Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Rob Liefeld: Marvel is attempting to snub X-men to get at Fox

It seems as though rumors concerning the FOX shut-out courtesy of Marvel are true for the X-Men as well, though in a different field. The X-Men comics are some of the highest selling Marvel series being published so their cancellation is out of the question, but if Rob Liefeld is to be believed, they could be doing something else to hurt the X-Men films.

Here is what Liefled had to say on the subject:

X-Men will match If not exceed ASM2's domestic box office, meaning lots of eyeballs, but there are no toy tie-ins. The Fox shut out is real.

It's not $$$$ that matters in this strategy, it's the hearts and minds of kids/toy buyers, not-too-subtly communicating what's "important"

Cap 2 toys & ASM2 toys everywhere, X-Men - zippo. No promotions from toy aisles. Starve those properties. Makes X-Men comeback impressive!

No emotion in these facts/reporting, it's just numbers and business. But the messages are clear.

X-Men DOFP toys would get in the way of upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy onslaught of toys.

Bottom line, it's a ballsy move to downgrade properties with high profile, big budget support in favor of stuff you control wholesale.

Gotta respect it. And equal respect to those properties slugging it out without equal support across multiple platforms.

I root for the underdog, and as a result of the Fox ownership of X-Men films, the best selling X-Family has to work a whole lot harder.

X-Men Days of Future Past has made $500 million in one week. Sit. Down. This is a franchise surging after a post Last Stand lull.

For the record, I have no opinion in the Fantastic Four rumors. Need proof about cancelled comics. I'm commenting on toy freeze outs only.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-men_...ipK3tRUKiP6.99

There are more tweets on this matter from Rob in the link

I'm with Rob. I'm rooting for the X-men. And not just because they are the underdogs right now. I love Cap though and am pumped for Avengers 2 though

Well it's certainly clear they're not trying to push the film in any way. Didn't even the marvel site list the film as coming soon even though it had already been released for days? Also, wouldn't Fox get all the money from DoFP toys? If so, I can see why they wouldn't bother to put any out. At least with ASM2 Marvel actually gets all the money from toy sales since they negotiated that from Sony I believe.
    Last edited by Saturius; 06-01-2014 at 05:16 PM.

BANNED

Why would Marvel spend a ton of cash to promote their most hated competitor's film?

BANNED

well they are certainly working hard to make the X-Comics as different as possible from the X-Movies. I hope they get rid of Evan and never mention Apocalypse ever again

Incredible Member

I wonder if this is why they are killing Wolverine? I realize that there is a sense of fatigue around him because Marvel seemed to have thrown him into every book they possibly could, but maybe it's actually because he is such a big part of the film universe. I mean, it just seems like the last 7 X-films have all been about Wolverine in some way. With the success of this film and Hugh Jackman's renewed energy at wanting to keep Wolverine going, maybe this is Marvel's answer?

Rob certainly never has a problem with expressing his opinions.. and I love him for that. This whole thing is messed up.. and shame on Marvel (publishing) if they go full bore with this crap. Go X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Rob certainly never has a problem with expressing his opinions.. and I love him for that. This whole thing is messed up.. and shame on Marvel (publishing) if they go full bore with this crap. Go X-Men.
    You can't blame publishing, these orders come from the top. Disney has publishing by the balls.

Wouldn't Marvel make money off the toys and merchandise though? I'm sure they're doing this but just need to clarify that

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Wouldn't Marvel make money off the toys and merchandise though? I'm sure they're doing this but just need to clarify that
    Probably not much. Toys just aren't a big a deal as they used to be. You can check any Walmart and see that...

Kid don't buy figures anymore just like they don't buy comics and no movie is going to change that.

But the X-Men are getting a toy line. A little later than the movie, but this is coming out at the end of the month.

http://comicsalliance.com/hasbro-x-m...-r-us-jubilee/

No movie tie-ins, but those are mostly modern versions of the x-men.

yes girl the struggle is real.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Man, they really expect this whole GotG thing to take off, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Valeficent View Post
    well they are certainly working hard to make the X-Comics as different as possible from the X-Movies. I hope they get rid of Evan and never mention Apocalypse ever again
    It's not just that either. Marvel is trying to push the inhumans to takeover the X-Men's longstanding theme of mistreated group of minorities fighting for they're right to exist - in both the movie-verse (which makes sense) and the comic-verse (which does not make sense). I wouldn't be surprised if it were some twisted goal of theirs to downplay and downgrade the X-Men's status so that the franchise will gradually lose its bank-ability (won't happen), and the Avengers/MU will overpower everything else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by teddyeatsyourface View Post
    It's not just that either. Marvel is trying to push the inhumans to takeover the X-Men's longstanding theme of mistreated group of minorities fighting for they're right to exist - in both the movie-verse (which makes sense) and the comic-verse (which does not make sense). I wouldn't be surprised if it were some twisted goal of theirs to downplay and downgrade the X-Men's status so that the franchise will gradually lose its bank-ability (won't happen), and the Avengers/MU will overpower everything else.
    Hey Teddy, long time no see! I am glad to see you back in the saddle again!

I'm not entirely sold on this snub the X-Men and ruin one of their franchises deliberately. It's not a good business practice no matter what situation. If anything Marvel should be using Fox's X-Men movies as free publicity for the X-Men comics. Push a bunch of X-Men comics to the stands with high quality, inclusive stories that make new readers want to jump in and keep reading X-Men comics. Marvel's Avengers movie did that, so why not do the same thing, but make Fox Studios spend the money making the film, and Marvel get the income from increased X-Men comics sold from curious newcomers.