Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arya View Post
    Because those two writers wrote that she was and doesn't make her straight just because she's single right now and not in a relationship. When a character is bi that means they can date more than one gender. They don't stop being bi because they are dating someone that is a different gender.
    Once again you're ignoring the fact that it's Marvel's decision of which sexuality to portray her as, not some writer under their employ.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Once again you're ignoring the fact that it's Marvel's decision of which sexuality to portray her as, not some writer under their employ.
    That never happened so what are you talking about? They did decide that that's why they let those writers tell those stories or tweet or whatever. There is no memo that says which characters are straight.
    Last edited by Arya; 08-06-2015 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arya View Post
    Truth and tea go together.
    It doesn't really help that he low key admitted to being homophobic either.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    There's no "issue" with being straight. It's completely normalized behaviour.

That's why people who perceive a character to be sexually fluid due to subtext are defending their stance. It's erasure that straight people don't have to face since they're already the normal. Hence the inherent false equivalency of asking "Do you have issues with Storm being straight?" as if it's the same as asking "Do you have issues with Strom being bi?".

So to answer your question / concern / whatever: No the fans don't have a problem with her being straight, they have a problem with a potential other case of bi-erasure. Especially right after that whole Hercules debacle.
    You know, I just have to jump in here to say that was incredibly well-phrased.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Hmmm. I think there are degrees. Im not going to talk further on this cos i might be misunderstood/misinterpreted or worst, make a mistake.
    Too late. While there is huge variety of personalities and body types for gay men, it is (nonetheless) a very specific "type". Not a spectrum. There is an LGBT spectrum, but gay is gay. On a Kinsey scale gay is always at the end.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Storm is bi.

10char

Spectacular Member just-my-2cents's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Too late. While there is huge variety of personalities and body types for gay men, it is (nonetheless) a very specific "type". Not a spectrum. There is an LGBT spectrum, but gay is gay. On a Kinsey scale gay is always at the end.
    Ah yes kinsey!! Nice Kieran.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    This is not what I've been saying on this board and you know it. I've discussed this many times on this board. What the book needed was for Storm to have a more appealing look, more dynamic villains, bigger threats, a world created uniquely for her book including friends and foes, etc. I think all of these things are important. Its hard to say what is number 1. If a writer tells good stories, but the character(s) is/are ugly, people will drop the book for artwork alone.

Say what you will, but giving her a look with more broad base appeal can only help.
    Your understanding of beauty & ugliness, and their use as comic book sales tools in 2015 is so flawed but at least you're amusing! Please, tell us more.

BANNED

While you wait for a response, K-Kitsune... Why don't you elaborate on why Rutog98's "2015" understanding of beauty & ugliness is flawed?
    Last edited by ZNOP; 08-06-2015 at 10:47 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    While you wait for a response, K-Kitsune... Why don't you elaborate on why Rutog98's "2015" understanding of beauty & ugliness is flawed?
    Lmao isn't it obvious? According to The Big Book of Rutog's Beauty Basix (first published 1958 but now out of print I think!) apparently long haired, feminine Storm is beautiful and universally appealing, and mohawk Storm is "ugly" and unappealing. Ultra-femme Storm would also apparently translate to instantly amazing sales, where young men from around the globe couldn't resist the long-haired wonder gracing the cover: so long, so shiny, what a mane! "is she taken?", "I wish she was my girlfriend", "she'd never cheat on me" they'd wonder, eating up every issue.

Also apparently appealing to basic dudes is everything even though young women are the fastest growing demographic in comics/ and market research even suggests that around 45% of comic fans are female (probably an exaggerated figure but very important regarding market potential), as well as comic-con attendees under 30 (the most important demographic) are a 50/50 male/female split.

Spoon-feeding is hard my hand hurts!
    Last edited by K-Kitsune; 08-06-2015 at 11:41 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K-Kitsune View Post
    Lmao isn't it obvious? According to The Big Book of Rutog's Beauty Basix (first published 1958 but now out of print I think!) apparently long haired, feminine Storm is beautiful and universally appealing, and mohawk Storm is "ugly" and unappealing. Ultra-femme Storm would also apparently translate to instantly amazing sales, where young men from around the globe couldn't resist the long-haired wonder gracing the cover: so long, so shiny, what a mane! "is she taken?", "I wish she was my girlfriend", "she'd never cheat on me" they'd wonder, eating up every issue.

Also apparently appealing to basic dudes is everything even though young women are the fastest growing demographic in comics/ and market research even suggests that around 45% of comic fans are female (probably an exaggerated figure but very important regarding market potential), as well as comic-con attendees under 30 (the most important demographic) are a 50/50 male/female split.

Spoon-feeding is hard my hand hurts!
    Long-haired Storm is standard and has much more universal appeal than the mohawk. Mohawks are counterculteral, punk and against the mainstream especially in females. Notice how few women walk around today with mohawks. That said, other hair styles have also looked nice on her like the one she sported during the "Onslaught" era and also the hairstyle from the "Arena" arc.

That said, I have never maintained that making her feminine and beautiful with long hair was all it takes to her solo to succeed. You are totally making that up because you are wrong on your point, thus you are now reduced to lying. What Storm's book needed was many things: she needed a physical look that carried greater universal appeal, she needed bigger stories with more challenging threats, she needed stories that were fresh instead of the rehashed nostalgic feel the opening stories in her title projected, she needed friends and foes that could rival her in appeal, and she needed a cast for her book unique from the other series Marvel publishes. She doesn't need leftovers from other books for friends and foes (though occassional guest-stars and the occassional borrowing of rogues from other series is more than fine). This is what I have always recommended and you know it, yet you choose to only focus on one aspect of what I said to try and make an assertion that Storm's look is the only thing I claim needed to be changed in that title.

Edit: One more thing the book needed was better marketing by Marvel.
    Last edited by rutog98; 08-07-2015 at 02:39 AM.

Out of curiosity would anyone stop being a fan of Storm if she was bi??? If Axel confirms the goddess is str8; I'll still be a big fan, Ororo is perfection.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-07-2015 at 02:21 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

No and that's not what I asked for either. I just wanted the "indisputable" narrative why.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

How does not being a fan of a female's character's fashion choices make you a misogynist? C'mon.

Out of curiosity would anyone stop being a fan of Storm if she was bi??? If Axel confirms the goddess is str8; I'll still be a big fan, Ororo is perfection.
    I wouldn't.

I'm all for it. It might help rejuvenate her a bit.