Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by K-Kitsune View Post
    I think the brigade need to realize that Claremont did the best he could with subtext at the time with characters like Storm, Destiny, Mystique etc because the Comics Code Authority forbade any on-panel homosexual relationships at the time, as well as Marvel's quite disgusting "No gays in the Marvel Universe" period, spearheaded by Jim Shooter in the 1980's. So a universe has aliens, mutants, eternals, gods etc but anything other than heterosexual is too wild? They couldn't use any obvious language so subtext is all that's there. I think in a way to completely ignore it in some way supports Jim Shooters ban and it's effect, which is really saddening.
    Which is "Never really got into it." It couldn't be much more plain than that. There is no reason Claremont can't say "That was what I was trying to say without saying it." Shooter does not control what he can or cannot say now.

Instead? "Never really got into it."

That's before you even get into that Claremont was great at bringing things up and not really addressing them. We're not talking about Hickman, here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Which is "Never really got into it." It couldn't be much more plain than that. There is no reason Claremont can't say "That was what I was trying to say without saying it." Shooter does not control what he can or cannot say now.

Instead? "Never really got into it."
    Didn't because he couldn't if he wanted to. It's important to keep "there were relationships that I felt transcended gender" & "I had my own thoughts" in that quote. Those thoughts live in the clear subtext. To outright ignore it, to go back and forth defending that position to your last breath, to only accept clear statements describing sexual labels & on-panel sexual acts at a time when all were banned, says a lot about you as a person.

He says "Never really got into it" as clearly as possible. He is saying it about something that took place in the past. If he was unable to address it then, nothing is stopping him from addressing it clearly now. Instead, he says "Never really got into it."

I totally accept the possibility that one of his thoughts may have been there being something more to that relationship. That said, I also accept it when the writer says "Never really got into it."

It's also worth noting that Shooter and the Comics Code Authority were long gone by the time Claremont penned X-Treme X-Men. He could have addressed that plotline and laid out exactly what "his own thoughts" were. If that was what he thought, what stopped him?

BANNED

It's also worth noting that Shooter and the Comics Code Authority were long gone by the time Claremont penned X-Treme X-Men. He could have addressed that plotline and laid out exactly what "his own thoughts" were. If that was what he thought, what stopped him?
    I'm taking any and all bets on which poster will make best excuse for Claremont... Any gamblers here
    Last edited by ZNOP; 08-03-2015 at 08:45 PM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The code was also gone during his stunt during Uncanny X-Men (where Sage cured Gambit's blindness). Yet there are scans on CSBG where he seemed to introduce some Storm/Logan/Nightcrawler love triangle (he dropped that, thank God).

BANNED

Wasn't Sage in a 3some with Rogue/Gambit?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    I'm taking any and all bets on which poster will make best excuse for Claremont... Any gamblers here
    He did address it in the arena, anyone remember there are a few scenes there that are um interesting?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arya View Post
    He did address it in the arena, anyone remember there are a few scenes there that are um interesting?
    Nope. I read it as friends and nothing more than that.

what's the consensus today?

Oh my is she ever!
    Marvel seems to be on diversification crusade. I'm sure they wouldn't resist Storm being confirmed as being bisexual on top of being African American and if she wasn't an X-Woman I'm sure they'd have given her a new solo in All-New Marvel and advertised it as the first solo with a bisexual African American female lead! But alas, she is an x-character and thus isn't allowed to have that level of promotion.

BANNED

He could have but there is a lot of subtext in the arena. Honestly with all the editorial influence on Xtreme we were lucky to have the book at all.

BANNED

Chris Claremont should write a new Storm ongoing, as he should have been doing from the start... Instead of Storm II it will be called Storm Bi.

BANNED

From the pages of X-Men Companion (1982)...

I knew I had this somewhere in here... It was just a matter of time before I found it