Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Briefly in the 70's Carol had a "seventh sense" which was similar to Mar-Vell's CA, but that went away. Her present powers are really her toned down Binary powers which are different from her Mar-Vell powers.
    It is funky how her powers changed. It was actually a plot point that Rogue *didn't* seem to absorb / replicate Carol's 'seventh sense' along with her other powers, and then, Carol lost it too. With some other characters, like Mar-Vell himself, the 'cosmic awareness' wasn't part of the generic Kree enhancement powerset, it was a specific gift, IIRC, from Eon, so Carol technically should never have had it. Then again, Mar-Vell wasn't invulnerable, couldn't (originally) fly without his nega-bands, and didn't absorb energy other than solar energy, just being basically super-strong, so Carol's powers already had little or nothing to do with Mar-Vell's original Kree enhancements.

Anywho, I kind of wish that Monica hadn't been ramped up to cosmic levels. The power to convert her mass into any form of energy up and down the EM spectrum was already pretty buff, without it advancing to the ability to do pretty much anything she wants, like shapeshifting or freezing people solid or blowing up planets, as long as the words 'energy' are used by the writer. That way lies the trail blazed by Jean Grey and Wanda Maximoff, other female characters who got 'too powerful' and had to be punished for it.

when did Monica get cosmic awareness?

Who was the most recent female Capt. Universe?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    when did Monica get cosmic awareness?

Who was the most recent female Capt. Universe?
    Check one of the early issues of Ultimates2. Ewing also referenced it when Monica was trying to penetrate the planetary force field.

The only female Captain Universe that I can think of is Tamara Devoux.

Edit: Found one of the panels where Monica mentions that she has a form of Cosmic Awareness. From Ultimates2 #7:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 08-26-2017 at 09:19 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by totalsellout View Post
    i find this whole thread odd since when i read as a kid i always felt marvel was pushing the hell out of monica. she was the most powerful avenger, secret wars was supposed to be all marvel's biggest characters and they put her in that (she had to be the newest, most unknown hero in that book), she went right to avengers chairman at a time when both thor and cap were on the team. maybe newer readers just don't remember it, but she was really pushed hard in the 80's.
    To me, it was pretty classy of the EIC Jim Shooter to include the newest, most unknown hero in the original Secret Wars pretty fly for a white guy

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Honestly i prefer Monica over Carol as the holder of the name, because i felt she was more likeable. I still like her more than Carol even before CWII in Ultimates and really she held the title better in my opinion.
    Truthfully I like Monica more than Carol too ... but Carol still has a stronger claim to the name than Monica. For Monica the NE was just a random choice, but with Carol there is actual history there.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by totalsellout
    i find this whole thread odd since when i read as a kid i always felt marvel was pushing the hell out of monica. she was the most powerful avenger, secret wars was supposed to be all marvel's biggest characters and they put her in that (she had to be the newest, most unknown hero in that book), she went right to avengers chairman at a time when both thor and cap were on the team. maybe newer readers just don't remember it, but she was really pushed hard in the 80's.
    I suspect that 'newest, most unknown hero' in Secret Wars would go to Julia Carpenter/Spider-Woman II, if not Volcana or Titania (who were the newest characters who didn't exactly go on to be heroes).

I guess we all have our own perceptions. In that era's Avengers, I felt like the Black Knight was being pushed unusually, romantically linked to the Wasp, Sersi *and* Crystal at various times, etc. but I never felt like Monica was getting anything special, and her becoming an Avenger felt very less after-school-special as the Falcon, who was added to the team by government mandate that might as well have said, 'You need a black guy on your team, and we want the least controversial one we can find.' (Triathlon later repeated that formula, in that his being added to the team by a third party mandate, and not the Avengers themselves, almost seemed surgically designed to make the readers resent him.)

I loved that Monica had a background in law enforcement, which, logically, would have made her more trusted by the boys in blue, who could have seen her presence on the Avengers as 'having one of their own' on the team.

Since Ultimates has finished, does anyone know if Spectrum will be in another book? I hope they don't dispatch her to limbo. I would love a Blue Marvel & Spectrum Mini Series. Thanks to Al Ewing for about 5 years of continuous Monica Rambeau!

Quote Originally Posted by EMPulse View Post
    Since Ultimates has finished, does anyone know if Spectrum will be in another book? I hope they don't dispatch her to limbo. I would love a Blue Marvel & Spectrum Mini Series. Thanks to Al Ewing for about 5 years of continuous Monica Rambeau!
    I wouldn't mind her and the rest of the ultimates show up in Black Panther's solo sometime. Has to be under a better writer though because Ta-Nahesi Coates is just the worst.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMPulse View Post

Loved the dynamic of these 2 in ultimates

Monica is my favourite character from the 80s and very undervalued imo

One of the best at marvel imo

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane D View Post
    Sharapova is the Carol to Serena's Monica, inferior in every way yet still gets the marketing push. - shingi70 from neogaf forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Lolololololololololololololol
    Courageous of marvel comics to do so or Disney doesn't care about a marvel comicbook series selling more then 20K.

BANNED

After the comicbook character Genis-Vell how are subsequent upholders faring?
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 10-10-2017 at 10:52 PM.

BANNED

Does the comicbook character Captain Mar-Vell push for any of them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think it was just one of those instances where she was a specific writers "pet" character (Stern) and once he was off the book, her push ended.

Englehart was that way with Mantis, and Harras was sort of like that with Sersi. They got monster pushes with a specific writer who brought them in and had a real interest in using them... but it didn't stick.
    Is ther any female marvel character nowadays that does 'stick'?

BANNED

Captain Marvel is nowadays very undervalued imo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    they should really rebrand Monica as a glamour girl of the MU, make her kind of a champagne sipping socialite, up her femininity, draw from old school Diana Ross in Mahogany aesthetics, and return her to the pink costume which by far was her best look EVAR.
    A very intriguing take which to me can be put into effect as a result of someone/something rewires/rewiring the very first Captain Marvel woman's mind.

it would set her apart in a lot of ways, her kind of basking in the luxury of being a superhero that the world adores. An innocently nebulus wonder woman of sorts that occasionally has to get checked on her privellege as a super powered being.
    To me, Blue Marvel is ideal to check Captain Marvel on her priveleges after becoming this innocently nebulus Wonder Woman.