Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    As I am a dinosaur, my memories go all the way back to the early '60s. I recall that Superman killed himself (there's been some debate whether it really was suicide, but that was the story at the time). Added to that there was the story going around--I'm not sure if it was a factual news story or just an urban legend--that a little boy just like the rest of us had tied a towel or a blanket around this neck, thought he was Superman, tried to fly and ended up hanging by said towel or blanket. And then when all the teens were taking LSD, there were stories that they thought they could fly like Superman when they were high, and ended up flying off the tops of buildings to their deaths.

If all these legends are true, I'd say Superman has probably taken as many lives as he's saved from self harm.
    You're talking about George Reeves obviously.

Noel Neill and Jack Larson both believe he did kill himself. It is a shame as I think George never really understood just how important he was to so many people. It shows just how human we all are when even Superman doesn't see just how special he is.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 06-04-2014 at 07:13 AM.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

In Superman #70 he saves a man who has jumped off a bridge.

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Astonishing Member

In the Golden Age Superman stopped a washed up pro boxer from committing suicide. But the story went even further showing Superman return the man's confidence back and helping him train to return to the ring.

God I love Golden Age Superman.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    In the Golden Age Superman stopped a washed up pro boxer from committing suicide. But the story went even further showing Superman return the man's confidence back and helping him train to return to the ring.

God I love Golden Age Superman.

Ho yeah, I have that story. That's pretty good yeah.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    You're talking about George Reeves obviously.

Noel Neill and Jack Larson both believe he did kill himself. It is a shame as I think George never really understood just how important he was to so many people. It shows just how human we all are when even Superman doesn't see just how special he is.
    No. Noel Neill said, "I worked with George on the show from 1953 to the end of the run, and we traveled the fair circuit together in 1957 for many weeks, so I knew George well, and he simply was not the depressed, suicidal drunkard that was presented in this film (Hollywoodland). It's a myth that George constantly felt typecast and had some sort of angst about being in the role. Not once did I ever hear George voice discontent about being Superman, and I believe he truly enjoyed his work; and he was too smart to let it guide who he was as a person and as a performer. He had a warm, multifaceted personality. It would have helped to show the real George as he truly was, and not primarily as this unrecognizable figure. He was far better than that, and those of us who truly knew him have said that, but it seems no one is listening. I have no doubt whatsoever that Ben Affleck is probably a good and honorable person. I can see that he tried very hard in the role. But it takes a great actor to portray another great actor, and Ben Affleck is no George Reeves. I think the film is about creating a product that sells tickets. It has little to do with giving George a fair shake. I saw him two days before his death and he talked about a couple of films he was going to be making, taking a tour of Australia, and directing most of the new 1959 episodes. George was enjoying life to the fullest. He was happy and almost gleeful. Further, there are just too many unexplained facets about his death that were never explained, such as the many extra bullet holes. You only hear about the four or five in the floor, but there were many others that were in the walls. I had a friend whose husband was later hired to repair the drywall in George's bedroom. He said the place was literally riddled with bullet holes."
    http://www.supermanhomepage.com/tv/t...ws/noel-neill2
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.