Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Mike Carey's X-Men

What's the general consensus on this? I missed pretty much everything from House of M to Schism so I've been catching up on things. I've just read Supernovas- thoughts?

New JerZ. You KNOW something! Tell me what you know!

Quote Originally Posted by GallowGlass View Post
    What's the general consensus on this? I missed pretty much everything from House of M to Schism so I've been catching up on things. I've just read Supernovas- thoughts?
    One of the best runs ever on the series. The guy utilized characters that other writers typicaly ignored and showed how amzing they could be. Turned Rogue back into the mega star she was always destined to be.

By far, up there with the best Claremont.

If I had to list my fave franchise runs, it would be Claremont's initial 17 year run, followed by Morrison's New X-Men then Carey's X-Men & Legacy then Gillen's Uncanny. Awesome stories.
    Author of X-Forums.

Follow Goddess on Instagram.

After messiah complex at some point it becomes nothing but rouge.

Age of X was a cool story.

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post

Heck, Carey made Rogue sleep through 90+ % of the Messiah Complex!

Age of X was great. The rest wasn't so good except Supernovas.

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post

Exactly. It was awesome!! Mike Carey's run on X-Men and Legacy was one of the best.

Mike Carey + Chris Bachalo + Rogue = Perfection

We need Mike Carey to write Rogue's return to team X!!!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

One of the best runs of the title. I would place it second to Claremont's run for character development. Wish he would have stayed on much longer.

Ultimate Member

Carey's run became a show about how much he LOVED Magneto and Rogue together, aside from turning Rogue into an idiotic love struck schoolgirl, Gambit into wallpaper...then when people brought up the problems with Rogue and Magneto as a couple Carey basically stuck his tongue out at them and said that he's the writer so he can do whatever he wants...

Incredible Member

I liked it, just like I liked every writer's run before him. There were bad stories, sometimes terrible characterizations but there were also some pretty amazing stuff. I can pretty much say this about every writer to have had a lengthy period of time writing the X-Men.

Amazing Member

One of the best X-runs in my opinion. I recently read it start to finish on MU and enjoyed it. It had more ups than downs.

The X-runs that stand out in my mind are Claremont, Morrison, Whedon, PAD's X-Factor and Carey. The rest are pretty much ordinary at best for the most part. Joe Casey's run on Uncanny had promise but didn't last long enough.

It was good. Some parts were better than others. The book kinda became a rotating X-Kid spotlight with Rogue (and sometimes Magneto) as the chaperons. It changed back to a semi-team book during AoX but it started to lose it's luster around Legion's Lost and the 5 Miles South of the Universe arc, but even then it was still a decent read.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Carey's run became a show about how much he LOVED Magneto and Rogue together, aside from turning Rogue into an idiotic love struck schoolgirl, Gambit into wallpaper...then when people brought up the problems with Rogue and Magneto as a couple Carey basically stuck his tongue out at them and said that he's the writer so he can do whatever he wants...
    literally none of that happened at all.

Carey run was excellent. I wish he came back to write the all female xmen team,

I absolutely loved loved loved Carey's run from Supernovas to Messiah CompleX. So good! Supernovas in particular was excellent. And I really loved Blinded By the Light as well!

Incredible Member

One thing that stuck out to me during Supernovas was Carey had a lot of characters refer to god. Really stuck out with Cable, as he's the messiah of a future religion and , its been awhile, but I thought the Askani worshipped the bright lady? Emma also had a line that was basically chewing out Xavier for being a robot plantation owner and saying only god's allowed to do horrible things, then change his mind. Seems like weird logic but whatever.

Liked Supernovas alot despite those minor gripes that just seems like unused lines pertaining to religion from his Lucifer series. Messiah Complex was great, really surprised how many fans were opposed to the kill baby Hitler argument, which was essentially Bishops motivation through that. The Sinister/ Broken Xavier arc directly afterwards was really good, the arc where Rogue regains full control of her abilities was just okay, hurt mostly by inconsistent art and an overdose of nostalgia, but he took Danger, maybe the worst Whedon X creation and elevated the character. Kinda lost interest around this point, picked up an issue that was just Rogue trying on people's powers like outfits and consoling some newish mutant named Paras, purple dude with weird magic body armor, very meh issue.

Another issue is that Carey seemed very hamstrung by editorial through most of his run. Cable wasn't allowed to keep his mumadrai, Northstar and Aurora dissappear after being established very well, its taken from a teambook to an anthology series. But maybe that's the way he wanted it

BANNED

Second all time IMO only to Claremont.