Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

It's funny how the Cloak and Dagger TV series also involves an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico and a unique source of energy.

It's also interesting how Monica's powers are limited to the electromagnetic spectrum, despite the fact their origins may actually be a universe/dimension/instance where more exotic forms of energy exist. Is it possible that Monica can channel and manipulate forms of energy that are not native to the known universe, and hence, energies with properties that can't be absorbed or adapted by anyone other than Monica on this side of the dimensional breach? I wonder if any of her past writers have explored that possibility?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It's funny how the Cloak and Dagger TV series also involves an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico and a unique source of energy.

It's also interesting how Monica's powers are limited to the electromagnetic spectrum, despite the fact their origins may actually be a universe/dimension/instance where more exotic forms of energy exist. Is it possible that Monica can channel and manipulate forms of energy that are not native to the known universe, and hence, energies with properties that can't be absorbed or adapted by anyone other than Monica on this side of the dimensional breach? I wonder if any of her past writers have explored that possibility?
    I think there was some suggestion of her being able to use exotic energy in ultimates2 iirc

To be fair she controls 1 of the 4 fundamental principles of the universe so her power level is off the charts really

I mean, she could just shut down a person's brain with a thought if she wanted, uber powerful

I just love this character so much, would love her to be in mcu

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Why is it always a Carol vs Monica thing?
    I think it's because of the push that everyone else named Captain Marvel received, while Monica was basically championed only by one person and grossly mistreated/mishandled by just about everyone else. She's since been thrust into Carol's shadow, which is not only ironic for all of the obvious reasons, but potentially reaffirms the widely held belief that privilege is the culprit.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

I think it's because of the push that everyone else named Captain Marvel received, while Monica was basically championed only by one person and grossly mistreated/mishandled by just about everyone else. She's since been thrust into Carol's shadow, which is not only ironic for all of the obvious reasons, but potentially reaffirms the widely held belief that privilege is the culprit.
    But what about the three ( four if you count that Skrull) other white people who had the mantle after Monica and before Carol? One of which took Monica's name twice! It's like people have forgotten about them in order to make this a Carol/Monica beef.

But what about the three ( four if you count that Skrull) other white people who had the mantle after Monica and before Carol? One of which took Monica's name twice! It's like people have forgotten about them in order to make this a Carol/Monica beef.
    My guess would be that eventually they would have made their peace with any kin that took Marvel's name. But short of that, the name should have gone back to Monica before Carol appropriated it. Especially since Monica went for ages without a great moniker. Even her current one of Spectrum lacks the prestige of "Captain Marvel". These are all emotional arguments. Let's not look for logic here. People feel how they feel. I've known people to take misgivings to their grave. It wouldn't surprise me if 20 years from now someone starts a thread complaining about how Monica Rambeau deserved better.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Niffleheim

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    This is a lot of speculation. Who says that if Monica shows up in a movie she's automatically going to be Carol's sidekick?

This is a lot of speculation. Who says that if Monica shows up in a movie she's automatically going to be Carol's sidekick?
    They better not make her a sidekick.

~James Baldwin

At least she's in the movie; I'm not convinced Mar-Vell will even get an appearance.

I think this is a good likelihood that Monica will appear in Phase 4. They've made sure that she won't be aged out of appearing as a heroine by making Maria the friend and confidant of Carol instead. Without getting into the whole "who should bear the Captain Marvel mantle" issue, I actually prefer Photon as a codename and it has more meaning here if Monica takes the name in memory of her mother.

I mean, she's probably not going to be a Robin-esque "holy _____ Carol!" (Since that's what they've made Spider-Man), but I wouldn't be surprised if Monica serves a similar role to Carol in the movies that Falcon, Wong, Bucky, or some of T'Challa's supporting cast have served in tehir movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, she's probably not going to be a Robin-esque "holy _____ Carol!" (Since that's what they've made Spider-Man), but I wouldn't be surprised if Monica serves a similar role to Carol in the movies that Falcon, Wong, Bucky, or some of T'Challa's supporting cast have served in tehir movies.
    Ironic, isn't it? Monica doesn't have any relationship to the original Captain Marvel. When she was introduced, it was as her own independent character and headliner. But when the public at large finally gets introduced to her, it will be as a shadow/sidekick/supporting character in Carol's life -- Carol, who often struggled to be viewed as an independent woman in her own right.

Honestly, I'd rather not have Monica in the movie at all, if this is the trash can lid and dumpster table on which an otherwise beautiful meal has to be served. Integrate her into the next Black Panther movie. I guaranty you our goddess of light won't be living in anyone's shadow there.

~James Baldwin

She doesn't have to live in someone's shadow to be involved in one of Carol's movies. Supporting characters quite frequently have their own integral roles in the story. They're a necessary component of any story.

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    She doesn't have to live in someone's shadow to be involved in one of Carol's movies. Supporting characters quite frequently have their own integral roles in the story. They're a necessary component of any story.
    Supporting characters augment the main character. But it's never THEIR story, is it? That's what I'm railing against here. Monica deserves her own story. Let Carol's movie be about Carol. There is ample material there that doesn't involve Monica. If it's representation they want, well, Rhodey should do just fine. He's already an established derivative sidekick in the MCU.

~James Baldwin

BANNED

Honestly, I'd rather not have Monica in the movie at all, if this is the trash can lid and dumpster table on which an otherwise beautiful meal has to be served. Integrate her into the next Black Panther movie. I guaranty you our goddess of light won't be living in anyone's shadow there.
    She's probably not even born yet during this movie, which takes place during the 90's.