Page 48 of 57 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I doubt Ewing has anything in store for the very first Captain Marvel woman in 2018 although it was, to me, a marvelous revelation that the comicbook character Captain Marvel has her own sense of 'cosmic awareness', just like the comicbook character Captain Mar-Vell had his own sense of 'cosmic awareness'

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    Jesus Christ... Reading through this thread and seeing CERTAIN FANBASE dogging out Monica. Monica a joke? Really?

Anyways what does Ewing have in store for her?
    That shouldn't come as a shocked.

Ewing has nothing in store for her or Adam/Blue and that for best because they both deserve more than he gave & a better writer than him..

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I believe that Monica (should) have astronavigation powers, or Blue Marvel should be able to guide her with that exploration-- she shouldn't have big problem navigating through unknown space.
    That panel needs to be revised in light of the fact that (a) Monica has a degree of Cosmic Awareness and can probably find her way back home (although travelling at the speed of light still means that it might take her a looooooong time to get there, depending on how far away they are; and (b) Monica doesn't return to human form per Ewing's latest take on her, so jumping into hyperspace wouldn't turn her back to "normal" per se. It might force her to occupy a solid light form, though, momentarily.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I wonder if Monica would've been more popular if she got a series where she was drawn by Frank Cho.
    I wager it to be so..

The Captain is a Marvel!

I wonder what Derek Freeman is up to.

BANNED

To me, it is interesting to learn in whatever marvel comic what the comicbook character Derek Freeman is up to nowadays.
    Terrible that his brother Duane Freeman, who was an Avengers liaison, was one of the thousands who died when Kang the Conqueror reduced Washington D.C. to rubble in Avengers #49 Feb 2002.
    Although the comicbook character Derek Freeman´s romance with the comicbook character Captain Marvel never went anywhere it did in the MC2 universe,
    resulting in them becoming the parents of

Kendra Freeman

Blacklight

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by magisensei View Post
    When I first "meet" Captain Marvel in Avengers she was the newbie superhero with awesome powers and potential; she eventually even became the leader of the Avengers but it did not last long and I for one was saddened by the lack of her story line as leader.
    I agree with the lack of a story line as leader being saddening.

Whether it was the editors at Marvel going for a semi-collapse of the Avengers; or the inability to deal with a near-uber character (as Cap M is really powerful - as she was written in the 80s) or the timing of the comic book industry (character rights, big names opening their own company etc) - Marvel really did an injustice by not utilizing a great character to its potential.
    I'll say.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    When marvel made a black woman the leader of the avengers in the 80's... it wasn't even a thing and NO ONE batted an eye, but today.... thing are done for show instead of substance. Which is what I think about carol is that she's a perfect blonde sue. The thing is she's not a character to me, she's a power fantasy for people who feel under-powered. She's her fans Superman, backed up by all the wrong types of Social justice. Its hard to have a discussion about it because of the silencing/bullying/vitrol, and group think. For marvel it's not worth the headache.
    To me, nowadays things are most certainly done for show instead of substance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    When Marvel made a black woman the leader of the avengers in the 80's...
    When Roger Stern made a black woman the leader of the avengers in the 80's... Marvel took notice, removed the writer, and put Captain America back in charge.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    When Roger Stern made a black woman the leader of the avengers in the 80's... Marvel took notice, removed the writer, and put Captain America back in charge.
    Exactly. And they didn't stop there.

Yeah, Mark Gruenwald was responsible for a lot of great stuff, but that? Yeah, that was a dick move. He completely screwed over Monica in order to make his own pet character, Steve Rogers, look better. And Monica's never fully recovered from what Gruenwald had done to her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Yeah, Mark Gruenwald was responsible for a lot of great stuff, but that? Yeah, that was a dick move. He completely screwed over Monica in order to make his own pet character, Steve Rogers, look better. And Monica's never fully recovered from what Gruenwald had done to her.
    Its true that his pushing Monica out of the chairman spot to get Cap back in the role really derailed her character for a long time. But I don't think he ever intended to hurt Monica--just to promote Steve. Its worth noting that for a long time after Stern was off AVENGERS, Gruenwald was actually one of the writers doing the most to keep Monica appearing. He used her in multiple guest appearances in QUASAR, and in a major role in his STARBLAST miniseries, etc. So I don't think he actually had anything against Monica herself. She just ended up as unfortunate collateral damage in his efforts to promote Captain America.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'm assuming Gruenwald was just doing as told by the editor in chief.

Everything I've read indicates it was Gruenwald's decision. That he wanted Steve leading the Avengers, and he brought in a writer who would do it, even if it meant completely screwing over Monica in order to do it.

It sounds like it was Mark Gruenwald's idea:
    First, let me say that I like Rog and probably owe my job at Marvel Comics to a recommendation from him. We've had a long and pleasurable working relationship for almost a decade, him as my editor and later me as his. He was always dependable, enthusiastic, and meticulous, and for my money, one of the best wordsmiths in the business today. So then, what happened?

Sometime mid-April, I had Roger fly to New York for a conference to map out the next year's AVENGERS story line and coorindate them with our two component books CAPTAIN AMERICA and THOR. In an afternoon long session attended by the various concerned writers and editors (two of whom are both writers and editors but not of the same title), we worked out what I thought to be an interesting, innovative direction. It seemed like all participants agreed. However, when Roger got back home and began to work out the specific details to the scenario, he reported that he couldn't come up with any way to make the scenario work without doing injustice to some of the characters involved. The bottom line was that he didn't want to proceed with the story line we all discussed.

I was not interested in doing any injustices to any characters either, but I also believed that the story line could be done without hurting any characters. I was also not interested in forcing a writer to write something he didn't want to. So, despite our five years' plus of amicable working relations, we had developed what seemed to be irreconcilable differences. Something had to give. I informed Roger that I wanted to proceed with the agreed-upon story line and thus, I would hire another writer who could get behind the scenario enough to do it justice.

So that's that the straight poop. I hope to work with Rog again on a regular basis in the future (I have managed to get him to write some SOLO AVENGERS stories), but right now I imagine that we're both a bit gun-shy. (I know what it feels like to leave a series not fully of one's volition-- it happened to me twice.) Anyway, I'd like to thank Roger for five years of good hard avenging, and give him a chance to say good-bye.
    --Mark Gruenwald
    This is from an interview with Roger Stern:
    I wound up at DC because I was fired from the Avengers and no Marvel editor was returning my calls.

No, I take that back, I did get one call. Jim Salicrup had become the editor of the Spider-Man titles and he called me up and offered me work on Spectacular Spider-Man. But this was right after Spider-Man – well, Peter Parker – had gotten married to Mary Jane Watson, which I thought was a huge mistake for both characters. So I thanked Jim and asked him to give me a call if and when that fell apart.

But I wasn’t disillusioned with Marvel, so much as I was disappointed in the place. I’d been working steadily for them for nearly twelve years, turning out stories that I thought were pretty good. The readership seemed to agree, and I’d never gotten any complaints from any of my editors. But then, suddenly, it was all over.

I’d disagreed with one editorial suggestion about the Avengers line-up. My editor wanted a change that I thought distasteful, and I sent him a memo to that effect. I would have liked to have discussed the matter further, but I was never given a chance. Instead, I received a message that I was fired.

And then, I discovered that my exclusive Marvel contract was pretty much worthless. Thanks to some wording in the fine print, I was required to deliver so many pages of material to Marvel in a given time, but Marvel wasn’t required to give me any assignments. An interesting Catch-22. Fortunately, the contract also had an escape clause, so I exercised it and went calling on Mike Carlin, who by that time had landed at DC.