Thread: DC Bombshells

Default DC Bombshells

First and foremost, an excellent dose of good fun in an (alternate) period piece. Not a huge expert on dress and style of the times, so if there were any deficiencies to the artist's portrayal of the period, I sure didn't spot them... and you've got to love Batwoman actually using a baseball bat to fight crime.

However, I did find it interesting that this is definitely an alternate history in more ways than one. Not only is it a superhero universe with a Gotham City, not only is it alternate to the main DCU in terms of period and (as the preview revealed) Batwoman saving the Waynes from Joe Chill... but the captions specifically call the year out as 1940 at the same time that there are references to lots of men being gone to serve overseas in the European theatre of war, leading to Rosie the Riveter themed billboards and the women's baseball league and all that. Guess this version of the US didn't need the impetus of Pearl Harbor to decide to enter the conflict directly as opposed to through Lend Lease and similar military aid programs...

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Nope, even did a search for threads on the book and they didn't come up, and they weren't anywhere on the first page. Weird.

The Bombshells are retro reinvention of the main super-heroines of DC Comics, set up to ranges of toys and variant covers. I think DC can say a big thank you to Denis Medri for reinventing Batman and other heroes sauce rockabilly on the web, which probably a major inspiration. But the range Bombshells who received a very positive response, the editor goes into high gear with this series that starts in digital format (but soon will arrive on paper). The cynics will say it's mercantile but for once could you want in an editor to meet demand? What surprises me most is that since 2011 DC rehashing our ears that it only takes the current hero to a current public, we must turn back to the Golden Age and the JSA ... And here kind of female JSA in the famous context "forbidden".

It is two-Marguerite (Bennett and Wild) that returns to launch this title. By cons we do not wait for an influx of Bombshell heroines. This first arc is clearly focused on the only Batwoman (which in this version is very trendy baseball). As for the script, I fairly shared. There are real good times. Even if it's in a retro backdrop, Marguerite Bennett really gives consistency to the Batwoman / Maggie complicity. So that one can really regrettable that the writer was not responsible for the Batwoman series back when it was still time. With it, it would have given anything. For cons, the "worse", the time management did a little wince fan of history. We are in 1940 and the USA are already committed in the Second World War alongside France and the UK? Although this difference is voluntary, this rewrite seems useless. Just like the reference to Rosie the Riveter, also in 1940. This is about as "historic" a clip of MTV. As against the major asset that makes the nice appearance wins in this series is drawing Marguerite Sauvage, both retro and modern, simple and effective. Wild style is resplendent, expressive, gives expression and tone to the characters. There has to be a suspicion of Straps but even more beautiful and, clearly, the designer is called to great things. She proves it without problem in these pages anyway and DC Comics Bombshells starts vividly through her.
    "my feminism will be intersectional, or will it be bullshit." Kelly Sue Deconnick
    "All this magic stuff needs new terminology because it's not what people are being told it is at all." Grant Morrison

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I've been seeing scans of this series floating around tumblr now for a few months. The first trade is available for sale. I'll buy it soon for sure.

I hope this series continues after "rebirth" its excellent.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

Well, the original run for this series ran from 2015-2017 with 100 issues digitally / 33 print issues.

A second series, Bombshells United, started in 2017 but only lasted for 38 digital issues / 19 print issues.

Me, while I enjoyed the concept, I wasn't thrilled with the writing after a while, and the multiple artists involved were uneven in seeming to depict the era correctly (at least in my eyes).

I personally would love to see DC take another crack at this, but I'd want a different writer on it.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Cool statue of Batgirl and Supergirl.

BGstatueSG.jpg