Page 96 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4686929394959697 LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 1454
    Fantastic Member

Still so very happy for SEN for getting to draw Shazam officially.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, that moment definitely feels more like the old Billy.

The art for the Mary section looks a lot like that anime-esque Shazam fanart.
    Funny you should say that, because the artist drawing those parts was originally a Japanese fan artist who got noticed by Johns is now drawing the backups for the book. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08...-shazam-comic/

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    ... his attitude has massively improved.
    Did you read the first story arc, that already happened by the end of the story.
    That was kind of the whole point of the story "arc".

I guess we get a quick recap for those who didn't.

Last edited by Güicho; 12-05-2018 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

The art for the Mary section looks a lot like that anime-esque Shazam fanart.
    If you look back throughout this thread, we've been celebrating her art all during the SHAZAM hiatus, Sen kind of visually kept the character and family "alive" for the fans, while DC reinvented itself, this thread is full of her art going way back.
    2014:
    - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...l=1#post550640
    - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...l=1#post563300
    - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...l=1#post610985
    It's been pretty great to find out she was given the back up stories, and is now officially part of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Still so very happy for SEN for getting to draw Shazam officially.
    Absolutely !
    That she gets to tell Mary's back story is pretty great.
    Hopefully it's popular enough for Mary to get her own book.
    How long has that been?
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-05-2018 at 05:38 AM.

Also interesting they are still going by the Seven (including the main Wizard) Council of Eternity Wizards and Sorcerers.
    Is there no longer direct reference to the classic 6 specific who make up the acronym SHAZAM ?
    Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury ?
    I can't even remember them being mentioned in the original back up tales.

inside the Rock of Eternity, along with a map of something called the Seven Magic Lands. When they reach those realms, Johns promises they will be unlike anything else in the DC Universe — since Shazam is unlike any other superhero.

“There’s a huge mythology behind Billy, ..... there are seven thrones…it all will become part of the bigger story.”
    I mean I know it's a new "council" from the back ups

, I love the idea of expanding those who lent their attributes, into being other wizards and sorcerers, mythical beings throughout time and place, (like one calling on the name and magic can pull from almost anywhere magical) and further that there are different realms, one for each throne. etc...
    This really makes it more expansive, that anyone channeling the power could bring attributes from other legends mythologies from across the globe, and time, and that the acronym itself could reference different beings, depending on who was channeling it, (as we've seen for Mary and Teth Adam) gives it a sense it's been going on forever, with no limits.
    I just figured at some point the classic six who specifically gave Billy the attributes he channels were a part of it.
    As per the preview recap above, are they just no longer being referenced at all?

Also that box above looks like it has some Kirby-esque 4th World designs? One of the realms?
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-05-2018 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Also interesting they are still going by the Seven (including the main Wizard) Council of Eternity Wizards and Sorcerers.
    Is there no longer direct reference to the classic 6 specific who make up the acronym SHAZAM ?
    Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury ?
    I can't even remember them being mentioned in the original back up tales.

I mean I know it's a new "council" from the back ups

, I love the idea of expanding those who lent their attributes, into being other wizards and sorcerers, mythical beings throughout time and place, (like one calling on the name and magic can pull from almost anywhere magical) and further that there are different realms, one for each throne. etc...
    This really makes it more expansive, that anyone channeling the power could bring attributes from other legends mythologies from across the globe, and time, and that the acronym itself could reference different beings, depending on who was channeling it, (as we've seen for Mary and Teth Adam) gives it a sense it's been going on forever, with no limits.
    I just figured at some point the classic six who specifically gave Billy the attributes he channels were a part of it.
    As per the preview recap above, are they just no longer being referenced at all?

Also that box above looks like it has some Kirby-esque 4th World designs? One of the realms?
    Cap/Shazams Power of God's one shot during Darkseid War was involved finding replacements, at least for during the event, since Darkseid's death caused a shock wave that severed their connection. That is the last time any mention of who is giving the power got brought up.

Just read #1, and liked it a lot
    Dont know how to use Spoiler Tags, so if anyone can helpnme with that, I will edit the post later

So we get a quick recap on Billy's Origin in the n52 era (with some small tweaks), the School trip, and the Train Station sections, and I really liked all of them !

It was really nice to see Billy's characterization, and his interactions with his whole family was the highlight for me
    Overall it was a good start, and the direction and tone of the story seems promising

Regarding the back-up story, it was quite bittersweet, but with lot of sugar towars the end
    Mary went through hard times, because of her abusive family, but that didnt bent her golder heart
    Watching her donating the money she had was really sweet, and she got rewarded for it later
    And that final scene, for some reason, made me tear a bit
    It was beautiful

I didnt know that a fan art artist was the artist (heh) for this one, but I am glad she got her dream fulfiled by getting to draw this book ! I am eager to see her art next month

What a fantastic first issue! It was fun, light hearted, and a much needed breath of fresh air in this modern grim dark DC universe. I thought it was everything a Captain Marvel book should be. Really looking forward to where Johns takes us! SHAZAM!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Wow two great surprise reveals at the end of each story.
    Do we start a separate thread for those who've read it? Cause the first one was pretty huge.
    And the last one quite joyful!

I guess I'll discuss the other stuff,
    The recap: yeah I'm glad the recap was quick, just a few caption boxes.
    So Billy instantly gets help, the first thing we discover is the Shazam Family can in fact all now power up themselves.
    Billy's act at the end of the 52back-Ups was in fact permanent, they can now all call on the power themselves to transform.
    I was wondering if that would be the case going forward?

The Name?
    LOL at all the kids debating what name to go by, pretty much the whole discussion mirrored several ones we had here.
    Although I can't remember anyone suggesting Captain Sparkles! Or the Sparkly Friends ! LOL

The map, love the train station room, which builds on the original train that brought Billy.
    And the set up for the 7 Realms.

Great page, Eaglesham's art is fantastic. So the Magiclands reads very much like Disneyland map.
    Each has it's own symbol, repeated on the seven thrones.
    The main Wizards is the center Rock of Eternity a globe with lightning
    One to the left looks like a maze, as does the land it represents and endless landscape of mazes.
    The amusement park one.
    One with a castle and rainbow, uses the standard SHAZAM bolt.
    At the bottom, the one looks like a safety warning sign, that land contains pyramids, could be Kahndaq related?
    And two more?

Great fun set up, looking forward to more Captain Sparkles!
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-06-2018 at 05:41 AM.

Man this was a fun read. Right up there with Super Sons for me. Looking forward to the next.

Kon93

Question- does captain marvel/shazam lose something by having it so heavily a team,instead of just billy?

This was a great 1st issue

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    Question- does captain marvel/shazam lose something by having it so heavily a team,instead of just billy?

I don’t think so, but we will see how it will be handled. Even in the classic Jerry Ordway’s Power of Shazam, Billy shared his book with a number of supporting characters.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post

Not for me, Billy could always share the power, with Mary, Freddy, plus there was the Lieutenant Marvels.
    This puts them all under one roof, but the set up looks like fun, very Goonies (or for the newer gen. Stranger Things) gang going on adventures.
    Also the main plot reveal is still all about Billy and his relationship with the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I don’t think so, but we will see how it will be handled. Even in the classic Jerry Ordway’s Power of Shazam, Billy shared his book with a number of supporting characters.
    Yeah, don't forget Freddy and Mary have been there since the golden age - and there were others before them! The only change in terms of team lineup is that they added three more Shazam Family team members so that it was more diverse, insetad of just bringing back those other older characters (the Uncle thing is incompatible with the fostering setup).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman