Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Ian Churchill to Draw Wonder Woman #43

Check out this interview from Newsarama: http://www.newsarama.com/25356-wonde...onna-troy.html

Some highlights include:

- Ian Churchill is drawing issue #43

- There is another villain at work in the current "mess" besides Strife.

- More Wonder-rogues are coming after the current story.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Haven't they been pointing to an Amazon and not Strife?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Some highlights include:

- More Wonder-rogues are coming after the current story.
    The time will come when we have more rogues from her gallery come in, but right now, we have more of a gods story that we wanted to tell.
    "The time will come..." doesn't really sound like it's on one of the front burners.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Haven't they been pointing to an Amazon and not Strife?

As the other villain?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Seems like it. Hasn't it showed up in the solicits?

Well, Donna's waist seems... supportive in that first panel.

Seems like it. Hasn't it showed up in the solicits?

If it has, I don't recall.

Astonishing Member

"The time will come..." doesn't really sound like it's on one of the front burners.
    Yeah, David says "right now we have more of a god story that we wanted to tell." And it sounds like Meredisth personally isn't super-enthusiastic about any of the old villains:"And I really left -the choice [meaniing the choice of which old villain to use] up to David, because I didn't care. I didn't have an attachment to any of the villains in her past." And Diavid picked a Aegues because he "didn't have a lot of baggage already" and thus could be treated as "kind of an original villain, even though he existed before." With their interest in telling a story that features the gods and their "really want[ing] to do something different, they sound a bit like Azzarello and Chiang (though I haven't found their execution of their story ideas to be anything like Azzarello and Chiang's).

By the way, the Finches seem more interested in Donna than in Diana, at least at the moment.

Interesting that there's another major villain in the arc. I wonder if this means that the person speaking to Aegeus through the pool isn't Strife, even though he or she mentions "stife." Could it be Poseidon, or is that too obvious, considering that Meredith thinks people will be surprised?
    Last edited by Silvanus; 07-27-2015 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Yeah, David says "right now we have more of a god story that we wanted to tell." And it sounds like Meredisth personally isn't super-enthusiastic about any of the old villains:"And I really left -the choice [meaniing the choice of which old villain to use] up to David, because I didn't care. I didn't have an attachment to any of the villains in her past." And Diavid picked a Aegues because he "didn't have a lot of baggage already" and thus could be treated as "kind of an original villain, even though he existed before." With their interest in telling a story that features the gods and their "really want[ing] to do something different, they sound a bit like Azzarello and Chiang (though I haven't found their execution of their story ideas to be anything like Azzarello and Chiang's).

By the way, the Finches seem more interested in Donna than in Diana, at least at the moment.

Interesting that there's another major villain in the arc. I wonder if this means that the person speaking to Aegeus through the pool isn't Strife, even though he or she mentions "stife." Could it be Poseidon, or is that too obvious, considering that Meredith thinks people will be surprised?

Though Meredith said she wasn't "attached" to any of the old rogues, I think that means because her exposure to Wonder Woman before writing the book came solely from the 70s TV show with Lynda Carter which only featured Baroness Paula Von Gunther and Fausta as far as Wonder-rogues go. Once Meredith started researching WW for her writing gig, she has made several comments about the rogues such as "so many cool villains" along with expressing a lot of interest in the Angle Man and Silver Swan. David also confirmed that Cheetah will appear in their run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith FInch
    Strife would have been the closest to Ares, because they're basically two parts of the same puzzle. So it made sense that she would go after Diana.

I think people will be surprised at the ending. I don't want to give away too much. But I think people will be surprised when they find out who is actually behind the pull.
    What does she mean by "behind the pull," anyway? That this other individual is "pulling" while Strife is "pushing"? Or was that supposed to be "behind [or below] the pool," as in the voice speaking to Aegeus from a pool?

Either way (and maybe ultimately those two possibilities come down to the same thing), who would be most "surprising"? The most surprising shadowy manipulator of all would probably be Zola--and if that would be a little too surprising, maybe this manipulator could be not quite Zola but more of a Zola/Athena hybrid. What if the Finches decided that Athena left more of herself in Zola, or took more of Zola with her, then Azz made apparent? The mysterious voice does sound like an odd mix of god-speak (using words like "insolent" and imperiously asking "To whom do you think you are speaking?") and modern colloquialism ("gonna," "big boy pants.") I thought this was just bad writing, but maybe there was a method to the badness.

And this pool person says the problem is that "Wonder Woman is incapable of fulfilling her duties as God of War." Could it be that Athena/Zola is trying to goad WW into acting more like a war goad to prevent Strife from taking over the role? And that's why she says "I might even go so far as to say that it's the STRIFE...that gives meaning to life; HAHAHAHA..."; I took this as an obvious sign that the speaker was Strife, but now I'm wondering if it could have been Strife's adversary being ironic (as in, beating Strife will give meaning to life).

I'm not exactly hoping for this; I like Zola as a real human who just happens to have been born as a goddess's vessel, and I like the idea that Athena made a real sacrifice at Diana's urging at the end of 35. But the scenario I've described seems like a possibility, whether I like it or not, and at least it could be interesting; I guess I'd just have to hope that Zola would get more fully separated from Athena later.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 07-28-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Incredible Member

Diana has "real heartbreak" in issue 45: WW & Supes break up, maybe?

In regards to the costume, I found this statement odd:
    It's really not, actually, the kind of costume I would traditionally design. I always like little tiny detail, but it's just not something I can do page in and page out.
    I think there's a ton of detail in the costume. I mean, it's not a Perez-kitchen sink-special (think Troia, Kole, Jericho, etc.), but there're the stars, the V-flap, the shoulders, the bust lines, the neck thing, the pointy parts...

Ugh, that's what stuck out to me the most in the article, too. "And I really left it up to David, because I didn't care. I didn't have an attachment to any of the villains in her past." It strikes me as unprofessional to use the phrase "because I didn't care," when its her actual job to care about what she's going to be doing in the book. Maybe I'm just reading too much into that wording, though, because I'm bitter that we still haven't found a writer for the main book who both knows and likes Wondy's rogues.

BANNED

the way meredith write aegeus doesn't surprise me, he is a brat without any depth

i just hope they will be out soon, and they won't screw villains that have potential

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Ugh, that's what stuck out to me the most in the article, too. "And I really left it up to David, because I didn't care. I didn't have an attachment to any of the villains in her past." It strikes me as unprofessional to use the phrase "because I didn't care," when its her actual job to care about what she's going to be doing in the book. Maybe I'm just reading too much into that wording, though, because I'm bitter that we still haven't found a writer for the main book who both knows and likes Wondy's rogues.
    It's not something you want to hear from the writer, specially for wonder woman that needs a better rogue gallery
    I'm bitter too, but I think we are on our right to be pissed about a writer that just can't care about villains "pick one and i will write a dumb story about them"
    Last edited by Tayswift; 07-28-2015 at 09:49 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Diana has "real heartbreak" in issue 45: WW & Supes break up, maybe?
    I'm just making a wild guess, but...If Zola, under Athena's influence, has been involved in supporting Aegeus' challenge to Wonder Woman as god of war, then discovering this apparent betrayal by her friend could be the source of "real heartbreak."

I'm just making a wild guess, but...If Zola, under Athena's influence, has been involved in supporting Aegeus' challenge to Wonder Woman as god of war, then discovering this apparent betrayal by her friend could be the source of "real heartbreak."

What makes you think that Zola could still be under Athena's influence?