Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by Great O.G.U.F.O.O.L. View Post
    I think Marvel uses the Norse and Greek mythologies more because they already have two established Marvel heroes, Herc and Thor, that come from them. So whenever anyone had to write them it made sense they would draw upon these myths to enrich the characters' personalities, supporting cast and villains. Over at DC they don't have a superhero with ties to Norse mythology but they have one with ties to the Greek myths (Wonder Woman). As a result they never explored Norse mythology as much as Greek mythology there.

I firmly believe that if Lee & Kirby or Ditko had come up with an Egyptian mythological superhero, the marvel universe would have explored Egyptian mythology as much as the Greek and Norse ones.
    Someone at marvel needs to get on that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis@ View Post
    Incredible! Finally he comes back after years in limbo.
    Hercules (Marvel)
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=157
    or
    Hercules (Marvel) - Chronological Listing
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=157

Hercules (Marvel)(2099)
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=82003

Hercules (Marvel)(X-Treme X-Men) - Chronological Listing
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=69771

Hercules (Marvel)(Ultimate)
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=71416

Hercules (Earth-616)/Appearances - Marvel Comics Database
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Her...29/Appearances
    Last edited by mace11; 07-29-2015 at 03:36 PM.

That was a very comprehensive interview however, they forgot to ask how Hercules managed to get his powers back.

Moon knight is a superhero who hosts an egyptian God.

make this a globe traveling Hercules. Also take him into space. Invent some all new villains for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    make this a globe traveling Hercules. Also take him into space. Invent some all new villains for him.
    I thought the new mu was supposed to be more than the world outside your window- spider man can't be the only globe trotting hero; maybe herc got all that out of his system over the millennia. But he definitely needs a rogue's gallery. The quickest turnoff for me would be sending him into space.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    This sounds (and looks ) great. My only gripe is that it's yet another book set in New York. I wish it was set in Europe, but that's a minor complaint as everything else about the concept sounds awesome.
    Oh, I am so IN!! I have been hoping and waiting for a new Hercules book since the end of Incredible Hercules and HERC. Whoo Hoo!!!

And Factor - Abnett says that Herc will travel. His base and some of his adventures will take place in New York, but it won't be the only focus. So I'm all good with this. Yeah, to me Hercules is more of a world hero that can easily travel and have adventures everywhere, unlike Spider-man that works best in NY.

Can't wait!!
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Sounds interesting and Clay Mann's cover is beautiful but I really hate the redesign. The eyepiece, the 90's pouches, the 'futuristic' knee-pads and athletic cup over fatigues pants, the manbun... ugh.

I'd vastly prefer some Greek-inspired armor.
    Last edited by Lutecius; 07-29-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Man, I have to make up my pull list 2 months earlier, and the 15 yet to be announced titles really don't help me, as I've got a budget. I mean, what if they announce Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Black Panther, Silver Surfer, Daken, Machine-Man or something else that I really want after I've sent out my sub list?
    There is 3 to 8 new titles still to go,not 15.

Here is the list so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ne...fferent_Marvel
    Last edited by mace11; 07-29-2015 at 06:15 PM.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

They should have had Clay Mann do the interiors, too. Luke Ross's work on Secret Avengers was... not exactly his best.

Amazing Member

Man, never thought I'd be interested in a Hercules title, yet here I am.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    There is 3 to 8 new titles still to go,not 15.

Here is the list so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ne...fferent_Marvel
    So there are only 8 left since we have 60 as a whole. Huh, somehow I thought we had more to go.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    They should have had Clay Mann do the interiors, too. Luke Ross's work on Secret Avengers was... not exactly his best.
    I'm positive you're in for a surprise. But Mann, the deadlines would take him out sooner or later.

All-New Member

Super excited! Glad to see the big guy get another shot at an ongoing. And Abnett is an easy sell..I do have *some* trepidation though...
    I'm not sure Abnett really knows Herc's Marvel history - Herc actually *WAS* in the original Korvac Saga storyline...

I did always think that Herc is a tough character to provide the proper balance of heroism/humor. Most of the time Marvel tips to the buffoonery side...which turns me off a bit. I mean Herc is the first superhero (like Abnett says - so I like that!) - He's a bad ass. He can go toe to toe with Hulk/Thor etc. etc. What started off as Herc being the party god - a guy who could kick ass and yet still go party on the town slowly became this guy you couldn't count on. That was one of my problems with Chaos War. LOVED the idea of Herc finally reclaiming his herodom and noting that he'd become a bit of a joke...but then he does and he still was a joke.

I really hope Abnett read Tieri's take on him - it was a very cool take as showing that after all these years Herc's had so much shit (like being turned mad by Hera and killing his wife and kids) that his happy go lucky attitude is a bit of a front. It made sense....Tieri started having him reclaim his herodom. I love Pak/Van Lentes book...it was a great read so I can forgive a little bit of regression.

The balance needs to be there...and Abnett DOES sound like he's closer to that. I do think it sounds much like a cross between Incredible Hercules and Herc which is a good thing.

I'm really just glad to see him as I thought Disney might not use him - THIS does seem to make it more likely he might make an appearance in other media...and the great thing is Herc could fit in MANY different ways and not be out of place...He could be in the Thor series, Avengers, he could easily fit in with the GotG. Like someone above said, this pitch could work on Netflix as a series - or he could even appear in Agents of SHIELD.

Easy pull for me

I don't like that he's not wearing a shirt. He's showing far too much skin. Is this something that would be appropriate in today's world? I don't think so. He's going to stop crime wearing nothing but pants, basically?

Real classy, Marvel.