Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by MythicBrawn View Post
    IMO, Lois was acting like she and Clark were in a committed relationship. She's all mad because Jimmy was told before her. They may be friends, but Clark did not feel she was the kind of friend to tell this big secret. He is in no way required to tell her any of his secrets, regardless of what they are. If they were dating, then anger justified. Lois was quick to point that out to Condesa when Condensa called them "love birds". Seeing as they're not dating, she can go kick rocks.
    Lois wasn't suggesting she felt that Clark was required to tell her his secret, just that it hurt that he didn't. As you say, because he didn't tell her one (she) can conclude that he didn't "feel she was the kind of friend to tell this big secret." Learning that that is how your friend feels about you is painful.

Given how their New 52 relationship has played out, I don't blame Lois for her frustration. She and Clark were close as colleagues and friends until she got promoted and he found out she had a casual boyfriend, Jonathan. After that, Clark became more and more distant with her. His starting a new relationship with Diana further put distance between them. Lois demoted herself at work and made attempts to get closer with Clark, but he kept drifting further away. His only stated reason that the audience knew for this was he didn't want to get close to Lois if he wasn't going to be able to tell her his secret, since it would put her in danger, and because he was essentially running away from his problems by quitting his job and rebounding with Wonder Woman (Lobdell's first issue covered this).

So when Clark says he lied to have a normal life and later says on the train in this issue that he's happy to have her as part of his life now, it stings Lois because the implication is he lied to her and kept her at a distance not for anything noble, but because he didn't see her fitting into his normal life yet is pleased to have her know now. He's not making sense to her. His reasons for keeping her in the dark and at a distance come across as selfish and capricious to her rather than something sympathetic. This is where the writing of this issue falters, I believe. It doesn't allow Clark and Lois to have the time or the point of view to fully express the complicated history and feelings at play during this very delicate and important moment.

Making it worse, is the New 52 writers' sporadic and superficial use of Lois most of the time; there's not enough memorable or substantial history for readers and writers to bring to the table to make this moment feel properly developed or earned. It just sort of happens, and both characters aren't given much to say about it. Consequently, readers end up having to project a lot onto the blank canvas that the powers that be have created, causing a wide range of reactions including hating Lois in a way that I don't believe even Yang himself intended to inspire with his writing.

It's just a mess, really, and that's unfortunate.

Fantastic Member

Here is a link to a different interview of Gene yang. http://comicbook.com/2015/07/29/gene...-and-jimmys-i/

Another ‘Leave on the shelf ‘ timewaster from DC. This is the worn-out gimmick of Lois chasing Superman’s secret identity
    attempting to be elevated from low-grade mediocrity to Shakespearean heights without a shred of credibility or justification;

“The mandate that we got when we started was that we were supposed to introduce something big in Superman's life, and having his secret identity outed seemed like a good way to go” says Mr Yang.
    Well now, we can see here what depth of thought went into this; what fundamental soul-searching
    and many hours of insightful research was necessary to reach this dramatic conclusion.

We can see in the books themselves, as published in the most recent decades, a succession of egoist writers brought in to “fix” Superman, a project which doesn’t need any fixing. It has developed as a
    popular icon beyond the comics themselves, beyond the movies and tv series and resides in the public imagination throughout the world from which it cannot now be erased no matter what DC
    does.

Egocentric reflection, introspection, which links everything with the self, as the egoist's most cherished hub of attention, hinders or even interrupts the living and beneficial process of activity.
    It has nothing to contribute to a story like Superman which is fantasy based and functions to engage the reader’s imagination to consider an alternative reality not a simulacrum of the mundane reality everyone lives in on a daily basis.
    No one needs Mr Yang telling them what they know already from everyday experience.

In another interview, Mr Yang declares: “it’s all about information; this story is all about information. It's about whether or not information can be controlled, what information means in the context of relationship and friendship”.
    Really? And so what? If Mr Yang has issues about IT, he is perfectly entitled to raise these in the public sphere as any other citizen can but, certainly not use someone else’s creation as his political platform.

The subjectivity of these published meanderings exposes the fundamental weaknesses of the proposition; the failure to understand the proper function of fantasy literature and the imposition
    of shallow concepts devoid of any coherent philosophy. The subjectivity of an image/concept implies incomplete reflection: an image/concept reflects the properties of something to a greater
    or less degree of approximation. From a philosophical point of view, subjectivity also carries the risk of the negative aspect of being tendentious, biased, exaggerated, purely personal and delusive.
    And in general one cannot achieve true perfection of creative thought in any field without developing the ability to perceive reality from the aesthetic standpoint.
    This important intellectual prism through which people can view the world and everything that goes beyond the empirical description of facts
    and formulae with an imaginative perspective seems totally absent from the current mantras of 1700 Broadway.

The S&S Superman has, sadly, departed from the pages of DC books to be substituted by a slew of derivative imposters incapable of holding reader interest for any period longer than a quick glance
    at the local CBS; since everyone knows that the latest imposter will be replaced with another within a few months, following the now established pattern.
    DC seems to think that fans will accept anything, however trite or shallow, once it carries the Superman title on the cover.

http://postimg.org/image/nfx2f7kq5/

Last edited by planetman; 08-04-2015 at 01:37 PM.
    ""The most boring conversation is the one where everyone agrees"

Issue 41 was good but 42 was a bit disappointing ... Yang has some big shoes to fill after Geoff Johns run ... Not sure I like Hordr_Root, seems a bit goofy, especially the name -- they may have been better off just bringing back The Machinist. It's still early days, but I think after reading issue 40 I wouldn't have minded if JR Jr just continued as both writer and artist

All-New Member

Lois wasn't suggesting she felt that Clark was required to tell her his secret, just that it hurt that he didn't. As you say, because he didn't tell her one (she) can conclude that he didn't "feel she was the kind of friend to tell this big secret." Learning that that is how your friend feels about you is painful.
    She definitely felt that he should have told her. In her mind, and she said it, Clark told Jimmy and not her. She felt entitled since, in her mind, she is more connected than Jimmy. She isn't and it was a rude awakening for her. Regardless, she can be mad all she wants. It is Clark's secret to tell and she just didn't rate. Unlike pre-Nu52 DC when it seemed Clark and Lois were joined at the hip, these two have significant space between them. And, Clark not telling her makes perfect sense.

She definitely felt that he should have told her. In her mind, and she said it, Clark told Jimmy and not her. She felt entitled since, in her mind, she is more connected than Jimmy. She isn't and it was a rude awakening for her. Regardless, she can be mad all she wants. It is Clark's secret to tell and she just didn't rate. Unlike pre-Nu52 DC when it seemed Clark and Lois were joined at the hip, these two have significant space between them. And, Clark not telling her makes perfect sense.
    I disagree. You are twisting the truth of her reaction. She is only saying that it hurt to discover that someone she felt thought of her as a friend didn't actually feel that way about her. For example, a person can feel hurt that they get turned down for an offer for a date or even a job because they maybe didn't think you were good enough without thinking that those people who rejected you were obligated to embrace you. It's also important to remember that Clark did want to tell Lois, as we discovered in Superman # 26:

Clark: I was going to tell you on my own someday.
    Lois: I know that. I can see it in your heart. I can see it in your mind.

Based on what I've seen, sometimes people open up to people they have less of a connection with because they think it will be less complicated. On Smallville, for instance, Clark always felt more comfortable opening up to his best friend Chloe Sullivan than he was with the two women he was in love with: Lana and Lois. As Chloe said once in a conversation with Lana:

Chloe: Yeah. Let's face it, Lana. Clark has more issues than "Rolling Stone." Look, I know what I did was wrong, and as much as I hate to admit it, it felt really good being the person he confided in again.
    Lana: Clark's always been more comfortable talking to you.
    Chloe: It's because he's not in love with me.

An even more apt example comes from the Smallville episode "Infamous" in which Lois and Clark discuss this issue head on in a plot that is not all that different (see parallels here) from Yang's Truth arc:

Lois: Some people spend their entire lives looking for a way to stand out ... to be a person that anybody would call special. When you first told me who you were ... my thought was, "anyone but Clark." And not because of the alien thing. I ... I've known enough guys to know that you can be born on terra firma and be light-years from normal.
    Clark: Lois, you don't have to explain. I get it.
    Lois: No, you don't. How can someone with x-ray vision be so blind? I've been down the hero road before. And every time, I made a giant u-turn. But this ... this was different.
    Clark: And this time, it will be different, Lois. When I do this, no one's gonna remember who I am.
    Lois: And when you hit your reset button ... you're not gonna tell me your secret, are you?
    Clark: I'm sorry.
    Lois: That's okay. Why should I think I'm special? Clark ... I understand.
    Clark: Lois, you don't understand. It's because you are special.

All-New Member

Don't really care about Smallville, since I didn't watch that show. Also, I'm not twisting anything. Simply stated, she's upset that Clark didn't tell her. And, it hurts even more because he told Jimmy and not her. She believes she had a right to be told as much as Jimmy. If that isn't correct, then I am misinterpreting what I read.

Don't really care about Smallville, since I didn't watch that show. Also, I'm not twisting anything. Simply stated, she's upset that Clark didn't tell her. And, it hurts even more because he told Jimmy and not her. She believes she had a right to be told as much as Jimmy. If that isn't correct, then I am misinterpreting what I read.
    Yes, Lois is upset. She's upset because she thought Clark was her best friend and that he trusted her. She's not upset because she felt she was owed anything. My college friends are not obligated to invite me to their weddings, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't upset me if one of them didn't think to include me when other friends were invited. My colleagues are not obligated to trust every decision I make at work, but it would hurt if there was a situation in which trust was not reciprocated.