Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657 LastLast

I'm going to be very blunt here.

A good while back, just after a number of comic book creators got harassed and abused, the Mod Team got together and made it fairly clear that NOTHING to do with comicsgate was welcome on these forums. Their history of harassment and general poor behaviour means that they are not welcome here.

The same goes for posting material produced by them.

You can support comicsgate and their assorted ranges of ignorance and stupidity all you like but don't bring them up here.
    Posting CG material is a good way to get a holiday from the forums.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I remember the issue that preceded this- I never got to read the follow-up. wow-- nice.
    I was very pleased that the issue depicts that the marvel character Captain Marvel is respectful and has faith in her friends the marvel characters Starfox and Spider-Man and acknowledges that female comicbook characters accept the aid of male comicbook characters instead of talking down to them or taking a **** on them.

Thus the marvel character Captain Marvel is presented in a likable manner which makes the reader care about said character and have the reader look forward to future marvel comics with the expectation that the character will continue to be presented in such a likable manner.

Now that I had a few minutes to spare, I went through about half of this thread and I deleted quite a lot of posts that were:
    * Off topic (seriously, there was a lot in here that belonged far better in an appreciation thread)
    and/or
    * Seriously close to copyright infringement

Folks, please keep discussions on point and constructive. Cheers.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    What didn't Marvel push her? Because nobody really cares. She's a Z-list Avenger, may as well give the D-list Avenger with a connection to the original Captain Marvel the Captain Marvel title when it comes time to put out a Captain Marvel comic for trademark reasons. Probably would have been more interesting if they went with Marvel Boy.

Who cares anyways, she was in Nextwave, and that's one of the best comics Marvel has put out since 2000...if not ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This doesn't actually mean anything given the initial question was why wasn't she pushed in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Because it was the 80's and they already had Storm as a powerfuf black female character, they didn't need two of those.
    I am taken aback that marvel comics does not depict the marvel characters Storm and Captain Marvel leading the X-Men and the Avengers

because marvel comics does not need to push black women comicbook characters, like Storm and Captain Marvel, doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I am taken aback that marvel comics does not depict the marvel characters Storm and Captain Marvel leading the X-Men and the Avengers

because marvel comics does not need to push black women comicbook characters, like Storm and Captain Marvel, doing so.
    Storm was leading the X-Men in recent years actually. Between AvX and IvX. She's usually the go-to leader when Scotts not around.

Monica has had a lot less luck. She often has trouble even getting on an Avengers team, let alone leading one. For the first part of Ewings Mighty Avengers they sort of implied she was field leader to the team but it never really amounted to much.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Do you mean why don't they make a bigger deal of their past leadership position? Because they did depict them as leaders. Monica was also the leader of Next Wave.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Do you mean why don't they make a bigger deal of their past leadership position? Because they did depict them as leaders. Monica was also the leader of Next Wave.
    Part of the problem is that the Avengers and X-Men have arguably the 2 best field leaders at Marvel (Captain America and Scott Summers) acting as the default leader. It almost makes sense to have them in charge when they're around.

But that's why I think having multiple Avenger and X-Men teams is a good idea.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Part of the problem is that the Avengers and X-Men have arguably the 2 best field leaders at Marvel (Captain America and Scott Summers) acting as the default leader. It almost makes sense to have them in charge when they're around.

But that's why I think having multiple Avenger and X-Men teams is a good idea.
    Agreed. And let's be honest, it would take another 50 years of anyone else getting the "best leader ever" treatment from Marvel before Cyclops or Captain America could be supplanted. Indeed, I don't think Cap will ever lose that mantle. When he dies the true death, someone will just resurrect his ghost to be the great leader that some future Avengers team needs.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Storm was leading the X-Men in recent years actually. Between AvX and IvX. She's usually the go-to leader when Scotts not around.

Monica has had a lot less luck. She often has trouble even getting on an Avengers team, let alone leading one. For the first part of Ewings Mighty Avengers they sort of implied she was field leader to the team but it never really amounted to much.
    Her leadership was awful and quite frankly best forgotten. Marvel has done Storm dirty in recent years

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Her leadership was awful and quite frankly best forgotten. Marvel has done Storm dirty in recent years
    You can argue they did Storm dirty in recent years... and you can argue the same for Cyclops in the years prior to Storm leading.

At the time, I think anyone in their position frankly would have been run through the mud. Given the position the mutants were put in during that whole time from decimation to the terrigen cloud, I'm not sure any could have come off smelling like roses.

But that's the downside of being put in a leadership position. It's not necessarily a positon you want your favorite character to be in, especially when times are tough.

She shouldn't be the go to leader when Cyke is not around...she should just be a leader, doing her own thing. I hate the every body under one leadership crap Marvel been pushing with the X-men for years.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    She shouldn't be the go to leader when Cyke is not around...she should just be a leader, doing her own thing. I hate the every body under one leadership crap Marvel been pushing with the X-men for years.
    Yeah, that's why there should be multiple X-Men books. It gives more characters opportunity to shine especailly given how many X-Men there are. And of course the same applies to the Avengers.

At least in Storms case, she's always been considered a top tier X-Men. So whether or not she's leading, she in the least is always there. Monica unfortunately is somewhat of a second (or maybe even third) tier Avenger. But the movie might change that. Once we get an adult super hero Monica on the big screen, I think her stock will rise a bit.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I still remember UXM #201.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I still remember UXM #201.
    If Claremont had never left the X-books, odds are Storm by this point might be the default leader of the X-Men. Or at least be on more of an even footing.

So I don't think we can really equate Storm to Monica in this regard. Storm might not be given the push she deserves, but for a long while at least she did have something going on there. Monica did too under Stern in Avengers, but to nowhere near the same length of time.

In hindsight I think Stern really did a great job with both Jan and Monica in Avengers. It's a shame he didn't have a longer run.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

It's a shame he didn't have a longer run.
    The bigger shame is that no one who came after Stern really cared to carry the torch forward re: Monica. They immediately went into deconstruction mode and left her in all kinds of shambles...at least until Ewing came along.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin