Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Honestly I am kind of annoyed over the lack of Monica works for a while, but thanks to Al Ewing for placing her back onto the spotlight.

BANNED

Happy Birthday to the late GREAT Dwayne Glenn McDuffie!!!

Captain Marvel Vol. 2 #1, written by Dwayne McDuffie of Milestone comics fame. Captain Marvel may not have had Captain Mar-vell’s cosmic awareness or even Ms. Marvel’s seventh sense, but Dwayne McDuffie saw an opportunity in writing her.

BANNED

McDuffie took full advantage of every single page, putting race and gender issues center-stage throughout the character’s stories, even including quotes by famous Black women, like Zora Neale Hurston and Audre Lorde.
    Captain Marvel, flying home after a victory with an inspiring Zora Neale Hurston quote in mind
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 02-20-2016 at 05:13 AM.

BANNED

The first issue was much much subtler than the second, but issue #1 still had more Black and brown characters sharing the page than we ever saw in an Avengers comic in the 80’s & 90’s.
    A group of students confront an armed white supremacist group

BANNED

In issue #2, however… McDuffie really went to town. The cover itself is more radical, featuring in big bold type the title of the issue “Free Your Mind” and a No-Hate symbol is stashed under the Marvel icon.

The story features Captain Marvel intervening when a white supremacist hate-group on a college campus starts violently assaulting students of color. She is initially recruited to protect a young Black man who is organizing a multiracial group of students to set up a patrol and fight back to keep minority students safe. Things of course just aren’t that simple, since the hate group’s managed to nab some alien tech that puts the hurt on pretty hard. So Captain Marvel has to go all energy storm on them.

BANNED

Captain Marvel even gets the chance to make an inspired self-love speech and quote Audre Lorde.
    Captain Marvel quotes Audre Lorde

BANNED

Happy Birthday Greg Larocque!!!

Marvelous cover and the way Captain Marvel springs into action is, to me, TERRIFIC!!!
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 02-24-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    In issue #2, however… McDuffie really went to town. The cover itself is more radical, featuring in big bold type the title of the issue “Free Your Mind” and a No-Hate symbol is stashed under the Marvel icon.

The story features Captain Marvel intervening when a white supremacist hate-group on a college campus starts violently assaulting students of color. She is initially recruited to protect a young Black man who is organizing a multiracial group of students to set up a patrol and fight back to keep minority students safe. Things of course just aren’t that simple, since the hate group’s managed to nab some alien tech that puts the hurt on pretty hard. So Captain Marvel has to go all energy storm on them.

Kudos. During that time frame, I didn't even know that there was an issue #2. I thought there was just the one-shot drawn by MD Bright and an arc in Solo Avengers. How many issues were there?

no matter what marvel call's her MONICA will always be CPT MARVEL in my eyes and CAROL will always be MS MARVEL

they had a chance to make monica into captain universe and give her a VIP role in the marvel universe when hickman joined the avengers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    And this is why no one takes Monica seriously.
    Her response?
    Them comicbook characters Prince Namor and Hercules were dealt with by them comicbook character Captain Marvel! Poor guys.
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 01-01-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

In terms of raw power, and forthright compassionate character, Monica was created as Superman-level.

Of course, everyone in Ultimates, right now, is way the hell up there, but there's a difference between brilliant or massively powered characters and "familiar faces," or faces that are - not entirely by skin color or gender - able to sell a broad audience on their superior status.

Even Nextwave's excellent talent, found it easier to sell Devil Dinosaur as a villain and Monica as the character Captain America didn't respect.

I love Carol. I've loved Carol since I was a little kid. I got fanboyishly jerky with Kurt Busiek over her, because how dare he make her an alcoholic screw-up who can't coordinate in a plan, when, in hindsight, that was the point. But, Carol's Captain Marvel for the same reason Mar-Vell went from space-nazi-turned-space-dad-drag to saint after he died. It's easy to market.

And, it's a good name, Captain Marvel. Marvel's got to use it for someone.

Thankfully, most of Monica's and Carol's appearances have been good comics. That, for me, is ultimately the most important thing.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Well, there was that time when Carol was a violent drunk who put even Tony Stark to shame.

No way! To me, the comicbook character Tony Stark is a 100 times worse of a violent drunk than the comicbook character Carol Danvers. So no, Carol Danvers does not put Tony Stark to shame.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    No one - as far as I remember - died in what was a two year storyline (if it was that long), and even then, it's hardly on par with being an assassin, and I don't remember her being particularly violent.

She didn't even build a robot to attack her teammates, with an offswitch to make her look good. So how far could she really have fallen?
    To me, not far. To me, she recovered quickly. Ms. Marvel and Spider-Woman being HEROES again