Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

It's funny, the thing that was going to make or break Truth for me was how they handle Lois. At least that's what I thought going in. Oddly enough, the only thing I didn't have a problem with in this issue was Lois. I found her reaction to be pretty natural. She put the pieces together, was initially a little hurt that Clark didn't confide in her, then put that behind her to be caring and supportive. She showed genuine concern for Clark at the end of the issue and didn't think twice about going with them on their mission.

Sadly, the rest of the issue was a trainwreck of poor writing. That opening scene was cringe worthy with how bad it was. Clark is trying to keep his secret identity around Lois and talks about not hearing any heartbeats. Then goes into a full on brawl with shadow ninjas, where he smashes them with his bare hands. Then stands there in tattered clothing with the Superman costume fully visible. Still he tries to deny it. Horrible writing. Then we get to the mystery base where Superman could have easily destroyed the super computer with his regular powers, but decides thanks to PIS, that he'll use his flare instead. I guess super speed and limitless strength weren't options when trying to break something. The flare needs to go. It has overstayed its welcome.

Yang's first issue was ok and this one was a big miss for me. If this is what he's bringing to the table, I may wait until he moves on to other books before delving into Superman again. This was on the few times I was really disappointed in a book. Yang actually seems pretty comfortable with Lois as a character. Superman on the other hand, needs a ton of work. I didn't like this issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    Sadly, the rest of the issue was a trainwreck of poor writing. That opening scene was cringe worthy with how bad it was. Clark is trying to keep his secret identity around Lois and talks about not hearing any heartbeats.
    That bit was just to Jimmy - with Lois out of earshot (apparently).

Then goes into a full on brawl with shadow ninjas, where he smashes them with his bare hands. Then stands there in tattered clothing with the Superman costume fully visible.
    This is where he mentions the not hearing the shadow ninjas' heartbeats - plainly and openly

Still he tries to deny it. Horrible writing. Then we get to the mystery base where Superman could have easily destroyed the super computer with his regular powers, but decides thanks to PIS, that he'll use his flare instead. I guess super speed and limitless strength weren't options when trying to break something. The flare needs to go. It has overstayed its welcome.
    Like you said:
    ...a trainwreck of poor writing.
    So much potential.

The wasted potential is the real kicker. When I read Yang's interviews, I really liked the ideas he was talking about. I found his thoughts on the immigrant side of Superman and the changing ideas behind being the "man of tomorrow" to be really intriguing and refreshing. So far, his chapter of Truth just hasn't delivered. I was apprehensive about the all the shake-ups at first, then warmed up to the idea, now I'm not so sure again. Though I'm really enjoying how Pak and Kuder are approaching Truth.

I dunno, I want more too but just two chapters in I think its a little premature to call it wasted potential. I think its getting around to it, just a little slow than we'd like.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I dunno, I want more too but just two chapters in I think its a little premature to call it wasted potential. I think its getting around to it, just a little slow than we'd like.
    Well, I'd argue that this issue feels a bit like Yang has trouble getting the "voice" of the genre down, like he doesn't have the pacing and the action right yet. Unless it's because it's his first ongoing, and he doesn't have the experience in the whole "getting a story into 20 pages".
    The good news about that is, in both cases it's completely possible for him to grow into the genre as he gets more experience (or maybe he won't, how the hell should I know).
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah, how dare have a multi-faceted reaction. What would have been "proper" characterization to you? Her throwing herself into his arms crying for him of the burden he must have held all these years?
    she didn't had a multi-faceted reaction. some fans were dissapointed that whe was just angry at clark. this end up being the worse reveal

Eh, I though Lois' reaction was understandable. As for the book's potential, I think it's too early to say it was wasted, but it's not too early to say it's not living up to said potential.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Does anybody else get the sense of "ho hum" about the reveal? I mean we just recently rebooted from a universe where Superman's secret ID was known by his friends and I was hoping for at least a few more years of build up towards something like this.

Not a bad issue but I don't get any sense of awe from it, which I think it wants you to have.

It was definitely ho-hum, but it really didn't bother me that much because I've always been of the opinion she should have known pretty much from word go of the reboot. At least by the time of the present day stories. Plus this isn't the story's big reveal anyway. The release of the secret to the world is. If that falls flat, that'll be a much bigger deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    she didn't had a multi-faceted reaction. some fans were dissapointed that whe was just angry at clark. this end up being the worse reveal
    Yes, she did. Outwardly yes she was upset. But she doesn't pack up and leave. She stays to help. If some fans think she was only just mad at Clark and displayed nothing else, then those fans too have a problem comprehending actions instead of just words. She doesn't see him the same way anymore, but that is completely understandable. Nothing she does or says makes her look bad. It makes her look like an actual character. Its not a great reveal, but it gets it out of the way. The reveal isn't the big event of this story.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-31-2015 at 09:22 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Fair point, we'll see what happens when the whole world finds out. Still not sold on his identity being public but I can roll with it. Hopefully that won't be as ho hum as this was.

I actually have no problem with Lois, here. I mean she isn't MY ideal Lois Lane but she's pretty on point to her depictions within the NEW 52 thus far, I'd say. The characters sounded pretty alright to me, Jimmy especially. Even if some of the dialogue fell flat.

Art wise, I think this book is on a whole 'nother level. JRjr is so good here, I think he's at his strongest here actually. It's just a wonderful looking book with lots of energy on the page. I love his Superman in battle and I love his Lois. The scene on the bus with Lois and Clark bickering like an old couple was really well done. Beautiful book.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-01-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Looking back, I definitely overvalued this issue in the heat of the "this wasn't UTTERLY terrible in the way the last issue was!" moment. The way Lois figured out the identity was unethical, Clark was an idiot, and it was generally poorly written. I'll keep an ear to the ground for future developments, but for now I'm done with this book.
    Buh-bye

I found this issue pretty dull. I'd been hoping to finally get a 2nd Super-book as good as Action but I'm disappointed so far.

There's still time for Mr Yang to improve, though, and I'll be sticking with the book to see if he does.

P.S. I also really don't get all the Lois hate doing the rounds. I've always been pretty indifferent to her and her perfectly reasonable responses in this issue did nothing to change that.
    You will need a miracle to defeat us, mutant! You are severely outnumbered!
    My brother's the one who cares about numbers.
    THUNK
    I'm the one who believes in miracles.

Considering the storyline its just something that's going to bring out both extremes is all. You're gonna get the mega Lois haters expressing their hate with glee over her actions, making anything she does out to be far worse than it really is. Then you're going to have the super Lois fans, who don't want anything less than a pristine and perfect character whom the whole mythos should revolve around. They too will make every move she makes here far worse than it really is. Both sides just for different ends.

Its guaranteed to get people talking either way. Hell its had people talking for months on end now and we still don't know the whole story.

As far as this run I'm definitely sticking around. There's tons of room for improvement and thus far the goals and inspirations read a whole lot better than the actual product, but its only two issues, and because of those intriguing goals and inspirations, I'm more than willing to see if Yang settles into this and we get some better pacing. That's really my only concern at this point, as the overuse of the flare is a concern now for the books since that was the last we're gonna see of it, at least in the main Superman books, for a long time if not for good. There's still tons of potential to be realized. One good issue and one so-so issue doesn't dispel my hopes on that.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-01-2015 at 02:07 PM.

well, I've finally read it; I have to admit, I like Hoard_root more than i thought i would, and I'm still not sure who he really is. I'm still not sure how i feel about Lois, or the Solar Flare power. The writer seems to be using it a lot, and it's affecting Clark's powers, causing him to lose them for longer periods of time. All this is leading up to Clark adapting the jeans and T-shirt look, which is something else I'm not thrilled with. so the ride is still making me a bit uncomfortable, and I'm not sure what the new Status quo will be once the ride is over.

Actually the more he's used the flare, the less time he's without his powers. That's not the cause of his power loss, its whatever that mysterious guy did when he touched Superman when he used it.