View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Casanova: Acedia #3

2 6.90%
  • Copperhead #9

4 13.79%
  • God Hates Astronauts #10

0 0%
  • Invisible Republic #5

2 6.90%
  • Lazarus #18

9 31.03%
  • Low #8

2 6.90%
  • Manhattan Projects: The Sun Beyond the Stars #2

1 3.45%
  • Rasputin #7

0 0%
  • Sex Criminals #11

2 6.90%
  • Southern Bastards #10

3 10.34%
  • Sparks Nevada: Marshal On Mars #4 (of 4)

1 3.45%
  • Spawn #254

0 0%
  • The Tithe #4

1 3.45%
  • Wayward #10

1 3.45%
  • Other - Material #3 or Mythic #3

1 3.45%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Lazarus got my vote easily, badass issue! SB was entertaining as hell, but Esaw was a little over the top for me.

Lazarus for me. Lots of suspense, some deft humanizing touches, and a nice cliffhanger. Can't wait for the next one!

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Lazarus (runner up), Low (was in contention), Sex Crimz, and COWL (damaged issues last week, so, had to get it this week) were all really good to great reads, but Southern Bastards is on another level. The characters are top notch, the art is beautiful (in an ugly way), and FOOTBALL (can't stress that enough). I knew this was my book of the week by the time I got to the thought box "Soccer". The other 21 preceding pages just put the icing on the cake. These one shot issues have been awesome and I can't wait to meet the guy in the woods next month.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 07-30-2015 at 11:18 AM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Informationgeek, I think it's showing you that Esaw is very simply a dangerous character. And maybe the intention was to show that he is nothing else. Some people are simply just bad people, and those people are dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Southern Bastards #10: Am I the only one who liked Esaw? Not "like" as in he seems like a good person, but the way you can like a villain. He is going to make a great loose-cannon antagonist down the line. And his story with the preacher was hilarious, how the guy was so gung-ho about bringing the Good Word where it was most needed and getting far over his head.
    Couldn't agree more with you guys. This is a fantastic book and Esaw is one nasty bastard! That's coming from someone who isn't even a 'reviewer'!
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    and FOOTBALL (can't stress that enough).
    I think you've managed to sum up why I love this book so much. Being born and bred in England I have no idea what your football culture is like and I have become fascinated with how small Southern towns build their lives around the game. Reading books like Friday Night Lights and watching Undefeated has made me hella interested in American football and the bed-rock of this series does seem to be the game, with the Wetumpka rivalry about to blast into the book.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Look no further. Hawkeye by Fraction with stunning art by the incredible David Aja. A complete masterpiece, guaranteed to take your breath away.
    I already read the comic. I'm kind of indifferent to it.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I already read the comic. I'm kind of indifferent to it.
    Although you may be indifferent you have to see how f***ing refreshing it was in the vast ocean of mediocrity that the two big companies churn out every month. Hawkeye was one of the comics that I shoved in front of a few of my friends and it genuinely got them invested in the medium.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ysemaj View Post
    Although you may be indifferent you have to see how f***ing refreshing it was in the vast ocean of mediocrity that the two big companies churn out every month. Hawkeye was one of the comics that I shoved in front of a few of my friends and it genuinely got them invested in the medium.
    I can see why it was different and be interesting for others, trying to be more like an Indie book,... but it never had that effect for me in the slightest. I started reading Hawkeye's book a little bit after Marvel Now, which is when I started reading more regular Marvel books. So honestly, it never felt refreshing to me and not too long after, a lot of Marvel books started to try copying it and any novelty wore out quickly.

Plus, outside of the novelty of being more Indie-ish and the artwork (though it got gimmicky at times, like the Dog issue), I don't really see what is so great about it.

How you could read Hawkeye and not enjoy it, I will never understand. No matter who published it. It was some of the best comics I've ever read. The dog issue was superb.

Quote Originally Posted by ysemaj View Post
    I think you've managed to sum up why I love this book so much. Being born and bred in England I have no idea what your football culture is like and I have become fascinated with how small Southern towns build their lives around the game. Reading books like Friday Night Lights and watching Undefeated has made me hella interested in American football and the bed-rock of this series does seem to be the game, with the Wetumpka rivalry about to blast into the book.
    That's so great that you got interested in the sport by this comic. You should try to go to the annual game the NFL holds in England if you can. That would probably be a blast for you.

I've been involved in the game since I was 7 years old and when I stopped playing at 18 immediately went into coaching youth football ever since (I'm 34 now), so the game is a huge part of my culture. That was and maybe still is my biggest draw to the book, but the fact that the book is genuinely GREAT comics is icing on the cake.

It is fascinating how some Southern Towns that don't have professional or college (sometimes both) teams replace it with High School football. Some cool football movies you should watch if you're interested:

Invincible
    Varsity Blues
    The Program
    The Longest Yard (Burt Reynolds version)
    The Replacements (lol)
    Friday Night Lights

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Finally got around to reading Copperhead #9, and read Wayward #10 back on Wednesday.

I'd have to say I enjoyed Copperhead a lot more of the two. It was nice seeing Cletus and Floyd again, and the interactions between Ishmael and the other two arties was interesting to read. Clara continues to be a great main protagonist to read in a comic. Great cast of characters overall in this issue. The cliffhanger was great in this issue as well, can't wait for the final issue of Copperhead's second story arc. I kind of wish I was picking up the single issues of Copperhead, but the way the story is set up, it feels like it would be much better read in complete editions. I'll be picking up the trades or waiting to see if a hardcover edition comes out collecting the first ten issues.

As for Wayward, I really would have liked to have seen more focus put on Rori and Shirai over Ayane and Nikaido. I liked the new character, Ohara, and her role in the story arc though. However, the entire role of the spider woman in the red robe was completely rushed and she was hardly in the story at all. Based off the cover art of #10, I thought she would have played a major antagonistic role throughout all five issues of the second story arc. I'm just glad the way the issue ended there was at least some solid conclusion that allows the third story arc to start fresh with all the protagonists together at last.

My vote goes to Copperhead #9 this week.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Voted for Southern Bastards in a week where I only picked up that and Lazarus. Complaints about Esaw not being a compelling character were brushed aside when I read it as the role that religion played in this issue kept me glued from start to finish.

Aaron is just so goddamned good at exploring all the facets of Southern life.

My Pull this week :-

God Hates Astronauts #10 ( 3/5 )

Southern Bastards #10 ( 3/5 )

Casanova: Acedia #3 ( 4/5 )

Copperhead #9 ( 4/5 )

Invisible Republic #5 ( 4/5 )

Low #8 ( 4/5 )

Mythic #3 ( 4/5 )

Rasputin #7 ( 4/5 )

Lazarus #18 ( 5/5 )

My Pick of the week : Lazarus #18

Voted for the Tithe. This series needs more love. Engaging and well drawn.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

This was such a huge week for me, I only finished reading all of my books tonight. I ended up voting for Copperhead. It's such a great book, and I love the direction the current arc is going.

But Invisible Republic deserves a big notable mention. This first arc was fantastic, and the last page of this issue was just an awesome twist.

Southern Bastards was good, but a bit of a step back compared to the previous few issues. Same thing with Low.

I enjoyed Sex Criminals, but it's been so long since the last issue that I felt a bit detached. Hopefully the publishing schedule will be more consistent going forward.