Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Great review! And spot on on all counts.

Quote Originally Posted by maija View Post
    Great review! And spot on on all counts.
    Thanks. It's easy to review a good book though.

All-New Member

Issue 2 was a blast, so lovecraft! Tyler Crook is definitely my favourite of the post-Davis BPRD artists and seeing him do Victorian settings is a real treat! Nice theme emerging in the conflict between tradition/industrialisation, right on the nose for the era as well! I live in an area of Sheffield called Hallam, even went to Hallam university. Glad we don't have any eels here.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas UK View Post
    Issue 2 was a blast, so lovecraft! Tyler Crook is definitely my favourite of the post-Davis BPRD artists and seeing him do Victorian settings is a real treat! Nice theme emerging in the conflict between tradition/industrialisation, right on the nose for the era as well! I live in an area of Sheffield called Hallam, even went to Hallam university. Glad we don't have any eels here.
    Agreed! Though I can't speak for the Hallam comparison, never having been to the UK! The setting and period do feel genuine though.

Little bits are beginning to fall into place, like the reversed 'a's. Now I'm wondering if the distortion in the first issue wasn't eel (or some incorporeal eel entity) POV. UnlandVision!

Dave Stewart's colouring is nearly a character unto itself. It's a wonderful palette that evokes old photographs, sickly pallour, and corpse lights.
    Last edited by maija; 07-21-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maija View Post
    Now I'm wondering if the distortion in the first issue wasn't eel (or some incorporeal eel entity) POV. UnlandVision!
    It seemed to me in retrospect that those issue 1 scenes were looking from a river. They're all low angle panels, and there's even part of a bridge visible in one.

...from Amazon:

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    It seemed to me in retrospect that those issue 1 scenes were looking from a river. They're all low angle panels, and there's even part of a bridge visible in one.
    Definitely makes much more sense with the second issue…

That is a gorgeous Mignola cover.

The Claw of Justice!

Issue #3 was not as good as the other two. I felt like very little progress was made in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    Issue #3 was not as good as the other two. I felt like very little progress was made in the story.
    I liked issue #3 . . . it may not have had as much forward motion, but it did confirm some of the things going wrong in Poole House and the town in general.

This series has been my first exposure to Sir Edward, and I'm definitely enjoying it.

All-New Member

Issue #3 has fast become my favourite comic of all time! Why? Because my first 'fan' letter got printed in the back, describing the sites of folkloric interest on the way to my comic shop but written in the tone of Victorian moral panic!

I'm so chuffed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas UK View Post
    Issue #3 has fast become my favourite comic of all time! Why? Because my first 'fan' letter got printed in the back, describing the sites of folkloric interest on the way to my comic shop but written in the tone of Victorian moral panic!

I'm so chuffed!
    That was you? That was a great letter. Each one seemed like fodder for some kind of Mignolaverse tale.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    That was you? That was a great letter. Each one seemed like fodder for some kind of Mignolaverse tale.
    Ahh cheers mate! I love sharing the folklore and urban legends of my town, seemed like a fun way to do it that was in tune with the series. It was Mignola's love of adapting regional folk stories that attracted me to the Hellboy continuity in the first place!

Really enjoying this series, I hope Kim and Maura come back for more Witchfinder, I especially love the archaic dialect.

But did anyone else notice this from #4's Hellmail? - "Next month we wrap it up with a huge climax and a postscript better than Howard the Duck showing up in Guardians..."
    Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?