Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 47879394959697
Results 1,441 to 1,454 of 1454

That's an...interesting face for Billy .

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    Question- does captain marvel/shazam lose something by having it so heavily a team,instead of just billy?

This was a great 1st issue
    Naturally.

It's the classic problem with a team. If you have a team, you need to USE the team. Superman and Batman on the Justice League are constantly sidelined with issues to let Aquaman and Martian Manhunter things to do... same happens here. Billy by his very nature SHOULD be able to handle nearly any crisis on his own.. but with a team of similar powered characters, He's going to be in over his head and need everyone's help. It's like Green Lantern. Back when there was only ONE GL per sector, One GL was all you needed. Hal could stop alien invasions on his own... now that he has partners, precincts and the whole Corp crawling everywhere... He's always needing backup.

Even in the 90's he 'shared' his power with Jr. and mary… and that quite LITERALLY caused him to lose something. Still there were only 3 and it kind of worked... but bumping it up so high now...

It will be interesting to see if Johns can make it work. I'm still doubtful of THAT big a family.

Kon93

I like that he gives them all a portion of his power,but it should be a portion,not fully powered equals to Billy imo.i hope Billy can still standout when the others are always there and always ready to be powered up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    I like that he gives them all a portion of his power,but it should be a portion,not fully powered equals to Billy imo.i hope Billy can still standout when the others are always there and always ready to be powered up.
    Can we try and share the book while it relaunches?
    Billy stands out fine, just like he did when Mary and Freddy and the Lieutenant Marvels were fully powered and around before. And the main story still centers on Billy, especially with the big reveal at the end, he and his personal story are clearly the heart of it.
    Not surprisingly somewhere else there is another faction also complaining that it's Mary or Freddy the ones not "standing out", not getting enough attention and questioning their "power" level.
    What we can hope for is if this sells well, we can hopefully finally get spin-off books too, like we did once before, focusing on the others Mary, and Freddy specifically.
    And maybe even one for the three new Lieutenants Eugene, Darla, & Pedro who have their fans too now.
    Once upon a time even Hoppy had his own book, so if the back-up story surprise is an indication, this franchise is just starting to build it's foundation.
    Lets give it a chance.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-07-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Can we try and share the book while it relaunches?
    Billy stands out fine, just like he did when Mary and Freddy and the Lieutenant Marvels were fully powered and around before. .
    People keep bringing up the Lieutenant Marvels.... but do they really count? I can honestly say I've NEVER seen them in a book before. Looking them up online at Wikipedia and DC Database... it says they had a grand total of 8 appearances up to COIE and 2 appearances in post infinite Crisis. Which since I HAVE read COIE, I must have seen them... but they didn't make an impression.

That's like saying that Bizarro doesn't steal Superman's spotlight... he's just a guest star not a member of 'the team'. They were created in 1941 and Eugene, Darla, & Pedro have almost surpassed them already :P

Also the powers section said that the Lieutenants all have the same powers as Billy but they all share the power, so each one is 1/3 the Power of the Captain.... Which I'm guesing is where Ordway got the idea for the 90's relaunch...

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    People keep bringing up the Lieutenant Marvels.... but do they really count? .
    Do they count? As part of the SHAZAM Family yes! They always have, you can add (non powered) Freckles too!
    There is precedence for Billy sharing the power like this.

I can honestly say I've NEVER seen them in a book before. Looking them up online at Wikipedia .....
    OMG They are referencing and building on something I never heard of, it's not exactly the way I know it ...so I don't want it.

Ok Who has time for that, so don't read it. Go back to read the Shazam without a Family.
    ...Oh right, he's benn sharing the power and groing a family almost forever. Sorry. LOL!: p

"Marvels here, - Marvels there, - Marvels, Marvels Everywhere!"

And really this is what you are complaining about, Billy still the main focus of the book.
    Did you catch the set up and main last page reveal, that's all about Billy!
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-15-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Do they count? As part of the SHAZAM Family yes! They always have, you can add Freckles too!

OMG They are referencing and building on something I never heard of, it's not exactly the way I know it ...so I don't want it.

Ok Who has time for that, so don't read it. Go back to read the Shazam without a Family.
    ...Oh right, he's benn sharing the power and groing a family almost forever. Sorry. LOL!

Well, that's ONE....

Again, according to the appearance database, you can also include. Captain Marvel Adentures Vol 1 # 4, 62, 71. Shazam vol 1. #8 and 30 and Whiz Comics Vol 1 #21. And then Crisis on Infinite Earths #12 where there world is destroyed/merged and they are either erased or depowered and never seen again.

'Always have' and a considering them a core part of the 'family'... that's just exaggeration at best and outright lie at the worst. They've had EIGHT appearances in almost 80 years. 5 of which were in the 40's and 2 in the 70's... So let's not pretend they deserve the same kind of respect and awe that Freddy and Mary deserve. Even the original writers didn't bother with them. Hoppy, Tawky, Dudley... they all got a lot of spotlight... but the Lieutenants NEVER did. They have been a forgotten footnote for almost 4 decades and 3 reboots. Freckles is even worse. THREE appearances. I think Lois Lane has gained Kryptonian super powers more times than she has appeared.

Captain Marvel always had a family, nobody is denying that. But it wasn't that BIG of a family and they didn't all crowd the same book every month.

LOL nobody said you had to respect and be in awe of them. Don't read it!
    The theme of this incarnation has been on him sharing the power and building a family, which he's done.
    It didn't come from nowhere, it's not some horrible betrayal of the character like some are suggesting.
    Whether you knew it or not, there has been precedence for Billy sharing power this way, by the creators and even later interpretations. It's absolutely true to the theme and spirit of the character. It's what Billy does, and that's what they are building on.

They have been a forgotten footnote
    LOL "Forgotten" = You never heard of them, so they can't be a thing?

I actually wish the new kids wore their uniform lapels that way, gives them a more military look. And that they had given themselves ranks like Captain, Lieutenants etc..

Anyway, even if there is no direct references, it's the theme that's important, not those specific characters.
    You can see them as reinvention or not.
    The main gist is going to be Family, sharing the power, and Billy is living among a foster family. This is new. that's a big part of it.
    "Family is what you make it" is the theme of Johns' take, it's rooted in the history of the character.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-08-2018 at 06:45 AM.

He says - "That is your secret spell, your ultimate power"

That is what he does with the power!. makes a family.
    It's one of the best aspects of the story, absolutely reaffirming and true to the spirit of the original character.
    And this ongoing is building on that.

And again since some seem to ignore this part:
    Billy is still the main focus of the book. Did you catch the last page reveal of the main story, you don't get to pretend that doesn't exist, this set up is all about him!
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-09-2018 at 06:16 AM.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

I’m really excited about this issue. It sounds great! I’m just going to wait for the trade, it’ll be cheaper in the long run. Unless they do something really awful, this’ll be a definite buy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Make sure to make your preorders.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Last edited by Güicho; 01-01-2019 at 06:27 PM.