Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ultimate Member

Default Why didn't Marvel push Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel

When I first started reading the Avengers, Monica Rambeau led the team as Captain Marvel and had a pretty high profile.

She also had a pretty awesome power set.

I'm not saying that Carol Danvers should be pushed aside but I'm just curious as to why exactly didn't push Monica Rambeau more as one of Marvel's premiere female characters.

BANNED

Carol has a small but dedicated readership?

I guess the same could be said of many female characters who may have experienced popularity at one time, then later fell by the wayside.

BANNED

Perhaps, the writers are building towards a "Rouge-ish" type relationship between Monica and Carol.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

There was a perception among creators that Monica was Roger Stern's character, and that he should be the one who stewarded the character. You have to remember that this was during the period when the creator rights' issues were starting to boil over. It was not an official policy, but a sign of respect for Roger.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    There was a perception among creators that Monica was Roger Stern's character, and that he should be the one who stewarded the character. You have to remember that this was during the period when the creator rights' issues were starting to boil over. It was not an official policy, but a sign of respect for Roger.

There was also a perception that no one could top what Ellis did with her in Nextwave which many writers backed up until DeConnick and Ewing

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    There was also a perception that no one could top what Ellis did with her in Nextwave which many writers backed up until DeConnick and Ewing
    Yeah, but Nextwave was twenty years later. In the '80s and '90s, it was very much tied into the creators' rights movement, and a solidarity by creators to avoid characters who had been defined by a particular creator. Monica wasn't alone in that-- there was Elektra, Beta Ray Bill, etc. Eventually, they'd all get used by other creators, but for a time, there was an unofficial effort to stay away from them. (The position on Elektra, as I understand it, was quasi-official by Marvel until it was clear that Miller wasn't going to come back a third time to work on the character.)

The other problem was that Marvel has to print a Captain Marvel comic ever few years or they'd lose the trademark, which DC would snap up in a minute for their Captain Marvel. That's why Genis was created and given a comic in the early '90s by Fabian Nicieza. So you get a revolving door on the character with the title.

Monica is still my favorite.
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 07-28-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Monica was really one of the true great Marvel characters of the 80's, and one of the best Avengers of all time. What destroyed her was Walt Simonson. Don't get me wrong...I love Walt Simonson, but every creator makes some questionable decisions and making one of the strongest black, females characters of all time incompetent and then powerless was not a great decision.

Since then she's kind of floundered.

I like Carol as Captain Marvel. She deserves it. Oddly, a lot of the same things were done to her as were done to Monica before Kurt Busiek reminded everyone of how great she is. Hopefully someone will do the same for Monica. I was really hoping Bendis would use her.

Also, I hate these bland placeholder names they keep giving her. If she can't be Captain Marvel I think they should call her Marvel Woman. That seems to have the magnitude the character deserves.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

NEXT WAVE! NEXT WAVE! NEXT WAVE!
    ('scuse, please. Still waiting for #13, here. NEXT WAVE, yay!!)
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

BANNED

It was hilarious reading Captain America, Ulysses Bloodstone and the Celestials OOC.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I did a custom bind of Stern's Avengers run and included a lot of articles, etc in the back of each of book. There were some interesting things regarding Monica...here is one:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-unfortun...eau-1726108988

There was also a CBR article about how Stern quit Avengers due to editorial and what they wanted done with her vs what he wanted to do...

EDIT: Sorry I just realized I replied to a very old post. I'm brain dead.
    Last edited by bobellis75; 10-17-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Perhaps, the writers are building towards a "Rouge-ish" type relationship between Monica and Carol.
    They sure are taking their sweet time about it. Perhaps we'll find out when "Ultimates" comes out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    When I first started reading the Avengers, Monica Rambeau led the team as Captain Marvel and had a pretty high profile.

She also had a pretty awesome power set.

I'm not saying that Carol Danvers should be pushed aside but I'm just curious as to why exactly didn't push Monica Rambeau more as one of Marvel's premiere female characters.
    Because Marvel decided they wanted Captain America to be the leader of The Avengers. It all went down hill from there. Caorl Danvers, unlike Monica has gained in popularity in the past ten years. Basically, Monica's time has passed. Monica has been getting more exposure in the last couple of years, though. Marvel may be giving her more exposure, so they can introduce her in the movies.

Also, while Monica's powers of energy sound cool, I'd much rather see a female character that could match the toughest male heroes physically. It would be badass to see Carol Danvers rough up Thor a bit in a fight.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Monica is ok but she just hasn't been pushed the way Carol has over the last decade.

Certain characters are simply ruined and never really recover. Like Gambit or Jubilation.

It is going to take a A-list creative team to rehabilitate Monica and make her relevant again. Until then, she will just continue to listlessly exist.

As one of the few female POC characters in Marvels Avengers roster, she will probably get that rehabilitation sooner rather than later. Like the Guardians, it will come a year or two before the movie premie.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 07-29-2015 at 12:32 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Monica is ok but she just hasn't been pushed the way Carol has over the last decade.

Certain characters are simply ruined and never really recover. Like Gambit or Jubilation.

It is going to take a A-list creative team to rehabilitate Monica and make her relevant again. Until then, she will just continue to listlessly exist.

As one of the few female POC characters in Marvels Avengers roster, she will probably get that rehabilitation sooner rather than later. Like the Guardians, it will come a year or two before the movie premie.
    It's strange that Monica was a Spider-Man created character who has never battled any of his rogue galleries like Dr. Ock or Molten Man head to head. Like Tigra, Monica plays second fiddle to the other Marvel characters outside of the Avengers.

Personally, I like Monica as Captain Marvel better than on Carol Danvers.

BANNED

Bad timing. Someone decided to dust off Carol and retool her for the 21st century and she got the right push at the right time. Both are good characters with enough development to deserve some spotlight, but Monica hasn't had the luck yet. Plenty of time, bubble shouldn't burst for another 5 years or so.