Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member InsanityIsTrueSanity's Avatar

Default Has Superman stopped someone from committing suicide?

Hi all! I'm curious, I just finished reading All-Star Superman and there is a part where Superman convinces a teenage girl who thought she was rejected by her own doctor from jumping off a building. I thought it was a nice moment. I'm curious though, has there been any other comics where Superman saved someone from committing suicide. It seems like something he'd probably encounter on a weekly basis.

PS. No, I'm not depressed.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

A few times, yes. Right now, I can only think of that Grounded issue, but I know there's been other instances.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

All Star Superman (I think?) and Grounded.

BANNED

Grounded is the one I can think of

#InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

#InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Thanks for that Pinsir. I think there should be more scenes like these in the comics. Superman interacting with ordinary civilians.

I would very much like to see a scene like the one in Grounded in Batman v Superman. Maybe his popularity will sky rocket if so. The general audience will see why the world needs Superman... and why his hardcore fans love him.
    Last edited by InsanityIsTrueSanity; 06-01-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Astonishing Member

His "trap" in Justice League: Doom involves him attempting to rescue a suicidal coworker.

I think you have to a little careful with this: yes absolutely, Supes talks people out of suicide all the time.

But we don't need to see it that often for it to be effective. In fact, the less often we see it, the more effective it becomes when it does happen.

So, yes, Superman should continue to talk people out of suicide. But it shouldn't be a regular feature that happens every 6th issue or whatever. Kinda trivializes how serious a problem it is in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    His "trap" in Justice League: Doom involves him attempting to rescue a suicidal coworker.
    Purely speculation, but I felt like that scene was in the movie because a lot of fans gave feedback saying that they wished the corresponding scene was in the All-Star Superman movie.

So, yes, Superman should continue to talk people out of suicide. But it shouldn't be a regular feature that happens every 6th issue or whatever. Kinda trivializes how serious a problem it is in real life.
    Of course. Too much of anything is bad and can get boring. "Oh, there goes Superman saving another depressed teenager."

What I'm saying is, I think a scene like this would make a great scene for the upcoming Batman v Superman to showcase that it's not just the SUPER that defines him. But the little things he does for mankind that touch our hearts.

Retired

As I am a dinosaur, my memories go all the way back to the early '60s. I recall that Superman killed himself (there's been some debate whether it really was suicide, but that was the story at the time). Added to that there was the story going around--I'm not sure if it was a factual news story or just an urban legend--that a little boy just like the rest of us had tied a towel or a blanket around this neck, thought he was Superman, tried to fly and ended up hanging by said towel or blanket. And then when all the teens were taking LSD, there were stories that they thought they could fly like Superman when they were high, and ended up flying off the tops of buildings to their deaths.

If all these legends are true, I'd say Superman has probably taken as many lives as he's saved from self harm.

As I am a dinosaur, my memories go all the way back to the early '60s. I recall that Superman killed himself (there's been some debate whether it really was suicide, but that was the story at the time). Added to that there was the story going around--I'm not sure if it was a factual news story or just an urban legend--that a little boy just like the rest of us had tied a towel or a blanket around this neck, thought he was Superman, tried to fly and ended up hanging by said towel or blanket. And then when all the teens were taking LSD, there were stories that they thought they could fly like Superman when they were high, and ended up flying off the tops of buildings to their deaths.

If all these legends are true, I'd say Superman has probably taken as many lives as he's saved from self harm.
    I may not be a dinosaur but my mother is! She told me when I was younger those stories. Not sure if true or not. But ever since she told me, every time I put on my Superman costume for Halloween (I was Superman for Halloween 3 years in a roll) I avoided the balcony of our apartment so as not to scare my mom, since we lived in the 3rd floor of a 5 story apartment building.

BANNED

I'll add the Adventures of Superman issue right before the Invasion cross-over and a short story from a DC Comics Xmas special.

Last edited by dupersuper; 06-03-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Beautiful page. It was my iPhone lock screen for several months.