Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Yeah, what he said.

BATMAN ARCHIVES reprints stories from DETECTIVE COMICS, while BATMAN: DARK KNIGHT ARCHIVES reprints stories from BATMAN (it is a bit confusing). The Riddler appeared in DETECTIVE COMICS 140 and 142, originally, which is why those stories are reprinted in BATMAN ARCHIVES Vol. 7
    Seems to be unavailable everywhere bar ebay which is charging a fortune for it

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teej View Post
    "Dark Knight, Dark City" by Peter Milligan and Kieron Dwyer from Batman #452-#454 is also really good. One of my favorite Batman stories in fact.
    Dark Knight, Dark City is the Essential Riddler Story in my opinion and probably my favorite Batman story of all time.

The acts Nigma performed was disturbing but its a story I'll never forget.

Astonishing Member

Jeff Parker's opening act of Batman '66 is essential Riddler reading. Bill Finger's original story "The Riddler" is, too.

He's kind of a fuddy-duddy in the late 90s and early 00s, but I always thought Eddie was well used in Loeb's Long Halloween and Dark Victory and When In Rome, too. I wish he'd been more stylish, cold and less mawkish (some of that admittedly could be Sale's depiction of his frowny face).

Paul Dini's "E. Nigma, Consulting Detective" is bloody fantastic.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Matt Wagner and Dave Taylor's Riddler one-shot in the '90s. I believe it's subtitled "The Riddle Factory".

Incredible Member

Are there any good Riddler stories in the Batman Adventures? I could use some more Timm Riddler.
    Well Improbable, there are several!

Batman: Gotham Adventures #11 falls into the continuity of "The New Batman Adventures" or TNBA shows in which Nightwing appears (basically the redesigned final season of Batman: The Animated Series) and tells a terrific story about Riddler trying to appease his need to mess with Batman without committing crimes. Great, great story.

The Batman and Robin Adventures #3 features a Christmas Riddler story by Paul Dini that shows just how smart Riddler really is when it comes to figuring out people's secrets. This one is in the style of the original B:TAS.

Finally Batman Adventures (vol 2) #11 had two great Riddler stories, though they tie into the larger storylines that (sadly short-lived) series tried to explore. But it's great stuff too, and essentially follows up on the events of Gotham Adventures and the TNBA shows.

Check them out!

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Matt Wagner and Dave Taylor's Riddler one-shot in the '90s. I believe it's subtitled "The Riddle Factory".
    The Riddle Factory and Run, Riddler, Run are my two favorite modern Riddler stories.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 10-17-2015 at 08:38 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Well Improbable, there are several!

Batman: Gotham Adventures #11 falls into the continuity of "The New Batman Adventures" or TNBA shows in which Nightwing appears (basically the redesigned final season of Batman: The Animated Series) and tells a terrific story about Riddler trying to appease his need to mess with Batman without committing crimes. Great, great story.

Check them out!
    that was a really fun story. I stumbled across that ages ago-- I was hoping that whole run would get into the trades because I never read a bad issue of that title.

Incredible Member

Well, Gotham Adventures changed hands creatively after issue...fourteen I believe it was. After that, the quality took a bit of a hit. We got stories about mind-controlling breakfast cereal and other rather juveline things. Rule of thumb: if Rick Burchett does the art or Ty Templeton writes, it is good. If Scott Peterson is writing.....eeeeeeeeehhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    "The Riddler," DETECTIVE COMICS 140 (October '48)--Bill Finger, Dick Sprang, Charles Paris.
    "Crime's Puzzle Contest," DETECTIVE COMICS 142 (December '48)--unknown writer, Dick Sprang, Charles Paris.
    "Remarkable Ruse of the Riddler," BATMAN 171 (May '65)--Gardner Fox, Sheldon Moldoff, Joe Giella.
    "The Riddler on the Roof," DETECTIVE COMICS 373 (March '68)--Gardner Fox, Gil Kane, Sid Greene.
    "The Riddler's Prison Puzzle Problem," DETECTIVE COMCS 377 (July '68)--Gardner Fox, Frank Springer, Sid Greene.
    BisonOfCourse.jpg

As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

There's also this:

which, according to http://www.barnesandnoble.com
    BATMAN ARKHAM: THE RIDDLER collects some of the villain's greatest stories by some of the industry's greatest creators, including Scott Snyder (BATMAN), Gardner Fox (JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA), Len Wein (SWAMP THING), Bill Finger (DETECTIVE COMICS), Jim Aparo (THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD), Paul Dini (GOTHAM CITY SIRENS) and many more! Collects DETECTIVE COMICS #140, #142, #377, #822, #837, BATMAN #171, #179, #292, #317, #362, BATMAN: THE RIDDLER #23.2, BRAVE AND THE BOLD #183, JOKERS ASYLUM II: THE RIDDLER #1 and LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT 100 PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #2.
    Cover price = $ 19.99

There were also two long arcs in Legends of the Dark Knight with Riddler in a central role; The Primal Riddle (#109–#111) and Riddle Me That (#185–#189). They are both flawed in their own ways, but also interesting enough to warrant a read through if you can find them.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Well, Gotham Adventures changed hands creatively after issue...fourteen I believe it was. After that, the quality took a bit of a hit. We got stories about mind-controlling breakfast cereal and other rather juveline things. Rule of thumb: if Rick Burchett does the art or Ty Templeton writes, it is good. If Scott Peterson is writing.....eeeeeeeeehhhh.
    Mind-controlling breakfast cereal? sounds like something that would get played for laughs on "Invader Zim". but I'll wager it was less like Zim and more like that episode of BTAS known as... "Critters"

thanks for the warning! ;-)

Professional Beach Hunk Andy_117's Avatar

I was going to suggest my favourite Riddler story, but I realized that Riddler's involvement is actually a reveal, so... not gonna mention that one! Spoilers! Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_117 View Post
    I was going to suggest my favourite Riddler story, but I realized that Riddler's involvement is actually a reveal, so... not gonna mention that one! Spoilers! Boo!
    I'm Sorry to say it, but is the worst Riddler story ever. Chris Sim Explain pretty well why in this article.