BANNED

Default Shang-chi questions ?

Ok I have some questions about Shang-Chi

1) the marvel database under real name it just says Shang-Chi and on comicvine it says Zheng Shang-Chi. So wich is it ?

2) on marvel database under powers it says...

Origin Bomb Reproduction: By successfully communing with the Origin Bomb site in Kobe, Japan, Shang-Chi turned the site to his advantage and replicated himself. Dozens of Shang-Chi copies spawned from the Origin Bomb site in Kobe, each with his mind and skills. It is unclear if a finite number of Shang-Chi duplicates have been produced, or if Shang-Chi can continue producing new copies on command. So is that true and when did this happen ?

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Avengers World #20 is the issue where Shang Chi gets the replication ability. I don't know if Shang Chi is Zheng Shang Chi but I remember Secret Avengers vol. 2 featured him and his father's origin. Beast said he believes Shang Chi's father's real name was Zheng Zu. That was in issue #8 of Brubaker's run.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

Well, Shang-Chi was intended to be the son of Chinese literary villain Fu Manchu, but Marvel later lost the rights to use Manchu, but were allowed to keep Shang because he was an original Marvel character.

In later Marvel stories, characters refer to Manchu as Shang's father, but only via a variety of aliases, and never by his actual name. However, recently in some stories (notably Secret Wars: Master of Kung Fu), Shang is said to be the son of Emperor Zheng Zu.

So Shang-Chi's name could be either Shang-Zhu or Shang-Manchu, but he was always keen to disassociate himself from his father, explaining why he is referred to as only Shang-Chi.
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kid_omega_prime View Post
    Ok I have some questions about Shang-Chi

1) the marvel database under real name it just says Shang-Chi and on comicvine it says Zheng Shang-Chi. So wich is it ?

2) on marvel database under powers it says...

Origin Bomb Reproduction: By successfully communing with the Origin Bomb site in Kobe, Japan, Shang-Chi turned the site to his advantage and replicated himself. Dozens of Shang-Chi copies spawned from the Origin Bomb site in Kobe, each with his mind and skills. It is unclear if a finite number of Shang-Chi duplicates have been produced, or if Shang-Chi can continue producing new copies on command. So is that true and when did this happen ?
    Oh boy. Who are you worried he's had sex with?
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Oh boy. Who are you worried he's had sex with?
    Lol very funny.

Basically the ancient Chinese man who is Shang's father goes by a variety of alias, and has done so for so long that even he may not remember his original name.

Consequently, Shang Chi doesn't know what his real name is, and most certainly doesn't care, since he hates his father. It's not like Shang has some compelling motive to play Indiana Jones just to find the family name of a man he despises.

Because of the imperfect way pinyin works, Zheng Zu is just a variation on Chuang Zu, so it's unlikely that this is Shang's father's real name. http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Philosophy/Taichi/chuang.html
    Last edited by MichaelC; 08-28-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Just to add and clarify what other posters have stated, yes, Shang-Chi gained the ability to replicate himself in back during Avengers World #20. He certainly showcased this ability during the "Time Runs Out" storyline which ran through Avengers and New Avengers. As for whether or not he'll keep this power in the future, I'm going to say no.

As for his name, well, this is a very interesting topic. As some posters have previously stated, Fu Manchu was the name of Shang's father for much of Shang's existence in the Marvel Universe. However, Marvel lost the rights to the Fu Manchu name, so in Secret Avengers, it was revealed that Fu Manchu was just one of many aliases that this character had used throughout history. The original name for this character was Zheng Zu.

I believe that the posters on Comicvine are calling Shang-Chi "Zheng Shang-Chi" because "Zheng" is his family name. (Remember in East Asian cultures, the last name goes first. So, "John Smith" would be "Smith John.") Of course, Marvel has not made this official.

Because of the imperfect way pinyin works, Zheng Zu is just a variation on Chuang Zu, so it's unlikely that this is Shang's father's real name. http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Philosophy/Taichi/chuang.html
    I'm a little unsure if Marvel wanted Zheng Zu to be the actual Chuang Tzu, who in the Daoist tradition is considered to be one of the main contributors to Daoist thought right behind Lao Zi. (Seriously, his writings are great stuff. His butterfly idea was like the plot to Inception, but just over 2,500 years earlier).

Moreover, Chuang Tzu is actually an older, Wade-Giles spelling of this individual's name. If you're talking about pinyin, the name should be Zhuang Zi, not Zheng Zu.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

Still reading comics through Wikipedia and similar sites instead of reading actual comics?