Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So who do we blame for the Doctor Druid debacle?
    That was also Gruenwald. He liked what Stern had done with the character earlier (Incredible Hulk, I think, where Dr Droom first appeared in standard Marvel continuity renamed Dr Druid) and thought he would make a good addition to the team. He was left over for Walt to deal with. Simonson had a much larger story involving the Time Bubble, but he kept getting undercut by editorial interference, which is why he left the book. Eventually he'd finish it in Fantastic Four in a massive cosmic storyline.

Because after she lost the Captain Marvel title to Genis, as well as her replacement name, Marvel turned Monica into a running-gag based on how everybody keeps stealing her superhero names.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

She's never been adapted in video game form. That is atrocious. There's no excuse not to include her in Marvel Heroes and other games.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 07-28-2015 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    She's never been adapted in video game form. That is atrocious. There's no excuse not to include her in Marvel Heroes and other games.
    Wasn't she an alt skin/costume for Carol in one of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    When I first started reading the Avengers, Monica Rambeau led the team as Captain Marvel and had a pretty high profile.

She also had a pretty awesome power set.

I'm not saying that Carol Danvers should be pushed aside but I'm just curious as to why exactly didn't push Monica Rambeau more as one of Marvel's premiere female characters.
    Because Marvel decided they wanted Captain America to be the leader of The Avengers. It all went down hill from there. Caorl Danvers, unlike Monica has gained in popularity in the past ten years. Basically, Monica's time has passed. Monica has been getting more exposure in the last couple of years, though. Marvel may be giving her more exposure, so they can introduce her in the movies.

Also, while Monica's powers of energy sound cool, I'd much rather see a female character that could match the toughest male heroes physically. It would be badass to see Carol Danvers rough up Thor a bit in a fight.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Monica is ok but she just hasn't been pushed the way Carol has over the last decade.

Certain characters are simply ruined and never really recover. Like Gambit or Jubilation.

It is going to take a A-list creative team to rehabilitate Monica and make her relevant again. Until then, she will just continue to listlessly exist.

As one of the few female POC characters in Marvels Avengers roster, she will probably get that rehabilitation sooner rather than later. Like the Guardians, it will come a year or two before the movie premie.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 07-29-2015 at 12:32 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Monica is ok but she just hasn't been pushed the way Carol has over the last decade.

Certain characters are simply ruined and never really recover. Like Gambit or Jubilation.

It is going to take a A-list creative team to rehabilitate Monica and make her relevant again. Until then, she will just continue to listlessly exist.

As one of the few female POC characters in Marvels Avengers roster, she will probably get that rehabilitation sooner rather than later. Like the Guardians, it will come a year or two before the movie premie.
    It's strange that Monica was a Spider-Man created character who has never battled any of his rogue galleries like Dr. Ock or Molten Man head to head. Like Tigra, Monica plays second fiddle to the other Marvel characters outside of the Avengers.

Personally, I like Monica as Captain Marvel better than on Carol Danvers.

BANNED

Bad timing. Someone decided to dust off Carol and retool her for the 21st century and she got the right push at the right time. Both are good characters with enough development to deserve some spotlight, but Monica hasn't had the luck yet. Plenty of time, bubble shouldn't burst for another 5 years or so.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    That wasn't Simonson's decision, it was editor Mark Grunewald's. He came up with the idea that Monica would fail at leading the Avengers, necessitating Captain America (Gruenwald's favourite character) coming back to sort things out and take the lead. When Stern objected to the idea, Gruenwald took him off the book and had him replaced by Simonson, who carried out Gruenwald's plot. Or at least, that's what I've heard happened.
    Yeah, this is the answer.

Also, I don't know why a lot of people immediately brought up Carol when Monica was pushed aside ages before Carol ever took up the codename, with two or three people using it between that time. I know it's shocking, but we could have lived in a world where both Carol Danvers and Monica Rambeau occupied important, popular positions in our favorite monthly superhero stories.

Anyways, the moral of the story is that female characters got screwed over a lot in the 80s, and it's tough for them because the only way for them to come back is to find people who can give them the proper love and get enough people to read it.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 07-29-2015 at 04:24 AM.

Monica never had a real claim on the title like the others. Carol was supporting cast for Mar-Vell. Genis and Phyla were Mar-Vell's kids. Monica was completely separate and was only given the name to keep the trademark. Yes the others were also to keep the trade-mark, but at least it made sense for them to be Captain Marvel story-wise. Yes, Monica is definitely a character that should be promoted more and she's even gonna be in the Ultimates soon alongside Carol, Black Panther, etc so that will help with recognition. But she won't go back to being Captain Marvel (especially with the movie), but if she's supported as Spectrum then Marvel will hopefully take notice and she'll be in more stuff. Though I have to admit it's pretty hilarious that she kept losing hero names to that running joke.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Personally, I like Monica as Captain Marvel better than on Carol Danvers.
    I don't care who gets the name, since I liked Warbird for Carol and I like Photon or Spectrum just fine for Monica. Genis-Vell can have the Captain Marvel name, if he ever pulls himself together.

I do like Monica better than Carol, both as a character and in powerset, finding Monica's powers more unique and visually exciting, and nothing at all like 'Marvel's Wonder Woman.'

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I'd quite like to see the title of Captain Marvel become more of a Nova/Green Lantern thing.

You could have Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel, Genis as Captain Marvel, Teddy Altman as Captain Marvel. Make it a Corp. A team book all linked by the title Marvel.

So instead of having the Carol Corp, you have the Marvel Corp - this also lends itself to merchandise and means anyone can be a Captain Marvel. Kids would love it.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    There's a lot of Marvel characters who have never been in video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    That wasn't Simonson's decision, it was editor Mark Grunewald's.
    I've heard that too. Doesn't really matter to me. It still killed the character's momentum dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
    Caorl Danvers, unlike Monica has gained in popularity in the past ten years.
    Yeah, but younger fans don't remember that between the early 80's to the about the mid-90's Carol was where Monica is. Floating around lost. Same thing with Jessica Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Bad timing. Someone decided to dust off Carol and retool her for the 21st century and she got the right push at the right time.
    Oddly, didn't I hear they originally were going to launch Gravity as the new Captain Marvel, and then couldn't for some reason, and that's when Carol got the title?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Monica's powers more unique and visually exciting, and nothing at all like 'Marvel's Wonder Woman.'
    I kind of consider her Marvel's Captain Atom.

Again, I like Carol as Captain Marvel, probably because I think she should have gotten the title when Mar-Vell died. I just want to see Monica get her props. She's a great character with a really long, prestigious run as an Avenger.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Gravity was supposed to be the new Captain Marvel but I don't know if that is related to Carol getting the title. McDuffie was going to resurrect Gravity as the new Captain Marvel during Civil War, but instead Marvel decided to go with the whole Skrull Mar-Vell plot.