Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Baby_Hater666 View Post
    Changing your name a lot is hardly the same as being Aquaman.

Low blow.
    What I mean is you don't want Monica changing her name to define her too much.

I'll let the Aquaman jab slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Well I've complained about her. I was a big fan of Magik's back in her New Mutant days, but they've boosted her powers and abilities so much she's really too powerful for the team. Thor works because he has a whole load of foes from Norse mythology who are on or near his power-level.
    But what about when he's on a team?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What I mean is you don't want Monica changing her name to define her too much.

I'll let the Aquaman jab slide.
    I don't think it defines her but I do see it as an opportunity to add a little more personality and quirk to the character. Euwing's interpretation has felt middle of the road and stiff.

I apologize for slighting Aquaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    But what about when he's on a team?
    Then he's a pain in the arse to write for. Back when I used to read Avengers he tended to take long leaves of absence and only turn up for the big foes. They also made him more stupid than he was in his own book, which helped reduce his effectiveness - and of course for these reasons he's rarely in the leadership position, because when the team's big gun is also the guy giving the orders then that person dominates the book.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Then he's a pain in the arse to write for. Back when I used to read Avengers he tended to take long leaves of absence and only turn up for the big foes. They also made him more stupid than he was in his own book, which helped reduce his effectiveness - and of course for these reasons he's rarely in the leadership position, because when the team's big gun is also the guy giving the orders then that person dominates the book.
    It depends on the writer...I'm think of back in the 70's Thor was actually co-chairman with Iron Man, but the Avengers comic was really dominated by Vision, Wanda, and other characters that didn't have their own book.

Invincible Member

For what it's worth, I never bought into the "so-n-so it too powerful to be on a team argument", even when I was a kid. At the same time Thor was leaving the Avengers, writers were still to do stories with Superman in the JLA and Hulk in the Defenders. Hell, every other issue Wonder Man was saying things like "My fists hit like Thor's hammer!" He didn't have to leave cuz he was too powerful...

BANNED

Good question. Maybe because Marvel wants to clearly tell us that Carol is Marvel's female face?

Extraordinary Member

Why they didn't push Monica in the '80s brings up another point: Marvel in the '80s hardly pushed any solo character, except Dazzler. It was a team-dominated era.

During the Jim Shooter era of Marvel, there was a clear perception that team books were more popular than solo books. So when they launched new ongoings, they were usually spinoffs of existing team books like West Coast Avengers and New Mutants. Solo characters were mostly given limited series only. Even Wolverine, the undisputed breakout star of X-Men, whose first limited series was a huge hit, never got his own ongoing until 1988.

So the '80s were just a bad time to be a new character whose name wasn't Dazzler. Everyone was tied to teams and there were few solo ongoings for new characters. I think this is one reason why Marvel has a shortage of female stars: the '80s was a great era for female characters at Marvel, with Claremont and Miller and Stern and others creating new, stronger, more powerful women (or strengthening past characters like the Wasp), but none of them got solo series to establish them as stars.

Carol gets pushed in part because she got her solo series, in an era (the '70s) that had a lot more solo comics. So like She-Hulk, everyone knows she's an established star, even when she isn't doing anything.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Phla-Vell.... Sigh.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    When I first started reading the Avengers, Monica Rambeau led the team as Captain Marvel and had a pretty high profile.

She also had a pretty awesome power set.
    Still has.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    Monica was really one of the true great Marvel characters of the 80's, and one of the best Avengers of all time. What destroyed her was Walt Simonson. Don't get me wrong...I love Walt Simonson, but every creator makes some questionable decisions and making one of the strongest black, females characters of all time incompetent and then powerless was not a great decision.
    Marvel comics continues to this day with their incompetent decisions regarding Captain Marvel

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Marvel comics continues to this day with their incompetent decisions regarding Captain Marvel
    Such as their obsession of making Carol into a Space Cop.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    You can argue they're doing a pretty solid job pushing Carol. She's got her own solo book (even though it's not quite setting the sales charts on fire), and she's got a movie coming down the pike in a few years.

I won't say she's necessarily suceeded in winning over the readership, but I think marvel is doing a descent job pushing her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Well, she IS Captain Marvel, so it makes sense making her more of a cosmic character. I know what you're thinking. Carol should be on Earth so she can team up with Spider-Man. Sorry, its not going to happen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I have seen a cover drawn by Terry Dodson featuring Binary up front while left and right depicts her Space Cop sidekicks;

Captain Marvel
    Blue Marvel
    King T'Challa
    AC
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 08-27-2015 at 05:25 AM.