Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Carey's Necrosha installment was the SH!T! Fun, fun, fun, from start to finish. The man really gets the voices of the characters he picks. The tension between Paige and Betsy, the cattiness of Trance, the bizarro speak of Blindfold, and Nighcrawler's sarcasm? Sensational.
    Paired with Clay Mann's pencils? Heaven.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elgrey View Post
    No, I'm sure you're right and he'd just thwap them:

Magneto: Stop your wretched bickering, you noisome brats!
    Logan: I'm older than you!
    Magneto: Charles and I never behaved like this!
    Scott: Your stupid squabbling created Onslaught!

Magneto hits them both with random motorcycles until they agree that Erik and Charles resolved their differences in a mature and responsible fashion.

And I don't want to think about what kind of emo brooding mopey teenager from hell Scott and Logan would create out of their psychic backwash.
    LoL we are lucky neither Scott or Logan are telepaths.

Logan: I'm older than you!
    Magneto: Then act your age!
    Cyclops: Onslaught...
    Magneto: Shup up Boy

really this writes itself XD

LOL! Love that image! Magneto should have stuck around at the mansion so that Charles could have threatened the kids with him. "We'll see what your uncle Erik has to say about this when he gets back from destroying that Sentinel factory!"
    scary uncle Magneto is very much canon IMO

loa11.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout
    The thing is his "excessive focus on Rogue" was the book's direction. Editorial wanted it to be a solo book, so he chose Rogue. People are acting like he went out of his way to take all the focus off all the X-characters to focus on Rogue. The book was supposed to focus on Rogue.
    Agreed with this, X-men Legacy was made to explore solo characters, first Charles, then Rogue and then Legion with work from both Carey and SI Espurrier.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    The thing is his "excessive focus on Rogue" was the book's direction. Editorial wanted it to be a solo book, so he chose Rogue. People are acting like he went out of his way to take all the focus off all the X-characters to focus on Rogue. The book was supposed to focus on Rogue.
    Yeah, even when Gage tried to make it more of a team-type book, he got reeled in a bit. I can understand why they wanted to maintain the book's focus, but I'm still annoyed that it cost us a team consisting of Rogue, Frenzy, Cannonball, Gambit, and Chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    And it is hurting that Joanna was one more woman broken at the altar of Cyclops.
    I felt so bad for Frenzy. Poor thing -- catching Cyke on one of the five days out of the year he's into being faithful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Carey's Necrosha installment was the SH!T! Fun, fun, fun, from start to finish. The man really gets the voices of the characters he picks. The tension between Paige and Betsy, the cattiness of Trance, the bizarro speak of Blindfold, and Nighcrawler's sarcasm? Sensational.
    Paired with Clay Mann's pencils? Heaven.
    Possibly relevant to the interests of the thread: Age of X and Necrosha are both deeply discounted at Comixology right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Yeah, even when Gage tried to make it more of a team-type book, he got reeled in a bit. I can understand why they wanted to maintain the book's focus, but I'm still annoyed that it cost us a team consisting of Rogue, Frenzy, Cannonball, Gambit, and Chamber.
    Right. As much as I love Rogue, and if Carey wants to write a book called Rogue, let's do it, but I would have preferred him on a team. With that said, however, that isn't what editorial wanted, so unless you hate the idea of Rogue having spotlight over someone else, then you're complaining for no reason, and if it's the former, you're just bitter.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

I ... don't like Carey's run. I found it kinda dull. :/
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Was Mike Carey the second longest writer for the X-Men comics after Claremont? Or was that Lobdell or Stan Lee?

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    I ... don't like Carey's run. I found it kinda dull. :/

Really? Do you mind telling me why you were unimpressed?

Right. As much as I love Rogue, and if Carey wants to write a book called Rogue, let's do it, but I would have preferred him on a team. With that said, however, that isn't what editorial wanted, so unless you hate the idea of Rogue having spotlight over someone else, then you're complaining for no reason, and if it's the former, you're just bitter.
    I think Carey was the bitter one for leaving after he offended a large number of fans that critiqued his writing choices. He squandered his good will by focusing on his pet characters instead of doing what he did best, writing a large cast of characters, both popular and obscure.

I also doubt, editorial would be so ignorant to think with only two proper X-men books at that time, it would be okay for Carey to make Legacy a solo book for someone like Rogue, when so many other characters were being marginalized on the main X-men book, Uncanny. But where Fraction had too many character on his plate to properly serve, Mike Carey didn't have enough. He should have split the difference and given focus to those New X-men and more suitable mentors, like the Professor who was saved from death only to go into limbo afterwards.

In hindsight I think Carey was far to enamored with the reformed villains of the X-men then really continuing a legacy of the heroic X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkholder View Post
    I also doubt, editorial would be so ignorant to think with only two proper X-men books at that time, it would be okay for Carey to make Legacy a solo book for someone like Rogue, when so many other characters were being marginalized on the main X-men book, Uncanny.
    This would be the same editorial that thinks people just can't ever get enough Wolverine and decided that the next Legacy solo should feature best-selling fan-favorite David Haller?
    Last edited by Anduinel; 06-09-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Both the editors and Carey said in interviews that is was an editorial decision to make Legacy a solo book. Alonso wanted each book to have a clear-cut direction that distinguished it from the other books.

BANNED

It wasn't Anna Marie's fault the book sucked. It just started to be a drag when she was the focus, Carey and Gage both. Gage's was the worst. It was random adventures with Rogue somewhere in there culminating into one final bid of desperation homaging a box office flop. I lay the blame on marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    This would be the same editorial that thinks people just can't ever get enough Wolverine and decided that the Legacy solo should feature best-selling fan-favorite David Haller?
    If the Professor had been the focus than Legacy would have made sense. And the last incarnation with Legion might have lasted longer.

Both the editors and Carey said in interviews that is was an editorial decision to make Legacy a solo book. Alonso wanted each book to have a clear-cut direction that distinguished it from the other books.
    So bare with with me and this analogy. Carey was given grapes and instead of making them into wine, made vinegar.
    Last edited by Darkholder; 06-09-2014 at 10:35 AM.

BANNED

My guess is someone was imposing mandates. Like "Twilight sells, make it close to Twillight. " and "John Carter is going to be a big movie, make it close to that. The middle of AvsX is the perfect time for this story." At least Carey was keeping it rather on topic. Gage was just whatever. It was practically an Avengers book with him.

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    My guess is someone was imposing mandates. Like "Twilight sells, make it close to Twillight. " and "John Carter is going to be a big movie, make it close to that. The middle of AvsX is the perfect time for this story." At least Carey was keeping it rather on topic. Gage was just whatever. It was practically an Avengers book with him.
    I would hate it if Twilight was the reason for such bad X-stories but I would not be suprised. It makes some kind of sense now, with all the love triangle stuff, forbidden love, and inferior heroines, and the Adjectiveless X-men with a vampire Jubilee. Did they think they would win female readers with those themes. Have they learn nothing from the Storm x BlackPanther marriage!?

If something's supposed to be bad, that doesn't make it any better...

The book focused on team adventures for ~200 issues. Suddenly making the title into a solo-centric snooze-fest is a point for criticism, even if it was demanded from the higher-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    If something's supposed to be bad, that doesn't make it any better...

The book focused on team adventures for ~200 issues. Suddenly making the title into a solo-centric snooze-fest is a point for criticism, even if it was demanded from the higher-ups.
    Then why point at just Rogue? For two years before her it was Xavier centric. After her it was David centric. So this whole loved it until pet Rogue stole the spotlight just sounds like Rogue haters whining that she got a solo. :-p

Also, this was the ONLY book Rogue was in. It's not like Wolvie, Cyke, Emma, Kitty etc who are in all the books, crossover, events... She was only featured in her own solo series.