Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Question Advise me on the next comic serie I can binge read

Hey all,

I'm brand new here and have come to seek your help. I'm looking for a comic serie I can binge read, preferably a finished one with an ending. To give you an idea about my taste, I've enjoyed Y: The Last Man, Preacher, The Sandman, 100 Bullets and Hellblazer. I'm currently reading the Walking Dead but am all caught up with the latest issue. I'm not much into superheroes.

What would you advise?

Thanks for your time!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

You might like "Midnight Nation" by J. Michael Straczynski. It is the story of an LA cop that has his soul taken from him and has to cross the country to get it back. It was a 12 issue mini series.

Another one is "Crimson" by Brian Augustyn and Humberto Ramos. It ran 24 issues and dealt with a young guy names Alex Elder who get attacked by vampires and gains their powers. It has Vamps, Wearwolves, Angels, and Dragons, and all sorts of other supernatural and biblical things.

If your liked Sandman then you really should give "Lucifer" a read too. It ran 75 issues and was written by Mike Carey from start to finish.

BANNED

Judging by what you've read so far, you have to get Sweet Tooth. Dark apocalyptic fantasy with heart. You won't regret it.

Here are 3 VERY good series, that I'm enjoying, and all have less than 24 issues at the moment:

The Bunker by Joshua Hale Fialkov (I, VAMPIRE; ULTIMATES) and Joe Infurnari (MARATHON) (Oni Press)

Spoiler free Plot via Wiki: The world population is dying, and those responsible send a bunker back in time to warn their younger selves, in order to prevent it.

Trees by Warren Ellis (Image Comics)

Spoiler free Plot via Wiki: Trees is a science fiction comic book. The narrative begins ten years after the arrival of massive and silent alien presences who stand on the surface of the earth like the "Trees" of the title, not moving and seeming to take no account of human life and society.

and:

The Woods, by James Tynion IV (Boom! comics)

Spoiler free Plot via Wiki:On October 16, 2013, 437 students, 52 teachers, and 24 additional staff from Bay Point Preparatory High School in suburban Milwaukee, WI vanished without a trace. Countless light years away, far outside the bounds of the charted universe, 513 people find themselves in the middle of an ancient, primordial wilderness. Where are they? Why are they there? The answers will prove stranger than anyone could possibly imagine.

A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

Sixth Gun by Cullen Bunn has been pretty great. There's 47 issues so far collected in 8 volumes, and I believe the story has been planned for around 50 issues.

All-New Member

Thank you a lot! Some very interesting titles.

Dave Sim's Cerebus should offer some good long binge reading.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
    Sixth Gun by Cullen Bunn has been pretty great. There's 47 issues so far collected in 8 volumes, and I believe the story has been planned for around 50 issues.
    This. Also, if you have any crime noir interest at all, Brubaker's Criminal is awesome. Joe Hill's Locke&Key series is great also, it's finished and there are 6 volumes to consume.
    Last edited by Detox; 08-03-2015 at 12:39 PM.

BANNED

Incredible Hercules.

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    This. Also, if you have any crime noir interest at all, Brubaker's Criminal is awesome. Joe Hill's Locke&Key series is great also, it's finished and there are 6 volumes to consume.
    Criminal is another one of my all time favorite series and is almost impossible to not binge-read.

Saga would probably be up your alley.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Adventures of TinTin.
    Asterix.

And just to add a Superhero to the mix (I read your full opening post before making this post of mine):
    All Star Superman.

Welcome to the boards
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Invincible Member

Fatale

Planetary ( it's actually not superheroes, but it is about genre deconstruction)

Invincible Member

Ouch! Double Post

The Authority. A very adult take on the idea of superhero team books that satirizes the genre. One who isn't too hot on traditional takes might enjoy the hyper-violent and over the top nature of the storytelling. It has fun twists that play on your expectations (for example, the Batman and Superman analog characters are gay lovers) and the art from Bryan Hitch and Frank Quitely is also quite amazing.

The previous poster had recommended Planetary, which is a companion title of sorts to Authority, both being created by Warren Ellis and taking place in the same universe. The concept of "the bleed" between alternate realities was a conceit originally introduced in Authority by Ellis, who then took to explore more of it with a different set of characters in Planetary. The idea was so well liked that when the Wildstorm imprint releasing these books was purchased by DC, it was incorporated for the first time into the main DC universe in Grant Morrison's Final Crisis, and is now the official separator of worlds as shown on the Multiversity map. Fun, sci-fi heavy hijinks tend to ensue when world-hopping.