Default Paul Pope & 'Battling Boy' Appreciation Thread

bb.jpg

First Second’s ‘Battling Boy’ erupts with molten storytelling and atomic art from the volcanic Paul Pope. The monstrous city of Arcopolis is under siege by an underworld legion of lawless ghouls. With their hero lost, the people struggle for salvation – which arrives in the unlikely form of a 13 year old demigod, himself, unsure of his potential.

Will this boy’s right of passage into manhood end far from home in a world too corrupted to be saved? Will there be others, heroes within the ruined city who will rise up to join him? Can a city find its soul in time to foster the seed of its redemption?

Or will the rag tag hordes of monsters overcome the last gasp efforts of a heroic few and claim the fallen Battling Boy as their shadowy means to spread their horrors throughout worlds above and below?

Battling Boy Vol 1 is a book so full of fresh ideas, pulsing images and thumping heart that it nearly pours from your hands while you ride its torrents. This is a thread to discuss Battling Boy Vol. 1, Haggard West and anything Paul Pope.

I hope I’m not alone in my appreciation of this incredible book. I’d love to learn more about Paul Pope’s work for the CBR community and more from other BB fans about what their hopes, predictions and forecasts are for Vol. 2.

bb2.jpg

http://paulpope.com/
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

I was a bit disappointed that the initial promotion for this book didn't indicate that it was the first volume of a series. Everything I had read made it sound like a self-contained one-issue story that everyone had been waiting a long time to see come to print. I'm VERY disappointed that there has been ZERO word of any follow up since the release.

That being said, I enjoyed it very much and I just don't want to have to wait years for the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJeff View Post
    I was a bit disappointed that the initial promotion for this book didn't indicate that it was the first volume of a series. Everything I had read made it sound like a self-contained one-issue story that everyone had been waiting a long time to see come to print. I'm VERY disappointed that there has been ZERO word of any follow up since the release.
    That being said, I enjoyed it very much and I just don't want to have to wait years for the rest of it.
    It's difficult when a great story (especially in Indy comics) leaves you without absolute certainty that there will be completion and regular installments to keep things fresh, immediate and meaningful. BB Vol 1 definitely leaves you wanting more...and there's good news...there is more coming soon. A prequel featuring Aurora West will be out in July and all signs point to a bright purposeful future.

http://www.wired.com/2013/10/paul-pope-aurora-west/

But yea, there's never any guarantee with these things. I'm grateful for what's been offered so far and hopeful that there's more to come.

Aurora-Cov-approved300-660x990-small1.jpg
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote