretch, but there is so so much comedy in the Thing and Johnny, Spiderman, Hawkeye, even Carol Danvers, "Shut your fat cow mouth" can be the victim of accidental comedy.
    Because comic fans fear change?

But also, from a 'shared universe' perspective, the comedy gets in in the way of the tone set for the franchise. For example, some of the best comedy works when characters are taken out of their comfort zone: to do so in comics would upset the status quo.

Comedy involving superheroes is not uncommon, like with the examples you gave. What is uncommon, is shared comedy/superhero genre comics.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!