Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Thoughts on Lee Lambert's role?

Lee Lambert, the firefighting straight talking new addition to Superman comics has my attention. Not only does she sport the famous/infamous LL, but she's also been set up as a major player in Pak's run.

So far her relationship with Superman is pretty interesting. She respects Superman for all of the good he's done for her neighborhood, but she is also protective of said neighborhood and sees that trouble is following the man of steel.

She seems to share quite a few qualities with Superman. For one, she's a firefighter so she out there saving lives every day. She has a very blue collar feel to her. She seems to be the resident Superwoman in her neighborhood. A lot of people seem to know he and she knows them back, and she seems to be able to take charge and lead the neighborhood when needed.

So my question is what do ya'll think Pak, Kuder, and the crew have in store for her in the Superman world? New love interest for new Superman? New friend or foe? Ideological rival? I'm genuinely excited for her and whatever she'll be doing. What about ya'll?

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Lee Lambert, the firefighting straight talking new addition to Superman comics has my attention. Not only does she sport the famous/infamous LL, but she's also been set up as a major player in Pak's run.

So far her relationship with Superman is pretty interesting. She respects Superman for all of the good he's done for her neighborhood, but she is also protective of said neighborhood and sees that trouble is following the man of steel.

She seems to share quite a few qualities with Superman. For one, she's a firefighter so she out there saving lives every day. She has a very blue collar feel to her. She seems to be the resident Superwoman in her neighborhood. A lot of people seem to know he and she knows them back, and she seems to be able to take charge and lead the neighborhood when needed.

So my question is what do ya'll think Pak, Kuder, and the crew have in store for her in the Superman world? New love interest for new Superman? New friend or foe? Ideological rival? I'm genuinely excited for her and whatever she'll be doing. What about ya'll?
    Of course. The LL never lies.
    On a more serious note, we obviously don't have much to work with for now, but I think she's being set up as a representation of human heroism-as she's saving lives just like Superman- and as somewhat of a representative of Kentville in general. If you ask me, Pak created her because he wanted a new member of the supporting cast, someone who never interacted with Clark when he had his dual identity and who represented this whole new "man of the people" interpretation of the character. As such, her relationship with the Man of Steel is probably going to evolve, and she will most likely go from mostly appreciative but worried about the possible consequences of his presence, to a supporter and a friend (the similarities you mentionned are probably going to play their part in their interactions).
    So far, I like her, and I think she has potential. It's a bit soon to really judge her worth, but we'll see where this goes soon enough.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Of course. The LL never lies.
    Hey man, I think it's possible. I wouldn't mind from what I've seen of her

I think she's being set up as a representation of human heroism-as she's saving lives just like Superman- and as somewhat of a representative of Kentville in general.
    Couldn't agree more, and so far she's doing it very well.

If you ask me, Pak created her because he wanted a new member of the supporting cast, someone who never interacted with Clark when he had his dual identity and who represented this whole new "man of the people" interpretation of the character.
    That's actually quite interesting. She's meeting Clark and Superman for the very first time and she just so happens to be meeting them when the wall between them has been knocked down. It's a very interesting time to introduce a new supporting character, and an LL at that.

So far, I like her, and I think she has potential. It's a bit soon to really judge her worth, but we'll see where this goes soon enough.
    Yeah that's the thing we've got just an issue and a preview to go on (and Pak's words in interviews). But that's why I decided to make this topic now so some speculation can be made just before the issue comes out.

Half of me wants to see her as this rival (in an interesting physical sense due to her firefighting) to Clark in some ways. If the razing of Kentville goes through then she may have some words for Clark. I think their similarities may find them on either side of friend or rival.

But regardless I think it's a fantastic idea making her since in using her it gives Superman a more tangible touchstone to his block and people outside the DP (a place that may as well be Olympus with how disconnected it is from the common working of the city). Lambert has a lot of potential.

Hey man, I think it's possible. I wouldn't mind from what I've seen of her
    I wouldn't mind either, but I doubt it's going to happen. The SM/WW thing is in the way, and it's not something I think Pak has power over. Now, maybe DC's tired of the idea and will make it end, letting Pak bring his LL character in the romantic spotlight, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Also, I'm not sure it would be good for the character, as it would bring her lots of hate that would have nothing to do with her.

Couldn't agree more, and so far she's doing it very well.
    I think so, yes. As you said, she's a bit of a blue collar, no nonsense kinda woman. Just what you need to speak for a urban community.

That's actually quite interesting. She's meeting Clark and Superman for the very first time and she just so happens to be meeting them when the wall between them has been knocked down. It's a very interesting time to introduce a new supporting character, and an LL at that.
    Yep. In a way, while traditionnal Superman cast members only interact with one side at a time, she gets the chance to interact with the whole deal. That's kind of a new situation, and mixing that with people who knew before helps making a good supporting cast.

Half of me wants to see her as this rival (in an interesting physical sense due to her firefighting) to Clark in some ways. If the razing of Kentville goes through then she may have some words for Clark. I think their similarities may find them on either side of friend or rival.
    They better not raze Kentville. C'me one, Clark, just beat that Shadow Monster and go save your home.
    I think it'll be a typical case of "start off as somewhat ambiguous towards him, but warms up to him as time goes on". Classic, but efficient. I doubt she'll be a rival in the usual sense of the word though.

But regardless I think it's a fantastic idea making her since in using her it gives Superman a more tangible touchstone to his block and people outside the DP (a place that may as well be Olympus with how disconnected it is from the common working of the city). Lambert has a lot of potential.
    Heh. That's kinda true. The Planet is pretty much its own world by now, just as much intricated in "Superman logic" as the Fortress or Smallville. Beyond just Lambert, that's why I'm excited with the idea of Kentville. Having places like that help giving an identity to Metropolis, something it always sort of lacked compared to....y'know....other cities....that I wn't name.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    I wouldn't mind either, but I doubt it's going to happen. The SM/WW thing is in the way, and it's not something I think Pak has power over. Now, maybe DC's tired of the idea and will make it end, letting Pak bring his LL character in the romantic spotlight, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Also, I'm not sure it would be good for the character, as it would bring her lots of hate that would have nothing to do with her.
    If the Superman and Wonder Woman think wraps and they're looking for a new love interest then Lee has my vote so far. But ultimately I'd rather she stand on her own for a while before talk like that even come up. Really flesh her out and add little flourishes that make us like her in the same way we enjoy Jim Gordon or Alfred. I don't really care much about what the fans think so long as the story is good. I'm in an enlighten state of Superman fandom right now

Yep. In a way, while traditionnal Superman cast members only interact with one side at a time, she gets the chance to interact with the whole deal. That's kind of a new situation, and mixing that with people who knew before helps making a good supporting cast.
    Yeah, it's even differentiated from a situation like Superman telling someone (like Jimmy) or Superman becoming romantically involved with someone and telling them before or after (like Lois). She is meeting this guy and he is stripped of all shielding from the jump off. It's really quite the unique dynamic.

They better not raze Kentville. C'me one, Clark, just beat that Shadow Monster and go save your home.
    I know what you mean, man. But then again maybe when this is all over Clark, Lee, Jim, and all the other people on the block will pitch in to help rebuild. A scene where Clark is lifting a big bit of rubble and Lee in the thick of it sweating and doing what she can. I think that'd really drive home the blue collar vibe nicely. And it would also be a sort of update to the whole Superman rebuild homes from the golden age. Morrison did it too, but now you've got a little more feeling to it with the idea of naming the place Kentville and Lee being there. The emotional weight would be strong.

Heh. That's kinda true. The Planet is pretty much its own world by now, just as much intricated in "Superman logic" as the Fortress or Smallville. Beyond just Lambert, that's why I'm excited with the idea of Kentville. Having places like that help giving an identity to Metropolis, something it always sort of lacked compared to....y'know....other cities....that I wn't name.
    It's a great step in the right direction and I'm most glad that it's centered around people. Superman is for the people so people should be what draws the reader in and around his world. Each and every face, body type, hair color, race, religion, and walk of life.

It really has been so easy to get lost in his setting (DP, Fortress, farm) It almost becomes like the set of a TV show where it only just plays at having a bigger world. But really it's more like a sitcom shot on a stage. So I'm all for more personality in his city and world.

BANNED

lee lamberth as superman love interest would make me hate her pretty quickly. In my experience characters that start with LL, always serve to bash lois;

the character was made for the sake of diversity, not 100% bad but also not good when writers ignore that lois mother was latina on the one shot.

If the initials are any indication, and they probably are as its obviously deliberate, she'll at least be of importance. In what capacity I can really only see two possibilities. One, she's simply to be a permanent major new supporting character in Superman's mythos, or, maybe less likely but always possible, she'll turn out to be a secret villain in this storyline.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-30-2015 at 08:38 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Lee Lambert may just repeat what happened 10 years ago in Adventures of Superman when another Greg, Greg Rucka, introduced an LL woman of color and public servant (police officer) into the Superman mythos: Lieutenant Lupe Leocadio.

Lee may also be Pak's new "Baka" in that she'll serve a plot purpose in one arc, and then she'll be featured or referenced sporadically.

Well hopefully it's a more lasting and fruitful venture than Lupe. At the very least Lee's entrance wasn't as ridiculous (is this the matrix lol).

And from what I understand Pak has had plans to revisit the underground world and prince Baka for quite some time since his introduction, but plans got shifted around. I have faith that we'll see more of him sooner more than later. But I never expected a constant flow of Baka stories given that he's a prince in an off limits underground society.

This is unlike Lee who Clark would/could see nearly every day in his city. If Clark ends up keeping his place then she'll live on his block no less. So I don't see why we shouldn't see a lot more of her and Kentville in the future (that is, if Truth keeps them intact).

I think she's got a lot of potential.

Well hopefully it's a more lasting and fruitful venture than Lupe. At the very least Lee's entrance wasn't as ridiculous (is this the matrix lol).
    I don't really know what is ridiculous about a cop acting like a cop, and I'm also not sure what can be gained by putting down one character in order to sing the praises of another.

And from what I understand Pak has had plans to revisit the underground world and prince Baka for quite some time since his introduction, but plans got shifted around. I have faith that we'll see more of him sooner more than later. But I never expected a constant flow of Baka stories given that he's a prince in an off limits underground society.
    Plans always get shifted around. The likelihood that Lee will become a regular staple of Superman comics going forward, even just under Pak's pen, is tenuous at best. She's more likely to go the way of Bibbo Bibbowski: Superman loyalist and someone who gives a face to the ordinary citizens of Metropolis but ultimately just wallpaper with the occasional spotlight moment.

This is unlike Lee who Clark would/could see nearly every day in his city. If Clark ends up keeping his place then she'll live on his block no less. So I don't see why we shouldn't see a lot more of her and Kentville in the future (that is, if Truth keeps them intact).
    Unless Clark's anonymity is restored, I can't see a path for him that includes living his daily life anywhere close to a concentrated group of civilians. Anywhere Superman lives is bound to be a target. Moreover, if one of the alleged virtues of an outed Superman is that he can finally be held accountable, then any sort of protected private life is at an end. He's either a loaded gun or magnet for trouble; he'd need to be under constant surveillance. So if it isn't actual danger Clark will bring with him to his neighbors, then it will be a neighborhood monitored in much the same way nuclear weapons are monitored. "Kentville" is pleasant idea, but it's going to be very difficult to sell it as realistically sustainable.

I think she's got a lot of potential.
    I'd love to see that potential realized, but the New 52 has yet to prove that it's capable of nurturing and sustaining anything for long. It runs gimmick to gimmick, and much gets lost in the exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I don't really know what is ridiculous about a cop acting like a cop
    I thought the scene looked ridiculous. Simple as that.

She's more likely to go the way of Bibbo Bibbowski: Superman loyalist and someone who gives a face to the ordinary citizens of Metropolis but ultimately just wallpaper with the occasional spotlight moment.
    Not sure where it says that this has to happen. Don't see why she can't go on to be shown more and do more in the future.

Unless Clark's anonymity is restored, I can't see a path for him that includes living his daily life anywhere close to a concentrated group of civilians. Anywhere Superman lives is bound to be a target.
    We'll have to see how Truth plays out. He may very well end up living two floors above her for all we know. Arguments like this could be made about places like the DP too. The Fantastic Four manage it with their building.

He's either a loaded gun or magnet for trouble; he'd need to be under constant surveillance.
    We'll be exploring that in Truth (next issue actually). This could add more to Lee and Clark's interaction as something more than just cut and dry friends or foes. It could end up building their relationship as two people in a more compelling manner. That "this isn't your home" mentality could come into play very nicely.

So if it isn't actual danger Clark will bring with him to his neighbors, then it will be a neighborhood monitored in much the same way nuclear weapons are monitored. "Kentville" is pleasant idea, but it's going to be very difficult to sell it as realistically sustainable.
    We'll have to see. Maybe more Kentvilles will pop up and it'll foster this sort of neighborhood watch mentality for most of the city through Superman's example? Maybe he'll move? Who really knows. It's almost like how the DP in most past continuities would make it a point to let it be known that Superman is very much associated with them or it's implied that everyone knows how associated with them he is . We found a way for them to get on so I assume could do the same for Kentville if it lives through Truth.

But regardless of how Truth plays it, I'm at least pretty sure that Lee will still be in and around the city. If Clark moves she'll still be there and ready to use just like how Lois, Jim, and all his other supporting cast in the city will be there. It's either a quick fly/few leaps over to where she is and bam, Lee time
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-30-2015 at 10:59 PM.

I don't know, but hopefully she isn't forgotten. Superman kinda needs a supportive cast outside of the Daily Planet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Lee Lambert may just repeat what happened 10 years ago in Adventures of Superman when another Greg, Greg Rucka, introduced an LL woman of color and public servant (police officer) into the Superman mythos: Lieutenant Lupe Leocadio.

Lee may also be Pak's new "Baka" in that she'll serve a plot purpose in one arc, and then she'll be featured or referenced sporadically.
    Pak really thought he was creating the first LL woman of color. I guess Rucka did it first on comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    Pak really thought he was creating the first LL woman of color. I guess Rucka did it first on comics.
    Now when the hell did Pak ever say that? This is just a false statement.

Now when the hell did Pak ever say that? This is just a false statement.
    Did he ever actually say anything about her skin color at all?