Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Purple Man?

Spectacular Member

Default The Purple Man?

I was looking around on the most evil comic villians of all time and the purple man came up. Can someone explain to me who the hell he is? I like to hear from the comic community more than wikipedia because you're all direct. Thanks!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mgoldman14 View Post
    I was looking around on the most evil comic villians of all time and the purple man came up. Can someone explain to me who the hell he is? I like to hear from the comic community more than wikipedia because you're all direct. Thanks!
    I can tell you Zebediah Killgrave was a known pervert and rapist -- his many kids justly forced him into walking in front of a train -- too bad his healing factor brought him back from the brink of death...
    Last edited by ZNOP; 07-28-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Spectacular Member

Hmm, maybe he'll appear in Netflix's Daredevil??

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

He's the main villain of Jessica Jones Netflix show.

Supernatural Inhuman! Lucena Soares's Avatar

He will be the "Big Bad" for Netflix's Jessica Jones. That has been stated since the series was announced. The actor is the same one that played The Tenth in Doctor Who.

he got his powers by bathing in the purple rain
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

He's a mind control villain, more or less. His reputation comes from some really nasty work that Bendis did with him in Alias.

While he's definitely up there on the evil scale, I don't know if he's any more evil than any of the other mind control villains out there. Mandrill, Controller, Corruptor, Shadow King, Psycho Man, Malice . . . if you delve deeply enough into the implications of their powers and their actions, they're all pretty disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    He's a mind control villain, more or less. His reputation comes from some really nasty work that Bendis did with him in Alias.

While he's definitely up there on the evil scale, I don't know if he's any more evil than any of the other mind control villains out there. Mandrill, Controller, Corruptor, Shadow King, Psycho Man, Malice . . . if you delve deeply enough into the implications of their powers and their actions, they're all pretty disturbing.
    I've often felt he could be the scariest villain in the MU. Easily could be Marvels Joker.

Other villains will just try and kill you. Purple Man will rape your family and make you join in. That's a whole other level of messed up. He's a villain that can probably only achieve his full potential in a max title.

I do hope he gets more of a push if he's showing up on the Jessica Jones show soon.

Spectacular Member

More evil than the Nazi Red Skull? Tbh, if I had to be killed by any villian it would be the Joker.

There was a really good episode of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes where he was the villain and took over the world by mind-controlling Iron Man. He was voiced by Brent Spiner and was fantastic. But not nearly as dark as Alias.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    There was a really good episode of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes where he was the villain and took over the world by mind-controlling Iron Man. He was voiced by Brent Spiner and was fantastic. But not nearly as dark as Alias.
    That was a variation on the 80's graphic novel Emperor Doom. Doom took over the world by capturing, controlling, and magnifying Purple Man's powers. The role of Vision was done by Wonder Man instead and Doom had all AI's neutralized as Purple Man's powers wouldn't have any effect on them. IIRC, ultimately Doom gave it all up because despite being a benevolent despot and doing much good, he quite literally got bored.

My intro to Purple Man was an old Marvel Team-Up Annual that had a lot of the street level guys (Spidey, Daredevil, Power-man and Iron Fist, Moon Knight). As others mentioned, Bendis kind of took the character to the next level in terms of creepiness. Before then as I recollect he basically lived an epicurean lifestyle, using his powers for fine dining, wining and seducing women. He became more sadistic under Bendis.

he was also originally a daredevil villain if I recollect, with DD's supersenses enabling him to overcome the mind-control powers at times. Bendis kind of retconned Purple Man into being Jessica Jones arch-enemy and in turn gave Luke Cage major motivation for hating Purple Man.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    That was a variation on the 80's graphic novel Emperor Doom. Doom took over the world by capturing, controlling, and magnifying Purple Man's powers. The role of Vision was done by Wonder Man instead and Doom had all AI's neutralized as Purple Man's powers wouldn't have any effect on them. IIRC, ultimately Doom gave it all up because despite being a benevolent despot and doing much good, he quite literally got bored.
    That's something a lot of villains probably don't think about when they decide the want to rule the world.

If you actually end up succeeding it really becomes a desk job.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That's something a lot of villains probably don't think about when they decide the want to rule the world.

If you actually end up succeeding it really becomes a desk job.
    Have you ever read EMPIRE? It's a great indie comic with that premise from Mark Waid and Barry Kitson.

Spectacular Member

So, what's a good comic to see purple man in? I like dark comics like watchmen and stuff.